Red Fox and 'Friends'

Posted by Axel Hildebrandt on Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:36 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
R5, RF600f4, 2x, 1/1250s, f/9, ISO 2500, manual

Yesterday, I observed a very unusual situation. A Red Fox approached a pond, but contrary to my expectations, the birds didn't take off, instead they approached the fox without vocalizing or getting agitated. It looked as if they just wanted to let him know that they keep an eye on him, and all species joined. The fox didn't even try to go in the water, yawned and moved on after a stare down. I've never seen anything like this before.
Axel Hildebrandt

Posted by:
Axel Hildebrandt
Member #:00941

by MalcolmBenn on Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:47 pm
MalcolmBenn
Forum Contributor
Now that would have been interesting to see ... kind of like watching my 4 year old grandson stare at the bag of cookies in the cupboard, just out of reach and with Grandma watching him. Hmm maybe another time. I'll bet that Fox comes back again.
Malcolm Benn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8357466@N03/

by Carol Clarke on Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:26 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Nicely spotted Axel - it could be a very different tale in warmer weather. Foxes prefer to take nesting birds, their eggs or ducklings on land and will not go into water in winter cold unless they are very hungry, and even though I don't see snow, no doubt its quite cold? If they get their fur wet at this time of year it will drastically reduce their ability to keep warm and survive through the colder night. The ducks perhaps realise they are pretty safe as long as they stay on the pond!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Axel Hildebrandt on Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:30 pm
Axel Hildebrandt
Carol Clarke wrote: Nicely spotted Axel - it could be a very different tale in warmer weather.  Foxes prefer to take nesting birds, their eggs or ducklings on land and will not go into water in winter cold unless they are very hungry, and even though I don't see snow, no doubt its quite cold?  If they get their fur wet at this time of year it will drastically reduce their ability to keep warm and survive through the colder night.  The ducks perhaps realise they are pretty safe as long as they stay on the pond! 

Carol.
Thanks, Carol. It was not very cold, about 8 degree Celsius at the time but the nights can be frigid and without dry fur, things might get tricky for the fox. I was most surprised all the ducks and geese congregated to look at their visitor. 
Axel Hildebrandt

by Carol Clarke on Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:03 pm
Carol Clarke
Axel Hildebrandt wrote:
Carol Clarke wrote: Nicely spotted Axel - it could be a very different tale in warmer weather.  Foxes prefer to take nesting birds, their eggs or ducklings on land and will not go into water in winter cold unless they are very hungry, and even though I don't see snow, no doubt its quite cold?  If they get their fur wet at this time of year it will drastically reduce their ability to keep warm and survive through the colder night.  The ducks perhaps realise they are pretty safe as long as they stay on the pond! 

Carol.
Thanks, Carol. It was not very cold, about 8 degree Celsius at the time but the nights can be frigid and without dry fur, things might get tricky for the fox. I was most surprised all the ducks and geese congregated to look at their visitor. 
Safer than turning their back on it........  keep your predator in plain sight...  :) 
Carol Clarke

NSN0067

by Axel Hildebrandt on Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:29 pm
Axel Hildebrandt
Carol Clarke wrote: Axel Hildebrandt

Carol.

Safer than turning their back on it........  keep your predator in plain sight...  :) 
I wish they would all swim toward me when I go there. Aside from Mallards waiting for handouts, they all keep their distance. Maybe I should wear a fox costume. :) 
Axel Hildebrandt

by Carol Clarke on Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:02 pm
Carol Clarke
Sounds like a good idea Axel.  :) 

Carol.
Carol Clarke

NSN0067

by david fletcher on Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:21 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
The crafty old fox. Wouldn't bet against it revisiting on a different agenda. Super sighting.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Dan Kearl on Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:16 pm
Dan Kearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:22021
Great find!! Unusual for sure, an image with a lot of interest.

by Cynthia Crawford on Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:46 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Great story and sighting! Maybe the fox wasn't really hungry-just checking out a future meal? The fox is staring at the goose that isn't facing it....I'll bet it wouldn't go well for the fox to try to get that goose with it's probable mate nearby, even if it was willing to get wet. It sure would be interesting to see what might have happened. And perhaps you will see it another time....
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

10 posts |