Moderator: Greg Downing

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:56 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I just received a notification about a new posting on a gallery image that I had commented on last night. It said it was from editors @ naturescapes.com. The odd thing is that it came in on two different email addresses that I don't use on Naturescapes and I have never asked to be notified of new postings on a subject or topic. It was specific about the subject and who had posted the new reply. It had three links to click on for posting, topic and forum. Is this legitimate? Of course, I didn't click on the links, but I'm suspicious of the source of the emails, since they are not to the accounts I use on NSN.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Mark L on Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:59 am
Mark L
Forum Contributor
Every time you reply/comment there is a box at the bottom that says "Notify me when a reply is posted" which is by default checked.  I don't remember what email address the notifications come from, but the message you describe sounds exactly like what I have been receiving after replies/comments.

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:04 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Thanks for your reply, Mark. I have never intentionally checked or unchecked that box, or even noticed it. This is the first time I've gotten a notification, but when I checked my profile, I saw that several other topics were shown to be followed. It's strange that this is the only time I've received an email about it. I guess it may just be an electronic quirk. Thanks.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by nclements on Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:50 am
nclements
Development Team
Member #:99999
This might be a result of the recent server upgrade. One of the things that's improved is the outgoing email is now more reliable from the server. The previous server was blacklisted by IP address on a few lists which caused certain providers (Verizon and Yahoo! in particular, I believe) to block it. So emails from that production server, such as those from the forums, would never make it through. Emails directly from the back office would be allowed because they'd be sent through a different route. With the new server I made sure the email and DNS was configured correctly.

As was noted, you can uncheck the "Notify me when a reply is posted" option (on the full post page, not quick reply). If you want to control all notifications go to your profile (Edit Profile at the top of the page), select Board Preferences from the left side, then select Edit notification options.

Hope this helps.

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:49 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Thanks, that explains it.

Joe

5 posts |