Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 26 posts | 
by schlansker on Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:23 pm
schlansker
Forum Contributor
I have succumbed to temptation and now have my new A7R 5.   I am in love.  For landscapes and people, the camera is greatly improved as in E. J. 's review. I was surprised at how much I appreciated the new viewfinder.  The OSS improvements should be a big deal for me too.

I took it out for a spin on the bay with the 200-600.  The new camera focuses faster and more accurately on a moving animal than A7r IV.  When I focused on the standing heron the camera reassuringly indicated that it had correctly achieved eye AF. It isolated a gull's eye and tracked flight even using the 1.4x TC.  It isolated a sparrow's eye amid a mess of twigs.  In a first outing, I thought the A7R V autofocus easily outperformed its predecessor in all regards.  Many of the benefits of the advertised AF features were easily demonstrated. My keeper rate will  go up, I can make better use of the 1.4x TC, and I will find new ways to use the AF.

I think I have found the right primary camera for me for the next few years.  I will take it out this afternoon for a walk in the woods.

Thanks all.

by schlansker on Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:30 am
schlansker
Forum Contributor
I just noticed that a firmware update  is recommended for the 200-600 lens (version 02) with the new A7 R5 body.  I went through the firmware update successfully. Hope it helps.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:29 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
schlansker wrote:I just noticed that a firmware update  is recommended for the 200-600 lens (version 02) with the new A7 R5 body.  I went through the firmware update successfully. Hope it helps.
Thanks for that :)

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:00 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
There is also an update for the 100-400!

by Mark L on Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:56 pm
Mark L
Forum Contributor
And also an update for the 24-105 and other lenses.  I have not dug into what the updates say has changed, but anyone with Sony E mount lenses should check this page for updates:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/suppor ... unt-lenses

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:37 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Mark L wrote:And also an update for the 24-105 and other lenses.  I have not dug into what the updates say has changed, but anyone with Sony E mount lenses should check this page for updates:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/suppor ... unt-lenses
It's mostly about making the lenses compatible with the new AF features introduced with the a7R5.

26 posts |