Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 28 posts | 
by neverspook on Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:24 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
OK that’s good to know, E. J.. Much appreciated. I am new to iPhones. Before this one I had a 20 year old Motorola flip phone. I had to upgrade because that one would no longer work in the US on the new 5G network. :-) Now that I have one I don’t know how I function without a smart phone all this time.

by Wildflower-nut on Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:26 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
My solution is a 220v stand alone surge protector with European male and USA female outlets (still 220v but US plug).  I then use a cheap hardware store six foot polarized (one prong on plug wider than the other) extension cord (rated 110-220) with three USA outlets.  My battery chargers, usb converters, laptop computer and anything else I have plug into it are all rated at 110 and 220.  The only difference between USA and overseas for me is the stand alone surge protectors I use.  The surge protector has two outlets.  My computer is the only thing I have that requires a grounded plug so it is plugged into the surge protectors second outlet.  The problem I see with a 220 power strip is all the outlets will then require an adapter to accept the USA plug all my equipment has.

My stand alone surge protectors for 110 and 220 were purchased a long time ago.  Not sure how easy they are to find anymore.  I use the Nitecore USB chargers for my camera batteries.  They accept 2 batteries and are small.  I can charge two batteries with something smaller than a single canon charger, takes up fewer 110 positions on the cord and are also usable in the car with a cigarette lighter to usb conversion plug. 

by neverspook on Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:00 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
Wildflower-nut wrote:My solution is a 220v stand alone surge protector with European male and USA female outlets (still 220v but US plug).  I then use a cheap hardware store six foot polarized (one prong on plug wider than the other) extension cord (rated 110-220) with three USA outlets.  My battery chargers, usb converters, laptop computer and anything else I have plug into it are all rated at 110 and 220.  The only difference between USA and overseas for me is the stand alone surge protectors I use.  The surge protector has two outlets.  My computer is the only thing I have that requires a grounded plug so it is plugged into the surge protectors second outlet.  The problem I see with a 220 power strip is all the outlets will then require an adapter to accept the USA plug all my equipment has.

My stand alone surge protectors for 110 and 220 were purchased a long time ago.  Not sure how easy they are to find anymore.  I use the Nitecore USB chargers for my camera batteries.  They accept 2 batteries and are small.  I can charge two batteries with something smaller than a single canon charger, takes up fewer 110 positions on the cord and are also usable in the car with a cigarette lighter to usb conversion plug. 

Interesting idea. Do you mean something like this? https://www.amazon.com/BSEED-Electronic-Protector-Appliance-Refrigerators/dp/B0969N8PBS/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=220v%2Bsurge%2Bprotector&qid=1664128445&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI1LjIyIiwicXNhIjoiNC41MyIsInFzcCI6IjQuMTMifQ%3D%3D&sr=8-4&th=1

And then you just put in a plane or non-search protected Cord with 220 V rating and plug a regular 110 V power strip into that for your charging?

Kind of reluctant to use anything other than the official Canon charger for my batteries just in case that hoses them up. Canon advises against doing that tho of course they have a vested interest in my buying their own chargers.

by Wildflower-nut on Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:43 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
neverspook wrote:
Wildflower-nut wrote:My solution is a 220v stand alone surge protector with European male and USA female outlets (still 220v but US plug).  I then use a cheap hardware store six foot polarized (one prong on plug wider than the other) extension cord (rated 110-220) with three USA outlets.  My battery chargers, usb converters, laptop computer and anything else I have plug into it are all rated at 110 and 220.  The only difference between USA and overseas for me is the stand alone surge protectors I use.  The surge protector has two outlets.  My computer is the only thing I have that requires a grounded plug so it is plugged into the surge protectors second outlet.  The problem I see with a 220 power strip is all the outlets will then require an adapter to accept the USA plug all my equipment has.

Interesting idea. Do you mean something like this? https://www.amazon.com/BSEED-Electronic-Protector-Appliance-Refrigerators/dp/B0969N8PBS/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=220v%2Bsurge%2Bprotector&qid=1664128445&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI1LjIyIiwicXNhIjoiNC41MyIsInFzcCI6IjQuMTMifQ%3D%3D&sr=8-4&th=1

And then you just put in a plane or non-search protected Cord with 220 V rating and plug a regular 110 V power strip into that for your charging?

Kind of reluctant to use anything other than the official Canon charger for my batteries just in case that hoses them up. Canon advises against doing that tho of course they have a vested interest in my buying their own chargers.
That is the general idea but the one you picked is for 20amp.  You need something that accepts a std us 110v 15smp plug.  I spent some time looking around and I could not find one.  The other problem is not all international outlets are alike.  Mine came with a kit to convert to different international sockets.

by neverspook on Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:57 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
Wildflower-nut wrote:
neverspook wrote:

That is the general idea but the one you picked is for 20amp.  You need something that accepts a std us 110v 15smp plug.  I spent some time looking around and I could not find one.  The other problem is not all international outlets are alike.  Mine came with a kit to convert to different international sockets.
Well I think just an adaptor plug to get into the foreign wall would be OK but the other point you raised is much more alarming. So you had a look and couldn’t find anything suitable available right now is that correct? Thank you.

by ivan rothman on Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:15 am
ivan rothman
Forum Contributor
I contacted Anker support about the ability to use their power strips on 220V. Their answer is that you can do that safely. Here is their exact statement:

"Please know that most of our power strips can support 100-240V for travel use. But the product itself and the manual only state 125V. This is because of certification.

About the input--125V/10A located on the product and specification, it is the standard design for the US. In addition, according to the new changes in NRTL(Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory) certification requirements, we are not allowed to print 100-240V on the product itself.

To view more about if Anker power strips support 100-240V input, please visit: https://support.anker.com/s/article/Do- ... nal-travel Noted that some of the new models haven't been added to this article and they support 100-240V input.

In this case, the answer is yes, you can use it in 220V outlets and plug your devices into the AC outlets of the power strip safely."

by neverspook on Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:04 am
neverspook
Forum Contributor
ivan rothman wrote:I contacted Anker support about the ability to use their power strips on 220V.   Their answer is that you can do that safely.   Here is their exact statement:

"Please know that most of our power strips can support 100-240V for travel use. But the product itself and the manual only state 125V. This is because of certification.

About the input--125V/10A located on the product and specification, it is the standard design for the US. In addition, according to the new changes in NRTL(Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory) certification requirements, we are not allowed to print 100-240V on the product itself.

To view more about if Anker power strips support 100-240V input, please visit: https://support.anker.com/s/article/Do- ... nal-travel Noted that some of the new models haven't been added to this article and they support 100-240V input.

In this case, the answer is yes, you can use it in 220V outlets and plug your devices into the AC outlets of the power strip safely."

Great, thanks. Good that they give a list of ones that support 220V.

by photoman4343 on Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:41 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
When I was in Tanzania and Botswana, I used a 220V power strip made by Wonpro. I do not know if it is dual or just 220V. I have also used a setup like what Wildflower-nut describes, but I am less clear on all of the details for each item.

This link will show you info n the wonpro:

https://www.amazon.com/Wonpro-WES4-D107 ... ENJAM?th=1

Please note that you can get it with different hard wired plugs and cords. If you get the model with a US plug, you will need n adapter plug or plugs for other countries.

Also note its dimensions. It is big.
Joe Smith

28 posts |