« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Brian Stirling on Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:56 am
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
Recently received the Sony A7 IV but there's a problem with Affinity Photo and lossless compressed images.  I could change the camera to uncompressed but that would significantly increase file size, transfer time and storage requirement.  Or I could go with the compressed option but that would entail some loss in data.  So, what's the best option?

I generally sort the images and delete only the garbage ones so my archive is RAW files.  My preference would be lossless compression to get all the sensor captures but with smaller file sizes, but Affinity, for some reason, chokes on lossless compressed.  I have to hope they'll update there file converter to be able to decompress the RAW file but in the interim, is there a file converter that will take the lossless RAW file, convert it to uncompressed RAW that Affinity can handle?

I should mention that I've been away from photography for a while and dropped Adobe Suite a few years ago with no desire to go back to Adobe.  Affinity seems sufficient for my needs other than the file handling issue.

Thanks,

Brian

by Alan Melle on Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:22 pm
Alan Melle
Lifetime Member
Member #:00041
I also am still waiting for Affinity to support Sony lossless compressed raw files. DxO Photolab does support the Sony lossless compressed raw files and that is what I'm using presently. I don't know about Capture One at this time but I'm sure others here can confirm/deny that for you.
Alan Melle
NSN0041

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:29 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The "best" approach is Capture One for RAW processing of any type of Sony file and then you can send them to Affinity from there ;)

by Brian Stirling on Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:32 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
E.J. Peiker wrote:The "best" approach is Capture One for RAW processing of any type of Sony file and then you can send them to Affinity from there ;)
While Capture One is a great RAW image processor and has additional editing tools that make it nearly suitable by itself it is not cheap at $300.  My solution will be to switch to uncompressed and avoid the need for third party converters.  I do wish Affinity would upgrade there software to handle lossless compressed RAW.

Brian

4 posts |