Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Jens Peermann on Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:42 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Today is the 175th birthday of Zeiss, the second oldest brand for photography equipment (the oldest is Voigländer, 264 years) and the mother of all lens manufacturers. Zeiss is the one who wrote the book on how to design and build lenses for photography. Every lens designed, build and sold by any manufacturer or brand today is based on one of five designs that were developed by Zeiss between 1896 and 1956.

Happy birthday Zeiss!
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by signgrap on Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:41 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
My first 35mm camera in 1954, was a well used Zeiss Contax III range finder with f1.5 50mm Zeiss lens. The built-in meter didn't work but the rest of the camera worked well. Used the camera until 1963 when I sold it.
Dick Ludwig

by ADKShooter on Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:27 pm
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Member #:02167
I actually owned Leica SLR's from 1978-2014 when I belatedly made the switch to digital as Leica went in a medium format direction. When I made the switch to a Nikon DSLR I purchased several Zeiss lenses. They were all manual focus and very sharp and felt like a professional tool. I still own two of them and am very impressed with their IQ.

by Karl Egressy on Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:43 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
In good old times I bought a used folding bellows camera which had a Zeiss lens and it took wonderful black and white pictures until my five year old sun ran with the camera hanging from his neck and fell on his belly and the camera was gone. Fortunately he did not get hurt. Then I bought a Practika with a 50 mm f 2.8 Zeiss lens and used it for many years until I switched to Canon in the early eighties. I still would like to get a folding bellows camera that I had first time but unfortunately I forgot the name.
Karl.

4 posts |