All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 2 posts | 
by Brian Stirling on Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:32 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
Many of the action cameras from GoPro and the horde of Chinese knockoffs have a wide angle lens but also modes that drop that down, but my understanding is that the doing that comes at the expense of true resolution -- is that correct?  I am interested in getting a 4K action camera but 170 degrees is way too wide for my tastes for the kind of work I'd plan to use it for so if I were to use one of the narrower FOV settings I'd wind up with less than the 4K I'd planned on OR the 4K would be interpolated in some way -- not what I'd want.

Is there any 4K action cameras that have a narrower FOV of, say, 150 degrees or even less?  

Brian

by Barry C on Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:39 pm
Barry C
Forum Contributor
Brian Stirling wrote:Many of the action cameras from GoPro and the horde of Chinese knockoffs have a wide angle lens but also modes that drop that down, but my understanding is that the doing that comes at the expense of true resolution -- is that correct?  I am interested in getting a 4K action camera but 170 degrees is way too wide for my tastes for the kind of work I'd plan to use it for so if I were to use one of the narrower FOV settings I'd wind up with less than the 4K I'd planned on OR the 4K would be interpolated in some way -- not what I'd want.

Is there any 4K action cameras that have a narrower FOV of, say, 150 degrees or even less?  

Brian
Hi Brian, I can totally relate to your dilema, as I also have very little love for those wide FOVs.  I'm not aware of any action cam which doesn't use a very wide FOV for native 4K- although, perhaps, one exists which I'm not aware of. That being said, I have found the medium FOV on the Gopros- 2.7K- to be outstanding!  I regularly use it for 3D underwater work I do both for personal and professional projects. Since 4K 3D is not a viable format, it works well to downscale it to 1080 for 3D productions, whIle upscaling it to 4K for 2D ones. It is so good, I suspect that few, if any would be able to distinguish the upscaled 2.7K from native 4K. However, if using a Gopro, you should always use the Protune mode preferably with white balance and color raw and flat and doing the color grading in post.

2 posts |