Moderator: Greg Downing

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by pablo on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:17 am
pablo
Forum Contributor
I want to begin shooting DSLR video and don't want to initially put the money into a fluid head until I get a little experience. Initially, I plan to put together slide programs with some short video clips in among still images.  I largely photograph birds and think some video clips can set the scene for close up images, as an example. 

Seems best to get started simply and avoid buying a fluid head that is the wrong one.  I do have a Wimberley head on a very sturdy Gitzo tripod. Noting that the lens mounting rail on the Wimberley (for a big lens) is 90° to what is on the ARCA camera plate, it looks like I could adapt it to video using a long rail with a quick release clamp. I am looking at the one made by Kirk.  While I have up to a 400 mm f/2.8 lens, I think I will at first be shooting with shorter focal lengths for the video portions. 

Is this a practical way to begin?  Any suggestions on what to do, and what not to do?

Appreciate any helpful inputs.

Paul Schmitt

by Neilyb on Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:28 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
I have tried video with both Wimberly and ball head but nothing comes close to a fluid head. I am even thinking about a fluid head for my long lens work but they are heavy, or do not support enough weight. Problem with the Wimberly is the balance, fluid heads simply allow you to stop, let go and stay quite still. Once a Wimberly is tightened up it it harder to push around in a smooth manner. But of course if you have a wimberly already just give it a go... :)

by RLK on Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:52 am
RLK
Forum Contributor
Member #:01370
I don't shoot much video but when I do I use the Wimberley because I don't own a fluid head. With practice you can get good results but you have to mount the lens so that it is as balanced as possible and adjust the lateral and vertical knobs on the Wimberley so that there is just enough resistance to allow smooth movement. Shooting fast action such as birds in flight is much more difficult and if I planned to do that very often I would get a fluid head.
Bob
Bob Kothenbeutel
Website (under construction) www.rlkimages.photoshelter.com

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:08 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I use a Manfrotto 402 fluid head on a Gitzo CF for much of my long lens work (stills). I have used the Wimberleys and don't find much difference with a 500f4 and D700. The fluid head won't flop like a ballhead and gives smooth pans and tilts. It is not an expensive or overly heavy head. For video, it would work very well, in my opinion. I feel that the Wimberley sticks up too much and gets in the way. Just my 2 cents.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:01 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
You simply can't recreate the smoothness of motion of a fluid head with mechanical tension. If youa re a serious video shooter with panning needs, you really need a fluid head. However with some practice you might be able to get something useable but it won't touch the "fluidity" ;) of the fluid head :mrgreen:

5 posts |