« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 2 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:52 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Although this newsletter is advertising tours, it has a review and good sample images from the Canon 200-800mm zoom lens.

John Gerlach Newsletter

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by OntPhoto on Sun Jul 07, 2024 10:00 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I have already seen my share of positive reviews for the Canon RF 200-800 lens and was sold on it awhile ago.  A photographer I know has this lens and is picky about image quality.  This is my next lens.  I like the price too.  It's in between that too expensive and too cheap to be of high quality range.  One use for it is peregrine falcons which have a reputation of nesting on tall building or cliff edge rock faces. 

I thought about selling the 500 f4 II but the lens sure comes in handy when I need it.  Undecided about selling for now.  I'm willing to replace it with a 300 2.8L (add a 1.4x when required).  I photograph under low-light conditions often and have learned the importance of a 2.8 lens.  A lens I have seldom used for the last 20+ years (no image stabilization) is seeing a revival ever since I got the R6 MK2 just over a year ago.  It now benefits from the R6 MK2 in-camera image stabilization.  It has been utilized to photograph red foxes handheld at ISO 204,000 and eastern screech owls just under that max ISO.  Red foxes seem to take to ISO 204,000 better than eastern screech owls.  It may have to do with the texture of the fur versus feather detail on the owl. 

ISO 64,000 at 1/10 second if I recall.  R6 MK2 handheld with 200 2.8L II.  

2 posts |