« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Markus Jais on Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:50 am
Markus Jais
Lifetime Member
Member #:01791
Hi,

after a few years of not photographing much for personal reasons, I am now finally back to my hobby with much more time available.
I have sold all my old Canon DSLR gear and switched to the Z8 with a few lenses (14-24, 24-120, 100-400, 105 Micro).
I've also ordered the 6.3/800 for birds, that lens being one of the main reasons I switched to Nikon. I did not want to spend 15K Euros on a 600 lens anymore (or even more for the Nikon 4/600 TC).

I have bought a SanDisk card with 256 GB for landscapes, macro and so on.
This week I should get the 800 and I want to start using that lens for birds in flight. I figure that, for hours of shooting, the
256 GB will fill up fast when shooting 20fps in RAW and that Sandisk modell is not the fastest card.

I wanted to ask you which cfexpress card you use for birds in flight with a Z8.

The camera shop in Munich recommended this one with 1TB.
LEXAR PROFESSIONAL CFEXPRESS TYP B GOLD 1 TB.
It is quite a bit cheaper than other cards with currently less than 400 Euros. The card says: 1900Mbit/s.

There are tons of speed reviews but I wanted to get some real feedback from someone who uses the Z8 to shoot birds in flight.

2nd questions:
Do you shoot RAW with lossless compression or with compression (High*, High)?
So far I've only shot RAW for all images but no serious action yet.

Thanks

Markus

by Axel Hildebrandt on Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:50 pm
Axel Hildebrandt
Member #:00941
I don't use Nikon but with my Canon R5 I use Sony Tough and Sandisk CF type B cards that have a fast write speed around 1500MB/s. I would think you can't go wrong with Lexar, either. Canon calls compressed RAW cRAW and that works fine. Maybe someone who uses Nikon can chime in.
Axel Hildebrandt

by Markus Jais on Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:58 pm
Markus Jais
Lifetime Member
Axel Hildebrandt wrote: I don't use Nikon but with my Canon R5 I use Sony Tough and Sandisk CF type B cards that have a fast write speed around 1500MB/s. I would think you can't go wrong with Lexar, either. Canon calls compressed RAW cRAW and that works fine. Maybe someone who uses Nikon can chime in.

Thanks. I will have a look at Sony cards and also again at Sandisk. I have a 256GB Sandisk card for landscapes and so far, it works great. It's not the fastest but I think they may have faster ones as well.
I also saw that there are cards from Nikon but they are very expensive and maybe only rebranded cards from someone else. Not sure if Nikon really makes cards on their own.

I also found this site (I bought his Z8 ebook yesterday) and there are some recommendations as well.
https://www.zsystemuser.com/accessories ... cards.html

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:03 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I use the Sandisk Cfexpress 512gb card on the z8. It is faster (write speed) than the lower capacity cards. I haven't hit the buffer yet. Keep in mind that with that large a card, you will spend a lot more time downloading and editing. Right now  the 512gb is selling for around $139, but I have found them for as little as $119. The price on Adorama and B and H changes constantly.

https://www.adorama.com/idssdcfe512g.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... press.html

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Markus Jais on Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:30 pm
Markus Jais
Lifetime Member
SantaFeJoe wrote: I use the Sandisk Cfexpress 512gb card on the z8. It is faster (write speed) than the lower capacity cards. I haven't hit the buffer yet. Keep in mind that with that large a card, you will spend a lot more time downloading and editing. Right now  the 512gb is selling for around $139, but I have found them for as little as $119. The price on Adorama and B and H changes constantly.

https://www.adorama.com/idssdcfe512g.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... press.html

Joe

thanks Joe, I think my camera store in Munich has them.

by david fletcher on Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:46 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Just to chip in, I shoot High efficiency*.  A 512gb card will hold about 13,000 images in that setting.  A 256gb about 6,600 which is double normal files.  I've seen no evidence of loss of IQ and have been using that for nearly two years.

You'll like the 100-400 and the 800.

Re the cards.  I use OWC 4.0 which seem fine.  I've a couple of older Lexar XQD's which haven't been any bother so am not throwing them away either.  

The advice above is perfectly good so you'll be fine.  Go enjoy!
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Karl Egressy on Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:01 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Lexar and Sundisk brands are the best. Prograde is the slowest when downloading, try to avoid that brand.

7 posts |