« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by DMcPeek on Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:49 pm
DMcPeek
Forum Contributor
Hi All,

I own a Nikon Z6 II with the 24-200mm f/4-6.3 kit lens.

I can only afford to purchase Nikon Z8 or the Nikon Z 24-70mm f/2.8 lens. I primarily do travel and street photography with some landscape photography.

I'd like to know what you feel is the better choice and why.

Thank you,

~ Doug

by Kim on Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:45 pm
Kim
Forum Contributor
Hello Doug.

I have a z611 and the Z8 plus the 24-70 2.8 f lens.

From my experience I would buy the 24-70 f 2.8. I use my Z6 11 with the 24-70 with converter lens all the time for travel, street, portrait and landscapes. The new 24-70 Z 2.8 rates even better and when you eventually get the Z8 it will be excellent. For the type of work you are doing I think the glass is more important than the camera, the glass will last for years and deliver great quality images to boot. The cameras come and go as your desires and money wax and wane.

The Z8 is next level, I use it for wildlife. It works great for landscapes if I need it but I find the Z6 is plenty. If I want more pixels for landscapes I do a 2 or 3 shot pano to get there.

From my experience it is the perfect travel combo and for me the Z8 covers all my wildlife needs. A 2 kit travel comb.

The Z611 with the 24-70 lens is heavy especially when I use the flash for portraits but I am still doing it despite being 76 and female so others should be able to handle it. 

by david fletcher on Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:19 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
The main drive for me Doug would be based on what I need most for my photography. Aka, what would have most impact.

In this regard, although only you can answer that, I am inclined to agree with Kim, who makes a great deal of sense.

My only other suggestion being to consider the 24-70 F4 Z as well. This lens is quite underrated and is biting sharp. I use it and preferred it re IQ and colour rendition, over my 25 2.8 Zeiss which I sold. Thinking of your travelling, its weight is a godsend, and from an IQ point of view, you will not be disappointed as it needs pixel peeping to see the difference re the 2.8 version.
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:31 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
The lens quality is what makes for the highest quality image, with the camera being less important. That being said, the z8 is a spectacular camera that has upped my keeper rate dramatically, even over the D850, for wildlife. For landscapes, if you are happy with your camera's capabilities, the lens is a better investment. As David stated, the f4 version is a good option. I was able to find one used for $425 even before I bought a z series camera. If you could find one for that price, the combo of a z8 and lens would be (and was) my choice.
Right now, the z8 is on sale and the combo with an f4 version of the lens is only $600 more than the regular price of the z8:

https://www.adorama.com/l/?searchinfo=Nikon%20z8

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Karl Egressy on Thu May 09, 2024 2:18 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Z8 is a good camera for any purpose. The weak point of it is the battery. You can shoot about 800 frames or use it for a few hours.
The battery of Z9 lasts much longer on one charge, maybe up to 4000 shots.

by SantaFeJoe on Fri May 10, 2024 8:46 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Karl Egressy wrote: Z8 is a good camera for any purpose. The weak point of it is the battery. You can shoot about 800 frames or use it for a few hours.
The battery of Z9 lasts much longer on one charge, maybe up to 4000 shots.
It's funny how digital has changed our way of thinking! 800 shots in the film days was about 22 rolls of 36 exposure film!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Kim on Fri May 10, 2024 7:40 pm
Kim
Forum Contributor
I went to an air show recently with the Z8 and the 180-600 lens combo and took one spare battery. I shot ten thousand images and had to change to my second battery at 6000 images and came home with about 45% left in the battery.

I was shocked, both with how many shots I took and how long the battery lasted. I was shooting at the highest frame rate in aeroplane mode. I was using a cfxpress b card at 1/2 terabyte, took forever to download so wont be doing that again. Did come home with some keepers despite I had to learn how to track the aircraft and handhold at 76 and female.

I get much less shot when shooting birds as Karl says, only thing I can think of is burst/fast shutter rate being electronic keeps on keeping on with less power requirements than the stop start style of my bird photography. I keep it on 5 frames per sec for birds.

by Karl Egressy on Sat May 11, 2024 5:29 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Ten thousand images, amazing number. There might be some setting problem of my Z8 as it is giving a buzzing noise, as if it would focus or do something all the time when it is switched on. Time to get some info, by watching some videos and correct the setting.

by SantaFeJoe on Sat May 11, 2024 3:53 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Kim wrote: I went to an air show recently with the Z8 and the 180-600 lens combo and took one spare battery. I shot ten thousand images and had to change to my second battery at 6000 images and came home with about 45% left in the battery.
Hi Kim
Were you shooting RAW or jpeg? I'm not at all disappointed with the battery life when shooting birds. I also love the 180-600 and the flexibility it offers. IQ is very high, in my experience, with the z8.

Joe

by Kim on Sat May 11, 2024 8:31 pm
Kim
Forum Contributor
hello Joe.

I was shooting RAW nefs. I am not disappointed in the battery life. When I got the camera I got two extra batteries and they take a while to get up to full capacity to give you a good result in my experience. I have the Z 611 as well so I had three batteries for that and they are the same so I plenty of choice for them.

I am happy with my 180-600 for birds and wildlife. I do get a fair few shots through my dinning room window, glass and all and it is great most times. When I do get out I am getting some great results. Our new caravan arrives next week and we can go away off grid as the van is fully electric and self powered so I will have every opportunity to try it out in the outback of Australia.

I did get a nice shot of a willy wagtail yesterday and I will post it tomorrow.

Karl maybe try a factory reset and start again.

10 posts |