« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:47 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I am thinking about selling my Canon 500 f4 II lens.  Any suggestions for sites to sell used lenses in Canada and preferably in Ontario.  One of my criteria for a sale is it is final.  Reason being once it's out of my hands, I can no longer vouch for what happens to the lens.  How does online sales of lenses work in general?  

by Karl Egressy on Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:44 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
I sold all of my equipment on Kijiji, including Canon 500 mm F4.0 L Mark II lens. Sometimes it takes a long time other times goes fast.
Check the prices if any and go slightly under.

by OntPhoto on Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:34 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Karl Egressy wrote: I sold all of my equipment on Kijiji, including Canon 500 mm F4.0 L Mark II lens. Sometimes it takes a long time other times goes fast.
Check the prices if any and go slightly under.
Thanks Karl.  I will check Kijiji out.  

by Pete Zwiers on Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:20 pm
Pete Zwiers
Lifetime Member
Member #:00411
I'm from northern BC, so doing things in-person is pretty much impossible ... but with you being from Ottawa I would think you could make an in-person sale work if you're willing to be patient.

I make fairly regular trips to the USA to visit my in-laws in MN, so what I did when selling off my Canon gear this past year was to post things on FM Miranda's 'buy & sell' forum about a week in advance of our trips. Selling on that site is pretty fast when you list a competitive price. I then ship the item from within the USA (when we got there) via UPS ... I could only take PayPal payments though. I ate the cost of both the UPS shipment and PayPal fees - which add up.

I'm sure you could find a Canadian buyer fairly close to Ottawa on the FM site if you're willing to be patient, and then you could do an in-person sale where you can take cash or an online Interac transfer payment ... avoiding the extras I had to pay for a USA sale.

FM Miranda seems to be the place for any online secondhand camera selling/purchasing ... lot's of traffic.

by OntPhoto on Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:51 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Pete Zwiers wrote: I'm from northern BC, so doing things in-person is pretty much impossible ... but with you being from Ottawa I would think you could make an in-person sale work if you're willing to be patient.

I make fairly regular trips to the USA to visit my in-laws in MN, so what I did when selling off my Canon gear this past year was to post things on FM Miranda's 'buy & sell' forum about a week in advance of our trips. Selling on that site is pretty fast when you list a competitive price. I then ship the item from within the USA (when we got there) via UPS ... I could only take PayPal payments though. I ate the cost of both the UPS shipment and PayPal fees - which add up.

I'm sure you could find a Canadian buyer fairly close to Ottawa on the FM site if you're willing to be patient, and then you could do an in-person sale where you can take cash or an online Interac transfer payment ... avoiding the extras I had to pay for a USA sale.

FM Miranda seems to be the place for any online secondhand camera selling/purchasing ... lot's of traffic.
Pete, thanks for sharing that very helpful and great info, suggestion.  Greatly appreciated.   You're right, there is  a large enough market in Ottawa and surrounding area and I'm within driving distance of many places photographers visit, Algonquin Park, Amherst Island, Montreal and nearby areas.   

I am wondering what is a competitive price for a Canon 500 f4 II?   I will start searching FM Buy+Sell soon and Kijiji.  

I almost sold my older Canon 100-400L IS lens about 7-8 years ago to someone local.  Then I had second thoughts and kind of glad I did because I am putting the 100-400L to great use with the R6 MK2.  This camera changed the way the lens works :-)   More consistent AF, AF-Servo and I use it a lot due to its light weight.  I love the lighter weight which is why I hardly use the 500 f4 II.

by Pete Zwiers on Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:19 pm
Pete Zwiers
Lifetime Member
Member #:00411
For pricing, I looked up the last few sales of the same lens on FM. I was a fairly motivated buyer, so I went with that price ... and covered the PayPal & freight charges to make it a pretty sweet deal for someone. That moved the EF 800mm and EF 100-400 II really fast. 

Being from the sticks of BC, I donated my two 1DXs to the Salvation Army thrift store instead of trying to sell them for a couple hundred bucks each online, and having to deal with PayPal / shipping costs.

I switched to the Nikon Z 9 and Z 800mm for the weight savings / balance over my Canon 1DX + EF800mm.  I haven't touched my tripod or monopod since. It's a total game changer to be able to handhold a 800mm lens comfortably, especially from the kayak! Good times for wildlife photography! 

6 posts |