Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Kerry on Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:58 pm
Kerry
Forum Contributor
My Tamrac photo backpack of 23 years is worn to the point where I'm finally going to have to replace it, so I'm soliciting suggestions.  I haven't looked for a new pack in a very long time, so I'm out of it in terms of the breadth of current options. 

I routinely carry two camera bodies (Nikon Z7ii), three Z-mount lenses (14-30/4, 24-120/4, 100-400/4.5-5.6) a set of basic accessories (release, a handful of filters, a couple of extra batteries, some cleaning materials, etc.) and, depending on the length of the hike (I only do day hikes with this bag, but I've gone up to 15 miles round trip more than once) and the weather, water, food, modest clothing change, a compact umbrella, headlamp, flashlight, the odd repair tool and probably a few other things I can't think of.  (Occasionally I will carry a macro lens or my Sigma 24-35/2 F-mount lens with an FTZ adapter, but that's very rarely the case.)  Also, some kind of workable tripod carrying system is a must.  I usually carry my tripod (a fairly lightweight Gitzo four-leg section model) by hand, but on particularly long and/or difficult hikes, I'll strap the tripod to the pack.

If anyone has a suggestion for a starting point for a search, I'd be most grateful.

by DChan on Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:56 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
See if this helps:

In search of the perfect backpack

Thread started on Oct 5, 2021 with the last response on April 12, 2022.

by ChrisRoss on Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:50 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
Hard to go past thinktank bags, very well built. The waist straps are a little thin but on mine you could exchange it for a padded waist belt easily. Min streetwalker hard drive model is near 15 years old and still looks like new almost and has had a lot of use.

These days I use a belt system a lot more often, particularly in warmer weather it's great not to have the pack against your back. They have the holster packs which will carry a body mounted on the 100-400 lens and it's accessible without removing the belt. My tripod is a RRS travel pod with BH-40 head. It goes upside down in a lens changer 75 pop down, with just the feet sticking out. Might be a stretch to carry food beyond some energy bars and clothing, but it does have a water bottle holder available. I also have the harness that is used with the belt which prevents it sliding down.

You would need the holster, the lens changer for the tripod, and two lens pouches and one of the modular bags for a second body and bits and pieces, a belt and the harness.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by Mark L on Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:16 am
Mark L
Forum Contributor
ThinkTank/Mindshift bags and systems are great.  I use a Mindshift Backlight 26 pack (I like the rear opening).  My suggestion would be for you to check out the 18 and 26 Backlight packs.

by photoman4343 on Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:04 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I would also suggest the new versions of the GuraGear Kiboko photo backpack in addition to bags from ThinkTank. Go here to see them:

https://guragear.com/pages/camera-backpacks

The 16L might be too small. The 22L looks like it is sized for your needs.

Or here:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/products ... Agura-gear

The older versions (no V2) did not have a place for a laptop. If you have no need for a laptop sleeve, buying a used Gura Gear backpack miht save you some $$$. The ones I have are the older version.
Joe Smith

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:55 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Don't forget about the Naturescapes store:

https://store.naturescapes.net/photography-backpacks/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:12 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
My favorites are Mindshift Backlight packs. Being a back loader you can put the rian cover on and still have access to all your gear without removing the rain cover. They come in three sizes. I own all three and use whichever one is appropriate for the mission at hand.

by OntPhoto on Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:54 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:My favorites are Mindshift Backlight packs.  Being a back loader you can put the rian cover on and still have access to all your gear without removing the rain cover.  They come in three sizes.  I own all three and use whichever one is appropriate for the mission at hand.
You know I've got to try one now.  It has roomier pockets than the StreetWalker models.  Also, more retaining straps for things like tripods. I Googled and Youtubed the 18L version which is roughly the same size as the StreetWalker.  

No big enough pockets on the StreetWalker to put a rain jacket in let along jacket and pants.  I see the Mindshift Backlight pack does have a roomy pocket in the front.  It appears to be a more versatile backpack whereas the StreetWalker is a minimalist type pack. 

Only question for me is, how does the comfort level (shoulder straps) compare between the two models?  I know that comfort is an individual thing as many things can play a part including body build, shape you're in and what is being carried (some people like to pack everything and the kitchen sink and others go lighter).

by Kerry on Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:07 pm
Kerry
Forum Contributor
Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated.

9 posts |