Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Grumpybeard78 on Wed May 11, 2022 11:41 am
Grumpybeard78
Forum Contributor
Hello everyone.  I am taking up the hobby of photographing wildlife and the outdoors during my overlanding adventures.  I am new at this and I am having a hard time deciding on a camera.  My price range is $400.00 - $800.00.  Weather proof and distance zoom is a must.  I have been browsing many websites and it's a bit confusing/daunting.  So any recommendations and info would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

by Jeff Pearl on Sat May 14, 2022 12:08 pm
Jeff Pearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:02142
https://www.cameralabs.com/best-superzoom-camera/

Zoom and weather resistant in 4-800.00 range limits your choices, but for hobby photos, I'd just go with Panasonic zs80. You can improve the photos with topaz, etc. Compare zs80 with Nikon and Canon super zooms.
Grumpybeard78 wrote:Hello everyone.  I am taking up the hobby of photographing wildlife and the outdoors during my overlanding adventures.  I am new at this and I am having a hard time deciding on a camera.  My price range is $400.00 - $800.00.  Weather proof and distance zoom is a must.  I have been browsing many websites and it's a bit confusing/daunting.  So any recommendations and info would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

by pablo on Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:46 am
pablo
Forum Contributor
I've been thinking about your  question of what gear to begin photographing wildlife, noting that initial camera/lens investment is modest.  That's a great question.  You will find that knowing how to set the right aperture, shutter and ISO sensor speed is vital.  Manual controls are the surest way to achieve the optimal  depth of field, subject crispness and background detail (or lack of detail).  You want to be able to do it quickly and surely.  There are a lot of used beginner camera/lens sets to find in the used market. Begin simple.  It's less about the gear and more about your skill set.   When you get  camera controls down pat, you can begin to function smoothly in the field.  Note that a bird doesn't wait for you to make test images and sometimes the subject is quickly losing ideal light.

Those incredible images you may want to emulate represent a lot more learning than is apparent. You need to study your subjects beginning with the where and when plus the ethics of not stressing the living fauna or damaging the flora.  For birds (and may other subjects), a good pair of binoculars and some field guides like the Sibley Guide to  Birds and Guide to North America Birds by Kenn Kaufman are equally important.  Similar resources exist for wildflowers, amphibians etc.  I am saying that you need to balance the camera skills with your natural world knowledge.

Often, I find time exploring new locations with only the simplest camera allows me to be a better observer.  Camera gear can get heavy and scouting an area calls for less weight.   In addition, I recommend beginning a journal of dates, places and subjects found.  I have tables of wildflower bloom dates, warbler arrival times and maps to special places.  I know when to look for Bobolinks to arrive and where their favored grasslands are. The best places are often off the beaten path, and the names of land owners to ask for access are important.  Sometimes, there are local photo groups with members having similar interests.  Shared field outings with them is a way to learn quickly.  My entry into bird photography began with a field course at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.  Is something like that offered near you?

In the end, if you reach a point where your images are appreciated, it will be less about gear and more about creative vision plus understanding things like recognizing the types of light and how it plays on your subject.  I wish you success.

Paul S.

by Charlie Woodrich on Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:31 pm
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
If you want to double your budget, this covers many needs.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... amera.html

4 posts |