Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 20 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Sat May 07, 2022 9:35 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Delkin Devices has introduced a CFexpress card that they claim writes faster than a z9’s buffer can fill up. They claim it can shoot 6621 shots on a 325 gb card and never fill the buffer. It will continuously shoot until the card fills up.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/whats-faster-than-a-nikon-z9-delkins-latest-cfexpress-cards-of-course

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by ivan rothman on Sat May 07, 2022 11:42 pm
ivan rothman
Forum Contributor
I've been excited about claims made for this new Delkin Black card. I've ordered one 150GB card and should have it by Tuesday and will test it with the Z9 to see if the buffer is truly unlimited when shooting RAW Lossless Compressed.
But today, at least one other photographer reported on another forum site that he had the new card and didn't find it to be as fast as claimed on the Z9.
I'll find out for myself when I receive the card.

by Baywing on Sun May 08, 2022 3:49 pm
Baywing
Forum Contributor
Unless I'm missing something, looking at the rated speeds for the Delkin Black 128GB card and comparing to the "new" 150GB card, it looks to me like the older 128GB card is a tad faster. Now, I realize that the speed rating as shown is burst, so the new cards could have higher sustained rates. I have one of the new 150's just haven't been able to try it out yet.
Photos at: http://www.pbase.com/baywing

by jwild on Mon May 09, 2022 2:19 am
jwild
Forum Contributor
I just checked the Delkin Devices Black 650 GB card has a read speed of 1725 mb/sec. and write speed of 1530 mb/sec. Delkin Devices 325 GB card has the same speeds.
I've been using Sandisk 500 GB CF Express card, which has a read speed of 1700 mb/sec. and write speed of 1400 mb/sec, on Canon R 5. Never had any speed or buffer issues, in fact I've forgotten, what buffer is. :D    

Last edited by jwild on Mon May 09, 2022 9:51 am, edited 4 times in total.

by Scott Fairbairn on Mon May 09, 2022 6:14 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Is that for all cards? I read somewhere that the unlimited buffer was only for the 325 gb card? It figures they come out with this three weeks after I bought two Delkin black 325gb cards!

by SantaFeJoe on Mon May 09, 2022 10:43 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:Is that for all cards? I read somewhere that the unlimited buffer was only for the 325 gb card? It figures they come out with this three weeks after I bought two Delkin black 325gb cards!

Here’s a link to their speed and compatibility charts:

https://www.delkindevices.com/cfexpress-type-b/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by ivan rothman on Mon May 09, 2022 12:39 pm
ivan rothman
Forum Contributor
What is important is not the maximum speed usually listed with these cards, it is the Minimum Sustained Write Speed, which is often a lot lower.  With the new Delkin Black cards, Delkin claims the the Minimum Sustained Write Speed is 1530 MB/s (except for the 75GB card which is slower) and this number is quite good.  To me the true test is with the card in the camera.  I hope to have my new card tomorrow and I'll see just how good the buffer is when I shoot at 20fps RAW with lossless compression.  I'll compare it to the older Delkin Black card that I have.

by ivan rothman on Tue May 10, 2022 4:56 pm
ivan rothman
Forum Contributor
I received the new Delkin Black CFexpress card 150GB today.
I tested it and 2 other cards on my Z9 to see how quickly the buffer filled.
Shooting RAW, lossless compressed at 20 fps. Counted how many shots taken before the shooting speed started to fall off.

SONY TOUGH 128GB card 67 shots
DELKIN BLACK 128GB card 83 shots
DELKIN BLACK 150 GB card 84 shots

So from this brief test I can see no increase in buffer capacity using the new Delkin card. Disappointing.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed May 11, 2022 12:46 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
ivan rothman wrote:I received the new Delkin Black CFexpress card 150GB  today.  
Shooting RAW, lossless compressed at 20 fps.    Counted how many shots taken before the shooting speed started to fall off.

SONY TOUGH 128GB card             67 shots
DELKIN BLACK 128GB card           83 shots
DELKIN BLACK 150 GB card          84 shots

So from this brief test I can see no increase in buffer capacity using the new Delkin card.   Disappointing.
In that case it is possible that the rate limiter is the camera's offload capability from buffer to card and not the card itself.  Make sure that the fast card is the only card in the camera.  If there are other cards in the camera, it will slow down to the speed of the slowest card.

by ivan rothman on Thu May 12, 2022 7:51 am
ivan rothman
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
ivan rothman wrote:I received the new Delkin Black CFexpress card 150GB  today.  
Shooting RAW, lossless compressed at 20 fps.    Counted how many shots taken before the shooting speed started to fall off.

SONY TOUGH 128GB card             67 shots
DELKIN BLACK 128GB card           83 shots
DELKIN BLACK 150 GB card          84 shots

So from this brief test I can see no increase in buffer capacity using the new Delkin card.   Disappointing.
In that case it is possible that the rate limiter is the camera's offload capability from buffer to card and not the card itself.  Make sure that the fast card is the only card in the camera.  If there are other cards in the camera, it will slow down to the speed of the slowest card.
I did this test with only one card in the camera.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu May 12, 2022 1:18 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Ivan, do you have the latest firmware version installed in the z9? There are some more notes on this page:

https://www.delkindevices.com/product-help/

Joe

by ricardo00 on Thu May 12, 2022 4:40 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
I had the "old" Delkin black 512 GB CF express card ($699 from B&H) which would write about 80 raw with lossless compression (yes updated firmware and once card in slot 1) at 20 fps and then slow to 16 fps and keep going (no didn't try filling the card), which actually is fine for my use. When Delkin announced their new higher speed 512GB card for $499 I decided to get one since I only had the one CFexpress card. It seems to show the same pattern, shooting about 80 raw at 20 fps. But when I looked at its capacity, it shows 650 GB. So not sure why (it says only 512 GB on the card and has the red for the new card). So I am pretty happy. Anyone else buy one of these cards and if so, what is its capacity?

by SantaFeJoe on Thu May 12, 2022 4:49 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
That’s strange that it would have that high of a capacity. Regarding the buffer, I’ve only read that the buffer would not fill, not that it would maintain the 20fps. 16 fps is still plenty fast for most people, even for very fast action. Ivan only mentioned that speed began to fall off, but that doesn’t mean that the buffer filled up. I’m curious about when the buffer actually stops you from shooting, if at all. Delkin indicates that the camera never stops shooting due to the buffer being filled.

Joe

by ricardo00 on Thu May 12, 2022 4:58 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:That’s strange that it would have that high of a capacity. Regarding the buffer, I’ve only read that the buffer would not fill, not that it would maintain the 20fps. 16 fps is still plenty fast for most people, even for very fast action. Ivan only mentioned that speed began to fall off, but that doesn’t mean that the buffer filled up. I’m curious about when the buffer actually stops you from shooting, if at all. Delkin indicates that the camera never stops shooting due to the buffer being filled.

Joe

Yep, I don't feel that there is a problem with it dropping to 16fps, rarely go above 80 shots anyway, and if I did, 16fps would be fine.  It seems to keep going at 16 fps though by no means tried to fill the card.  Not sure if the card I got was mistaken labeled?  Or one of the 650 GB cards that they decided to send out to fill demand?  But both the camera and my computer sees this larger size.

by ivan rothman on Fri May 13, 2022 10:03 am
ivan rothman
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Ivan, do you have the latest firmware version installed in the z9? There are some more notes on this page:

Joe

I am using the latest firmware for Z9, version 2.0
It seems that Delkin makes such clear claims that with the new card the buffer just won't fill.  But I and others have found that to be untrue.   I can see no difference between the older Delkin Black 128GB card and the newer 150GB card.   

by ricardo00 on Fri May 13, 2022 1:19 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
ivan rothman wrote:
SantaFeJoe wrote:Ivan, do you have the latest firmware version installed in the z9? There are some more notes on this page:

Joe

It seems that Delkin makes such clear claims that with the new card the buffer just won't fill.  But I and others have found that to be untrue.   I can see no difference between the older Delkin Black 128GB card and the newer 150GB card.   

But the shooting speed just slows to 16fps, not stops, right?  The wording I have seen with Delkin is vague about this.  But agree, not faster.  But cheaper. 

by ivan rothman on Sat May 14, 2022 8:29 am
ivan rothman
Forum Contributor
ricardo00 wrote:
ivan rothman wrote:

Joe

But the shooting speed just slows to 16fps, not stops, right?  The wording I have seen with Delkin is vague about this.  But agree, not faster.  But cheaper. 
The shooting slows, I'm not sure to exactly what, but still keeps shooting although the repeated "stutter" is annoying.   I could of course just shoot at 15fps instead of 20fps and buffer would be much larger.   
With either the new or the old Black Delkin, I am perfectly satisfied with ability to capture and my type of shooting is not really affected much.  But my point was that there seems to be no reason to switch/buy the newer card because of desire for better buffer/speed. 
It is true that they at least they brought out the larger size 150MB card $50 cheaper that the older 128GB card.  

by SantaFeJoe on Sat May 14, 2022 9:03 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
There’s a lot of discussion on the subject here. A couple of things of note was that certain settings on the camera could affect the buffer, like high ISO NR. Also, the 128 GB card was faster in burst speed, but not necessarily in sustained minimum write speed. For most photographers, the discussion is probably all for nothing since it won’t affect their style of shooting that much. 15fps is plenty, unless you like to do a lot of editing and have plenty of space for storage to download large files to.

Joe

by SantaFeJoe on Mon May 16, 2022 10:35 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
A comparison of real world read and write speeds and the practical applications of such:

CFexpress Card Speeds Compared

Joe

by E.J. Peiker on Tue May 17, 2022 11:59 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
SantaFeJoe wrote:A comparison of real world read and write speeds and the practical applications of such:

CFexpress Card Speeds Compared

Joe
Good article!!!

20 posts |