All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by natureshooter606 on Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:50 am
natureshooter606
Forum Contributor
Hi All,

I have a question that I'm hoping you can help me with. I currently have been using an R5 with an original older canon 600mm F/4 version 1 with the older v1 teleconverters (1.4x and 2x). I'm curious to know... would I significantly benefit either in image quality or AF performance by upgrading to the tc version III extenders?  And what about the RF extenders... I'm assuming they wouldn't work with the adapter?

Thanks so much for your insight. Cheers!

by imagenes_vivas on Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:11 pm
imagenes_vivas
Forum Contributor
Over the years I had the versions I, the II and the III of the teleconverters for my EF 500 f4 . The EF 2x-III teleconverter is muuuch better than the version I. The 1.4x also, but not so different. I don't own any RF teleconverter.

by natureshooter606 on Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:35 pm
natureshooter606
Forum Contributor
imagenes_vivas wrote:Over the years I had the versions I, the II and the III of the teleconverters for my EF 500 f4 . The EF 2x-III teleconverter is muuuch better than the  version I. The 1.4x also, but not so different. I don't own any RF teleconverter.
Very helpful.  Thank you!!!

by Robert Royse on Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:39 pm
Robert Royse
Forum Contributor
I'll second what has already been said. I used that 600mm lens extensively in the 00's and still like to make prints of the photos I took with it. The last couple of years I owned the lens I had the version III 2x, and yes there is a big improvement, especially with chromatic aberrations. It would definitely be worthwhile to pick up the version III of the 2x. With the 1.4x it is hard to tell any difference between the version II and III.
Bob Royse
http://www.roysephotos.com

by bryantjl on Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:48 pm
bryantjl
Forum Contributor
The RF 1.4x extender won’t fit into the EF/RF adapter. I found the version III EF extenders are far superior to the earlier versions in IQ.

by OntPhoto on Sun May 01, 2022 4:18 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
imagenes_vivas wrote:Over the years I had the versions I, the II and the III of the teleconverters for my EF 500 f4 . The EF 2x-III teleconverter is muuuch better than the  version I. The 1.4x also, but not so different. I don't own any RF teleconverter.
This has been my experience as well.  I have both version II and III of the Canon 1.4 and 2x. I see a difference particularly with the 2x III over the 2x II.  I had to use the 2x III with the 500 f4 II to get enough reach for a bald eagle nest.  The 2x III AF much better and also in Ai-Servo.  Using the 7D MK2.

Photo taken with 2x III and Canon 500 f4 II and 7D MK2 on tripod.

6 posts |