« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by Mark Robinson on Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:16 am
Mark Robinson
Forum Contributor
I have a Nikon 600mm F4 AF-S 1 that I bought new approx. 22 years ago. It is like new though used frequently and seems to be less sharp lately. I have done autofocus fine tune to no avail. It is mostly used with a 1.4 teleconverter on a D500.

Will the lens benefit from being professionally calibrated/cleaned, etc.? Nikon no longer services the lens. Any recommendations for qualified Nikon service?

Many thanks.
Mark Robinson
http://www.critterlight.com

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:30 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It is doubtful that you will find any shop that can perform any kind of repair on this lens due to not having parts for it but they should be able to do a disassembly and clean and make sure that all lens elements are seated properly. However, if it is making any squeeking noises or light scraping noises, the lens might need some service and relubricating. I believe KEH in Atlanta would do this and I am sure there are some others.

You said that you use this lens primarily with a teleconverter, are you sure that it isn't the teleconverter? Also, make sure all lens mount screws on the lens, camera and TC are tight. If one of those has backed out a bit, that can lead to sudden loss of sharpness. Also look carefully at the TC, a thumbrit on the elements of those will do exactly what you describe.

by Mark Robinson on Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:17 pm
Mark Robinson
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:It is doubtful that you will find any shop that can perform any kind of repair on this lens due to not having parts for it but they should be able to do a disassembly and clean and make sure that all lens elements are seated properly.  However, if it is making any squeeking noises or light scraping noises, the lens might need some service and relubricating.  I believe KEH in Atlanta would do this and I am sure there are some others.

You said that you use this lens primarily with a teleconverter, are you sure that it isn't the teleconverter?  Also, make sure all lens mount screws on the lens, camera and TC are tight.  If one of those has backed out a bit, that can lead to sudden loss of sharpness.  Also look carefully at the TC, a thumbrit on the elements of those will do exactly what you describe.
Thank you for this information E.J.
Mark Robinson
http://www.critterlight.com

3 posts |