All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Brian Stirling on Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:16 am
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
I think I have a good handle for stills but the various picture profiles for video Sony has for the A7 IV are a bit daunting just now.  I would normally pick a flatter profile, some form of log profile, but every camera maker bakes there own cakes here so I'm starting from scratch.  Can anyone provide some pointers with good information on the Sony picture profile systems?

Digging into the menus the picture profiles, some 11 of them, include a couple based on a version of S-Log, but there are a bunch of parameters within the picture profile you can adjust and at this point I'd be throwing darts blindfolded.  An additional question is the appropriate ISO setting when using S-Log -- apparently the lowest ISO isn't always the best choice.

For what its worth I've set the video to XAVC S 4K at 30fps and 140Mbps and 4-2-2- 10-bit.

For stills I've selected lossless compressed RAW+jpg and generally A-mode with a manually set WB -- not going to list the focus and metering as there's way too much and beyond the intent of this post.

Brian

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:44 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Nobody knows more about Sony cameras than Mark Galer. Here's his YouTube channel - you will find videos on video/monie settings - it shouldn't matter much if it is for a different current model of Sony a7/a1/a9 camera...
https://www.youtube.com/c/AlphaCreativeSkills/videos

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:51 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
E.J. Peiker wrote:Nobody knows more about Sony cameras than Mark Galer.  Here's his YouTube channel - you will find videos on video/monie settings - it shouldn't matter much if it is for a different current model of Sony a7/a1/a9 camera...
https://www.youtube.com/c/AlphaCreativeSkills/videos

Do you have any suggestions for a good educational resource for learning the in's and out's of videography? I know a few basic things like shutter speeds, ND filters, higher data rates/better quality, but really not much beyond that, and zero about profiles and such.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:09 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I don't since I don't really do video but there is tons of online info. I'm sure you can find great sources.

by Jeff Pearl on Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:26 pm
Jeff Pearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:02142
You might find some helpful tips for camera settings on primal video.

https://primalvideo.com/video-creation/shooting/best-camera-dslr-video-settings/

by Brian Stirling on Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:10 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
Thanks for the replies guys...

Scott, as mentioned there are a good many sources of information on video techniques but I would also add that there are a lot of posers that think all you need to do is utter the word "cinematic" and you're good to go -- I guess there are similar types in the stills world but probably not so many. One other thing I'd point out that might not be obvious is that audio is really the hard part in shooting good video outside -- I mean audio is like 5X as hard to get right.

Brian

6 posts |