All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by laura hughes on Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:10 pm
laura hughes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00626
Not sure where this topic belongs. I need a bird song app for western US with a repeat feature for an Android phone

Something easy, I'm spoiled by Birdjam which served me well for 10 years. 

Many thanks
Laura

by Ed1946 on Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:30 pm
Ed1946
Forum Contributor
I had used Birdjam before but have since changed to IBIRD Pro.  Not that expensive, has several songs/calls and use it to identify birds.

by hullyjr on Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:30 pm
hullyjr
Forum Contributor
I've used a variety of bird call/song apps but only an iPhone. The best for Android is Sibley eGuide to the Birds of North America and Sunbird's Songs USA. Both have a repeat function. The songs are almost identical between the two so depends if illustrations are important to you (then Sibley is a no brainer). My biggest criticism is the lack of a recall/most recent function, so you have to scroll through every time.
The most useful is from eBirds called Merlin Bird ID. Has so many of the regional dialects, calls, chip notes plus they are generally longer & of better quality. It does not have a repeat function.
Jim Hully
Grayslake, IL
Images now at https://www.flickr.com/photos/138068378@N06/

by PopeShawnPaul on Thu May 19, 2022 11:31 am
PopeShawnPaul
Forum Contributor
Ibird pro and Audubon. For some species where I need a specific call like a female grouse clucking or when out of North America, I'll download them at xeno-canto.
www.shawnmccully.com

by OntPhoto on Fri May 20, 2022 10:09 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I mostly use Sibley on my iPhone. I also have the older BirdJam but seldom use it because I must have uploaded it incorrectly as a playlist because it's all broken up by bJam-E-All-alpha A-F bJam-E-All-alpha-G-O, etc.

I have the Cornell Labs Merlin Bird ID but did not know it can also play songs. Will have to look into this.

by rb_stern on Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:18 pm
rb_stern
Forum Contributor
You can download Merlin on an Android phone for free. There are 2 ways of using it. Under Explore Birds you can play a variety of vocalisations for most N. American species. Under Sound ID you can record what your phone picks up in the field (and it seems very sensitive), then by clicking the down arrow you can play a variety of calls and songs of that species. The recordings are longer and louder than those on the Sibley app (I have both), but they don't automatically repeat. However you can repeat them manually. Merlin is not alway accurate, and it does say in the intro. that it should be used as a guide (e.g. it sometimes calls a bird that is not found in the area in question, and there are some species it seems to frequently get wrong - e.g. Red-eyed vs. Philadelphia vireo), but despite this it's overall an excellent app. If you use eBird you can upload the .wav files it produces, as media in your checklists.
Richard Stern
Nova Scotia, Canada
richard-s.smugmug.com

6 posts |