All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Ed Cordes on Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:05 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
I have a B&W CPL 77mm that is frozen.  It will not rotate. I can't for the life of me remember anything happening to it.  It has been stored in a hutch in a spare bedroom, so conditions are OK.  I have tried to free it up by using two thin rubber jar openers to no avail. Any suggestions before I just bite the bullet and buy another?  TYIA
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:03 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I would try using a filter wrench set like this. Your local camera shop might have one they can let you try. It is difficult to remove the glass from the frame on a B&W, but if you could, then you could lubricate it.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N ... av-Search=

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Ed Cordes on Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:08 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the reply Joe. I'll stop at the store when the snow lets up.

by hullyjr on Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:38 pm
hullyjr
Forum Contributor
I wonder if the lubricant has deteriorated.
See this discussion on FM:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/969964
So maybe a drop of 10w40 synthetic motor oil?
Jim Hully
Grayslake, IL
Images now at https://www.flickr.com/photos/138068378@N06/

by signgrap on Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:28 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
hullyjr wrote:I wonder if the lubricant has deteriorated.
See this discussion on FM:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/969964
So maybe a drop of 10w40 synthetic motor oil?
Engine oil is designed to lubricate and clean internal combustion engine parts, wonder what it does to the surfaces of a camera filter?  
Dick Ludwig

by Ed Okie on Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:58 pm
Ed Okie
Forum Contributor
Despite the name, despite the price, B&W filters have had thread-lockup issues for years. Tech support was not helpful, dismissive of the problem. Lubrication of various types I tried didn't work.

Years ago I gave up and switched to the Breakthrough.Photography brand... thread-locking issues immediately solved. Plus the glass itself, transmissibility is superior, likewise the color rendering of the polarized light. They even come with a 25 year guarantee.

As Joe suggested for possibly unlocking the BW filters (if you insist... but it's going to repeat itself), a lens-ring clamp is the only viable solution. Cheap plastic devices that apply reasonably uniform squeeze-pressure around the entire rim of the filter. "Rubber bands" seem like a good idea for gripping, but have one major flaw: finger pressure-points result, which distorts the ring itself, thread-lock worsens. Sometimes a silicon (kitchen) hotpad will work; the face of the filter pushed against the sticky silicone pad that is laying on a flat surface, multiple fingers spaced around the back ring twisting counter-clockwise.

But if you can afford the switch to the Breakthrough brand you'll never look back.

by Ed Cordes on Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:03 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Hi All, I have come to the conclusion that it isn't worth the effort or aggravation to try a fix. I have a few other breakthrough filters and like them a lot. that is what I will do - buy a new filter and learn from the experience. Thanks to all for the input.

7 posts |