All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Ozark Bill on Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:28 pm
Ozark Bill
Forum Contributor
[font="Open Sans", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Hi everyone,[/font]
[font="Open Sans", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I am hoping to find a leveling option to use with a gimbal head and my Gitzo systematic tripod. I want to use this with a pro body and 500mm f/4 lens. I've looked into the Gitzo option and, if what I understand is correct, to purchase the bowl and the leveling base would likely be a little over $500!!![/font]
[font="Open Sans", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I'd like this functionality, but that is absurd. So, now I am trying to research 3rd party options that can be used for this. Is there a 3rd party option that I can use with my tripod? If so, would it be up to the task with this rig without slipping or failing? I am also wondering about the leveling bases from Acratech and Kirk. These are both intriguing, but I am wondering about risks of adding another 3/8" bolt to the system as well as their capability with a rig of this size and leverage.[/font]
[font="Open Sans", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Thanks for any education you can give me![/font]
[font="Open Sans", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]OZB[/font]

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:22 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I have used Gitzo leveling bases for a long time and like them. Others on this site are not as fond of them. You can find used Gitzos on eBay like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144392896871?h ... SwoOth-CHM

It’s only about $105 without the bowl. You might find a bowl there too.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Ozark Bill on Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:29 pm
Ozark Bill
Forum Contributor
Thanks Joe, I didn't think about picking one up used.

by Larry Shuman on Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:03 am
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
Ozark Bill wrote:Thanks Joe, I didn't think about picking one up used.
Check out backcountrygallery.com for a video on balancing a big lens.

4 posts |