« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:48 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
https://www.dpreview.com/news/3960724776/canon-ceo-confirms-1dx-mark-iii-the-company-last-flagship-dslr-surprising-absolutely-no-one

Another article

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:52 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The DSLR died in October 2013, it just didn't know it yet...

by Wildflower-nut on Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:06 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
R.I.P.

by Swissblad on Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:56 am
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:The DSLR died in October 2013, it just didn't know it yet...
Photography using digital cameras died on 29 June 2007....witness the plummet in sales (≈90%) following this pivotal event ;)

by WJaekel on Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:25 am
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
The decision is no surprise at all, though sad, IMO. Nevertheless, DSRLs will continue to work though some people obviously imply, that DSLRs could not do the job for excellent output in the past decades and cannot deliver furthermore with ML being the one and only holy grail.  Many pros still rely on that 'outdated'  DSLR technology. I have both the R5 and 1DxIII, btw. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. DSLRs had reached a very high level so the market was saturated and the companies looked for a way to make more profit which is a main reason for the move, IMHO. Saving costs is another point. The smartphone hype maybe has contributed, too. Additionally, Sony never really got their feet on the ground in the DSLR segment compared to Nikon and Canon. Once they advanced to and evolved ML, the competitors had to follow.

Wolfgang

by OntPhoto on Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:17 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
This has made the decision making easy for me.  I was heading to mirrorless anyways, eye-tracking and all.  And there will be a number of new R cameras to choose from based on what I have read.  Everyone will find one that suits them.  Say good-bye to my (once upon a time expensive) CF cards, they were put to good use.  Glad I didn't invest in more.

But I should get rid of my EF-S glass while I still can.  I hung onto the Canon 75-300 IS lens a bit too long.  Nice museum piece, Canon's first ever IS lens. 

by WDCarrier on Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:39 pm
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
Yeah...I've realized for several years that technology was advancing faster than my ability to afford to keep up with it. I've got a lot of originally expensive paper weights in boxes and drawers around the house (anyone need a 500mm f4? It only weighs 9 lbs!) But, it was fun for a long time...until Covid.
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]

by bradmangas on Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:57 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
Hopefully this will lower the cost of the Nikon D850 more, as long as they are still available. I am going to add a second D850 to my bag as soon as possible. It is really the only camera I plan on using going forward. I would image for the next 5 years or so, or until it does not do what I want it to do.

While everyone is clamoring over saving a pound or ounces here and there I would much rather have the reliability and superior build and quality that the Nikon D850 is known for and has the proven track record to support. I firmly believe it is one of the few cameras still on the market and available that is worth the price it sells for.

If anyone is looking to sell a Nikon D850 that is in excellent condition, I would be interested.

by Scott Fairbairn on Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:19 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
bradmangas wrote:Hopefully this will lower the cost of the Nikon D850 more, as long as they are still available. I am going to add a second D850 to my bag as soon as possible. It is really the only camera  I plan on using going forward. I would image for the next 5 years or so, or until it does not do what I want it to do.

While everyone is clamoring over saving a pound or ounces here and there I would much rather have the reliability and superior build and quality that the Nikon D850 is known for and has the proven track record to support. I firmly believe it is one of the few cameras still on the market and available that is worth the price it sells for.

If anyone is looking to sell a Nikon D850 that is in excellent condition, I would be interested.
I've never owned a D850, but it sounds like the near-perfect DSLR, and maybe the last to hold that title. It seems like the jack of all trades and master of all to those that own it. 

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:57 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Brad
Keep checking the Nikon and other websites often. For the holidays, it was reduced by $300 or $500. They do that occasionally. I bought one last spring when they were on sale and love it when paired with the 300 f4 pf and 1.4 TC. Coming up from the D700, it is an amazing camera. When I see used D850’s, they are selling for the same price as a new one on sale.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/pho/d/phoenix-nikon-mp-digital-slr-in-box-low/7425201469.html

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

10 posts |