« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 57 posts | 
by photoman4343 on Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:03 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
If youhave an interest, here is the link to Thom Hogan's Z9 in Africa from last night

Nikon Z9 in Africa

Meeting Recording

https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/TAdIK ... 01Ty4UYPjC

Recording expires January 11th
Joe Smith

by photoman4343 on Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:53 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Nancy, thank you for the information.

For those of you with a Z 9, some questions regarding the battery charger and cables.

With the Z 9, does it come with an USB power adapter and USB cable to charge the Battery? Some posts say there is no USB power adapter in the box. If there is no power adapter in the box, do you need a USB C or a USB A power adapter?

And which specific USB cable is needed and is that in the box too? I do not know if the cable is Type A to type USB-C or something else like type USB C to USB-C.

I did not find the needed information in the Z 9 Reference manual.
Joe Smith

by flygirl on Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:09 pm
flygirl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00824
photoman4343 wrote:Nancy, thank you for the information.

For those of you with a Z 9, some questions regarding the battery charger and cables.

With the Z 9, does it come with an USB power adapter and USB cable to charge the Battery? Some posts say there is no USB power adapter in the box. If there is no power adapter in the box, do you need a USB C or a USB A power adapter?

And which specific USB cable is needed and is that in the box too? I do not know if the cable is Type A to type USB-C or something else  like type USB C to USB-C.

I did not find the needed information in the Z 9 Reference manual.

In the box is a USB-C to USB-A cable, a short one.  The battery charger can be unplugged from the battery holder part to plug into the USB-C plug on the camera for in camera charging.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:25 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
From NPS:

NPS Membership,
Happy New Year!

In our continued effort to keep you informed as it relates to the Z 9 shipments, we are happy to report that all NPS priority orders received by 12/19/21 are in process and should be on their way to retailers later this week.

Anyone that submitted a priority request between 12/20/2021 and 1/3/2022 will be processed no later than early next week.

The NPS Team is here to provide the best service in the industry, so please let us know how we can assist in any way possible. One final reminder, January kicked off account renewals and if you have not already done so, please make certain to update your membership for 2022!

Warm Regards,
The NPS Team

by Walter Rowe on Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:02 pm
Walter Rowe
Lifetime Member
Member #:00177
Brad Hill has some interesting blog posts on the Z9.

http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html

Settings, tests, cold Canadian winter battery tests, etc.
Walter Rowe | WalterRowe.com

by Walter Rowe on Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:16 pm
Walter Rowe
Lifetime Member
[ I am not sure why .. I entered this as formatted rich text but for me it is displaying as bbcode ]

Firmware 1.10 released.

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/432.html

[ul]
[li]Increased the burst length for dual-format (NEF/RAW + JPEG or JPEG + JPEG) pictures taken at 20 fps in continuous high-speed release mode.[/li]
[ul]
[li]“C” firmware version 1.00:[/li]
[ul]
[li]NEF/RAW (high-efficiency★) + JPEG basic (large): Approx. 3 seconds *[/li]
[li]JPEG Slot 1 - JPEG Slot 2 (Slot 1: JPEG fine (large); Slot 2: JPEG basic (small)): Approx. 3 seconds *[/li]
[/ul]
[li] “C” firmware version 1.10:[/li]
[ul]
[li]NEF/RAW (high-efficiency★) + JPEG basic (large): Approx. 8 seconds *[/li]
[li]JPEG Slot 1 - JPEG Slot 2 (Slot 1: JPEG fine (large); Slot 2: JPEG basic (small)): Approx. 8 seconds *[/li]
[/ul]
[li]* The length of the burst that can be taken before the frame advance rate drops. Figures are reference values obtained via in-house measurements performed using a NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.8 S lens and a ProGrade Digital COBALT 1700R 325GB CFexpress memory card. Burst length will drop in some circumstances, including if:[/li]
[ul]
[li]Backup is selected for Role played by card in Slot 2 or[/li]
[li]ON is selected for Auto distortion control.[/li]
[/ul]
[/ul]
[li]Options highlighted in the Filtered playback criteria list in the PLAYBACK MENU can now also be selected and deselected by pressing the multi selector right.[/li]
[li]Fixed an issue that prevented optional SB-5000 flash units synchronizing with the shutter when all the following conditions were met:[/li]
[ul]
[li]A shutter speed faster than the flash sync speed was selected with 1/200 s (Auto FP) or 1/250 s (Auto FP) chosen for Custom Setting e1 Flash sync speed in the CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU.[/li]
[li]The SB-5000 was controlled via radio AWL using an optional WR-R10 or WR-R11a wireless remote controller mounted on the camera.[/li]
[li]The flash unit was not mounted on the camera accessory shoe.[/li]
[/ul]
[/ul]

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:54 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Walter Rowe wrote:I am not sure why .. I entered this as formatted rich text but for me it is displaying as bbcode 
This may help:

https://www.naturescapes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=246636

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:05 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Quote Walter Rowe:

“I am not sure why .. I entered this as formatted rich text but for me it is displaying as bbcode

Firmware 1.10 released.

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/ ... w/432.html]https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/ ... w/432.html

Increased the burst length for dual-format (NEF/RAW + JPEG or JPEG + JPEG) pictures taken at 20 fps in continuous high-speed release mode.

“C” firmware version 1.00:

NEF/RAW (high-efficiency★) + JPEG basic (large): Approx. 3 seconds *
JPEG Slot 1 - JPEG Slot 2 (Slot 1: JPEG fine (large); Slot 2: JPEG basic (small)): Approx. 3 seconds *

“C” firmware version 1.10:

NEF/RAW (high-efficiency★) + JPEG basic (large): Approx. 8 seconds *
JPEG Slot 1 - JPEG Slot 2 (Slot 1: JPEG fine (large); Slot 2: JPEG basic (small)): Approx. 8 seconds *

* The length of the burst that can be taken before the frame advance rate drops. Figures are reference values obtained via in-house measurements performed using a NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.8 S lens and a ProGrade Digital COBALT 1700R 325GB CFexpress memory card. Burst length will drop in some circumstances, including if:

Backup is selected for Role played by card in Slot 2 or
ON is selected for Auto distortion control.

Options highlighted in the Filtered playback criteria list in the PLAYBACK MENU can now also be selected and deselected by pressing the multi selector right.
Fixed an issue that prevented optional SB-5000 flash units synchronizing with the shutter when all the following conditions were met:

A shutter speed faster than the flash sync speed was selected with 1/200 s (Auto FP) or 1/250 s (Auto FP) chosen for Custom Setting e1 Flash sync speed in the CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU.
The SB-5000 was controlled via radio AWL using an optional WR-R10 or WR-R11a wireless remote controller mounted on the camera.
[li]The flash unit was not mounted on the camera accessory shoe.”

Maybe this is better.

Joe

[/li]
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:31 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
New review from PetaPixel. Note especially the part about using Adobe to open images from the z9.

https://petapixel.com/2022/01/10/though ... ikon-dslr/

Joe

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:35 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
New review:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/ ... #fieldtest

Images are not impressive, but they are processed in ACR. Others have recommended that ACR is not the best with z9 files, as noted above.

Joe

by Scott Fairbairn on Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:07 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
SantaFeJoe wrote:New review:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/ ... #fieldtest

Images are not impressive, but they are processed in ACR. Others have recommended that ACR is not the best with z9 files, as noted above.

Joe

I haven't tried ACR, but mine process very well in Capture One, but I haven't tried anything but lossless compressed yet, and I was shooting in good light. 

Edit: I did a quick comparison of the same image at ISO2800, Capture one is superior to Lightroom/ACR in terms of shadow noise. 

by Walter Rowe on Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:01 pm
Walter Rowe
Lifetime Member
Adobe has documented that their Z9 support is “preliminary”. I infer this to mean they can decode the files, but don’t yet have their in-house tailored custom profile. Capture One 22 has a finished profile for lossless compressed, but not yet for the new lossy compressed high efficiency formats (HE/HE*). Nikon NX Studio has the best support of course, since it comes from Nikon. They updated that in December to 1.1.1.

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/ ... 9/Z_9.html

by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:28 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Walter Rowe wrote:Adobe has documented that their Z9 support is “preliminary”. I infer this to mean they can decode the files, but don’t yet have their in-house tailored custom profile. Capture One 22 has a finished profile for lossless compressed, but not yet for the new lossy compressed high efficiency formats (HE/HE*). Nikon NX Studio has the best support of course, since it comes from Nikon. They updated that in December to 1.1.1.

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/ ... 9/Z_9.html

Thanks, I’m not a big fan of OEM software, however, I gave it a short go last night. It’s a little slower than Capture One, but a preliminary look at the first level of high efficiency files suggests the quality level is good. It’ll take a more serious look to see how it stacks up to normal formats. 
One thing, the 500PF doesn’t balance well with the adapter and Z9, it puts the balance point to close to the camera. I might have to put a longer plate on the lens.

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:20 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:One thing, the 500PF doesn’t balance well with the adapter and Z9, it puts the balance point to close to the camera. I might have to put a longer plate on the lens.
Am I correct in thinking that you are referring to when the rig is mounted on a tripod? It seems that if handholding, it shouldn’t matter that much. Also, which adapter are you using, the original or the new model?

Joe

by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:52 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:One thing, the 500PF doesn’t balance well with the adapter and Z9, it puts the balance point to close to the camera. I might have to put a longer plate on the lens.
Am I correct in thinking that you are referring to when the rig is mounted on a tripod? It seems that if handholding, it shouldn’t matter that much. Also, which adapter are you using, the original or the new model?

Joe

Yes, when mounted on a tripod. You have to move the rig far forward to balance it. I'm using a Wimberley replacement foot and FTZ II. It does matter for handholding if you're using a black-rapid style shoulder strap to attach it to the tripod foot. The camera end is heavier, so the lens points upwards. I rest my hand on the camera to keep it level.

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:01 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Being that I’m not familiar with the foot, I’m wondering if the foot or the whole tripod collar can be reversed to shift the balance point to the back some?

Joe

by George DeCamp on Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:51 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00147
SantaFeJoe wrote:Being that I’m not familiar with the foot, I’m wondering if the foot or the whole tripod collar can be reversed to shift the balance point to the back some?

Joe
It's a non removable tripod collar! Foot is made so that it slides over a piece on the tripod collar so you can't really reverse it I don't think.

by david fletcher on Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:13 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Z9 Firmware 1.11.   Various updates for Video recording and Support for the 400 2.8

HERE
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:13 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
david fletcher wrote:Z9 Firmware 1.11.   Various updates for Video recording and Support for the 400 2.8

HERE

That's two firmware updates since the camera started to ship on December 24th or so, they seem eager to make sure it's a success.

by George DeCamp on Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:30 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00147
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
david fletcher wrote:Z9 Firmware 1.11.   Various updates for Video recording and Support for the 400 2.8

HERE

That's two firmware updates since the camera started to ship on December 24th or so, they seem eager to make sure it's a success.
I got the camera on 12/28 so I've had it 1 month tomorrow! This camera is awesome!! Keepers are way way up and sharp! 

I've treated myself to the new 400/2.8S also so I'm gonna be a real happy camper soon!!

57 posts |