« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 57 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:20 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
From E.J. Peiker:

Please use this thread to post new Nikon Z9 information rather than starting numerous separate threads. Thanks much :)

A new review (first impressions) of a production model z9:

https://fstoppers.com/reviews/nikon-z-9-arrived-here-are-my-first-impressions-590585

Not really a lot there, but he will update as time goes by.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:00 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I will retitle this thread, bring in other ones and this will be the Z9 thread.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:03 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
From David Fletcher:

Digital Z9 help files
Might be of interest.  Z9
Some features quite basic, but easy looking.  

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:05 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
From Santa Fe Joe - Thom Hogan on the Z9:

I don’t remember this being posted before, but this is what Thom said about a pre-production z9 on safari:

https://www.zsystemuser.com/z-mount-cameras/the-z9-blog/

Also, check this out:

https://www.zsystemuser.com/nikon-z-system-news-and/the-z9-in-africa.html

Joe

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:07 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
From David Fletcher - the Z9 Manual:

Finally showed up.. Z9

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:18 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Fro tests Z9 AF production camera AF in various situations including BIF:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIY05sdEzyo

by david fletcher on Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:04 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Good shout EJ. All the best for holidays and Xmas.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:35 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
DPReview's initial review:
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon- ... ess-camera

by david fletcher on Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:51 am
david fletcher
More info...  Sports Z9

NSN00525

by david fletcher on Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:13 am
david fletcher
Firmware update for the Z9 for January 5th.  Firmware

(sorry, not showing on Nikon US yet).  

Worth noting the comments about card speed at the bottom...

NSN00525

by George DeCamp on Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:48 am
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00147
Out for Delivery Tuesday, December 28, 1:15 PM - 4:15 PM

Get it today...yay!

by david fletcher on Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:19 pm
david fletcher
George DeCamp wrote:Out for Delivery Tuesday, December 28, 1:15 PM - 4:15 PM

Get it today...yay!
In time to charge up for your birthday George... Have a wonderful day!

NSN00525

by George DeCamp on Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:12 am
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00147
david fletcher wrote:
George DeCamp wrote:Out for Delivery Tuesday, December 28, 1:15 PM - 4:15 PM

Get it today...yay!
In time to charge up for your birthday George... Have a wonderful day!
Thank You Dave! 

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:42 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Firmware update to increase continuous shooting:

https://camerajabber.com/firmware-exten ... -shooting/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by pdschu on Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:54 pm
pdschu
Forum Contributor
I ordered a Z9 camera within 5-6 minutes after B&H opened orders on October 28. No joy as of now. I find it hard to believe that wouldn’t be in the early shipping group of December 24. Of course B&H mumble a response from one person that they should be shipped by the end of December to another who had no idea. Clearly not the best roll out from Nikon. 
Paul Schumacher
Schumacher Photography

by flygirl on Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:02 pm
flygirl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00824
There seems to be issues related to B&H than Nikon, I think.  I keep hearing the delay in delivery from people who ordered from B&H.  I ordered via the Nikon Store this time, then put in my NPS priority order slip.  I received it Dec 24th, overnight delivery.  Now, my first impressions are, I love it!!!  Worlds apart from my Z7II was, which I sold.  I am still trying to tweak the settings and custom buttons to suite me.  This is one of the first and one of the last frames in a 30 frame sequence using 3D, animal eye, AF, 15 fps, handheld, using the Nikon 500 f/5.6 PF lens, iso 4000, 1/2500, f/5.6.  That little square held on all through the sequence, even with the subject at the edge of the frame.  Two frames were a bit soft.  The last one is of a night heron taken at iso 10,000.  Seemed cleaner than the D850, easy to work with.

by wdg on Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:09 pm
wdg
Forum Contributor
pdschu wrote:I ordered a Z9 camera within 5-6 minutes after B&H opened orders on October 28. No joy as of now. I find it hard to believe that wouldn’t be in the early shipping group of December 24. Of course B&H mumble a response from one person that they should be shipped by the end of December to another who had no idea. Clearly not the best roll out from Nikon. 
I’m surprised you haven’t gotten the camera. I ordered the first day from BH/filled out my priority papers. 
When I called BH to check on delivery I was told they had gotten enough of a shipment from Nikon to fill all orders placed that day. 
However, the person I talked to had no idea what NPS was or how priority ship was handled - so maybe the person I was talking to didn’t know all the facts. 
You don’t mention if you had NPS priority ship. 
My point is that I think if there is a problem, I believe it rests with BH not Nikon. 
This isn’t the first questionable interaction with BH I’ve had in recent years. 

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:48 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
pdschu wrote:I ordered a Z9 camera within 5-6 minutes after B&H opened orders on October 28. No joy as of now. I find it hard to believe that wouldn’t be in the early shipping group of December 24. Of course B&H mumble a response from one person that they should be shipped by the end of December to another who had no idea. Clearly not the best roll out from Nikon. 
This doesn't surprise me; even if you had ordered it in the first second of pre-order opening, you still wouldn't be anywhere near the front of the line as any and all NPS orders would jump the line.  From what I can tell, NPS members are ordering the Z9 at very high rates meaning those orders go to the head of the line.  That's not B&H policy, that is Nikon policy and they have to follow it.  Others have to follow it too but B&H have more NPS members as customers than all camera outlets combined.

by photoman4343 on Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:27 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Nancy, I am glad you got your Z 9. I would appreciate it if you would share your settings for the Z9 for future owners like me. My Z 9 will be my first Nikon mirrorless and think I will need help in getting the basic settings right. Now I am using  D850 and D500.

My vendor told me that he has no ETA for me as a non NPS member. He suggested I join NPS if I meet the requirements. I have another friend--also not in NPS who is being told that non NPS folks will not see a Z 9 until after January.
Joe Smith

by flygirl on Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:00 pm
flygirl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00824
photoman4343 wrote:Nancy, I am glad you got your Z 9. I would appreciate it if you would share your settings for the Z9 for future owners like me. My Z 9 will be my first Nikon mirrorless and think I will need help in getting the basic settings right. Now I am using  D850 and D500.

My vendor told me that he has no ETA for me as a non NPS member. He suggested I join NPS if I meet the requirements. I have another friend--also not in NPS who is being told that non NPS folks will not see a Z 9 until after January.

Joe, I had the same combo before picking up a Z7II mid 2020.  I tried to like it, but the AF was always behind and the slow speed of acquisition was painful, so I sold it.  What you will have to get use to is the availability of customizable buttons and the AF modes.  You will have to keep reminding yourself that the idea of center is best is out the window.  ALL the AF points are of the same accuracy, like all 493 in the Z9, from edge to edge.  You do have some AF modes that carry over, but of course, the 3D and auto area modes are transformed in the Z9 to modes that you actual want to use.  Now, obviously not all situations work for these auto modes, but that is what you work out over time.  I have customized the three front bottoms to the AF modes.  One that rotates through several of the modes, then the other two set for my two most used.  The buttons you will have to customize to your hands and well you reach them on the fly.  Now, the one thing that is just Da Bomb with these mirrorless cameras is the Live EVF, Electronic Viewfinder, with the Live histogram.  I LOVE that feature!!!  

Hope that gives you some idea, and of course, I will follow up as I learn.  But, you will find the Z9 fun to use!!

Nancy

57 posts |