Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by photoman4343 on Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:46 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
This lens is being shipped to buyers in the US. Brad Hill has some test results at his blog: 

http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.htm ... 9_Earliest
Joe Smith

by George DeCamp on Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:26 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00147
Got it today, beautiful lens! Of course it doesn't work without a camera that fits!
Hopefully my Z9 gets shipped to me soon, NPS said its on the way. Next week should be fun!

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:03 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
A few details about the lens here:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/22858 ... 5-5p6-vr-s

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by George DeCamp on Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:48 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
I put a 2x converter on it and still fast and sharp as a tack on the Z9. Crazy!!

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:51 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
George DeCamp wrote:I put a 2x converter on it and still fast and sharp as a tack on the Z9. Crazy!!
Have you used the 2x with other lenses and, if so, how did it perform? As we all know, Nikon 2x TC's are notoriously horrible. Can the z TC be that much better? That would be good news and quite a change. Finally, not a total waste of dinero!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by photoman4343 on Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:12 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I got my Nikon 100mm-400mm lens on Thursday along with the Z 1.4x TC. The build quality for both appears to be excellent. The tripod collar foot is the same (poor) design as the 500mm f5.6 pf. The lens sheet in the box is not the same as the lens manual. To get the manual you need to download it (42 pages) from NikonUSA:

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/ ... _VR_S.html

Since this is my first Z S lens I found it worth reading.

For most people, I am thinking this lens will be used mostly hand held. Since I do not have my Z 9 yet, (or another Z body) I will have to stare at it for awhile.
Joe Smith

by George DeCamp on Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:06 am
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
SantaFeJoe wrote:
George DeCamp wrote:I put a 2x converter on it and still fast and sharp as a tack on the Z9. Crazy!!
Have you used the 2x with other lenses and, if so, how did it perform? As we all know, Nikon 2x TC's are notoriously horrible. Can the z TC be that much better? That would be good news and quite a change. Finally, not a total waste of dinero!

Joe

I have not used it on another lens, besides the 100-400 I only have the 24-120S lens. I "think" the sensor is the reason they are better not necessarily the converters themselves. Even the F mount converters work better on the Z9. I tried the x1.7TC on the 500pf with the Z9 and it worked well and images were sharp and the lens was not slow. Of course it's not as fast as using no converter but it's a whole lot better than you would think.  E.J. probably knows more about it but so far It's pretty encouraging. We have had stormy days here since I got the Z9 but sooner or later I'll really get to really play.

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:09 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the info, George. Much appreciated.

Joe

8 posts |