Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Ed Okie on Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:20 pm
Ed Okie
Forum Contributor
[font=Segoe UI]iPhone 13 Pro Max as a camera.
Does anyone have a handle on, or know of a worthy information source for using this "camera"? The operation, setup and tweaks from a professional perspective. Camera flaws to avoid, setups that work best, etc. Still photos only.
The multitude of settings available, many are utterly baffling. Despite decades of film and digital experience (now using Sony), the Apple smartphone as a camera leaves me stone cold.
On a whim (a need to replace a vastly outdated cellphone) I thought I'd give the ProMax13 a try - possibly it is a worthy carry-everywhere camera? Many features are stunning!. But there is a multitude of buts! Just trying to physically hold the camera is a major issue. Suddenly faced with no choice of ISO, f/stop or shutter speed is unnerving. A fish out of water.
Expecting Apple ProRAW to perform flawlessly - it often produces wonky, exaggerated colors, even when starting with a Gray Card as a calibration source. ProRAW is an available choice in Adobe LightRoom Classic when working with the ProMax's 30-35 KB DNG files. Adobe Standard or Neutral seem to work better.

Needed is an information source, ideally an "E.J. of iPhone13" person. Professionally versed in "real" cameras, speaks with clarity, is articulate, thorough and genuinely knowledgeable. I've Google-searched and have come up with token results.
With rare exceptions, YouTube is otherwise filled with, well... 3rd rate blabber. A classic example: 22+ minutes to explain five methods of tripping the shutter. 60 seconds is adequate.
By far the best explanatory video I've come across: www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7nE-l1YpIE&ab_channel=DHTV  The young man is an excellent instructor, yet makes no claim of being a professional photographer! Are there other sources or forum websites worth viewing or reading?
[/font]

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:32 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
There are third party camera apps that you can use instead of the one that ships with the camera. One that gives you all of the traditional control that you are used to from a "real" camera ;) is called 645 Pro. It even has things like an RGB histogram. Currently it only supports two of the three lenses is the only downside that I am aware of. It does not appear to have support for the ultra wide lens as far as I can tell as of this writing.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:50 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Just watched the video you linked - truly must see for iPhone 13 camera users.

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:37 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
There are a lot of good apps out there for taking and processing images taken with iPhones. This one looks pretty helpful:

NeuralCam App

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by bradmangas on Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:49 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
I can relate to what you are dealing with. Keep in mind, regardless of what camera app you use, the native apple camera app or a third part there is a learning curve involved. Most third part apps may have a higher learning curve due to the extended features they include.

As E.J. mentioned the 645 Pro app is a fine app. I would also mention ProCamera (not to be confused with ProCam) as good app to consider. I have premium versions of both and have used them fairly extensively. With that said I have gravitated back to a much quicker and simpler workflow and now most often just use the native apple camera app.

I would also mention that personally I would not get your hopes up to high for whatever app you use hoping it will make much difference in the final quality of images. Smartphone cameras are still just smartphone cameras. Good for fun spontaneous use and do a pretty good job considering what they are. Even the phone 13 image quality is far inferior to a decent point and shoot.

I have compared images taken with my iPhone 13 Pro Max with those of my Canon G11 which is now a 12 year old point and shoot and the G11 images are still far superior to the smartphone images. And you can pick up G11 on eBay for $100!

They main thing is to use it to have fun, but be prepared for the apps to drive you crazy with frustration.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:45 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
bradmangas wrote: I would also mention that personally I would not get your hopes up to high for whatever app you use hoping it will make much difference in the final quality of images. Smartphone cameras are still just smartphone cameras. Good for fun spontaneous use and do a pretty good job considering what they are. Even the phone 13 image quality is far inferior to a decent point and shoot.
It's all about sensor/pixel size ;)

by mlgray12 on Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:15 pm
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Member #:01023
just saw a writeup on speculation of iPhone 14 - of course just guessing but one possibility is jumping resolution to 48 MP - that would be a serious upgrade, still see those tiny lens having trouble handling that level of resolution
Michael L. Gray
Wildlife and Conservation Bum

7 posts |