by E.J. Peiker on Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:23 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
https://www.dpreview.com/news/995691384 ... ess-camera

Full sized body - slightly smaller than a D6 and nearly the same weight
45mp
Fast scan so electronic shutter can be used on moving subjects
Auto AF detection of humans, pets, birds, airplanes, trains, cars, motorbikes and bicycles.
20FPS RAW capture with 1000 frame buffer
30FPS JPEG
120FPS in reduced file size of 11mp
Black-out free shooting
$5500 with initial availability late this year

Also a Z version of the 24-120, a 100-400, and an updated F to Z mount adapter

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:20 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
EVF right out of 2015 :( much lower Rez and refresh rates than the competition

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:20 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
From Nikon:

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-produ ... s/z-9.html

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:32 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
1/32,000 sec. shutter speed.

33mp frame grabs from 8K. Who needs talent to catch the right moment?

No blackout.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by wdg on Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:38 am
wdg
Forum Contributor
Curious about night photography- noise, etc

by bobsmith on Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:27 am
bobsmith
Lifetime Member
Member #:00313
wdg wrote:Curious about night photography- noise, etc

I’m very hopeful on the low light performance… Corey Rich was very complimentary of the low light video.

by bobsmith on Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:30 am
bobsmith
Lifetime Member
Member #:00313
E.J. Peiker wrote:EVF right out of 2015 :( much lower Rez and refresh rates than the competition

E J,

Who are you comparing the EVF to? I did not think Sony was higher….. but I don’t follow Sony very closely.

by George DeCamp on Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:15 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00147
People may or may not like him but this is a VERY good and comprehensive review by Jared Polin

https://youtu.be/OaZIURvvIvk

Take a look, very interesting!

by Scotty on Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:48 pm
Scotty
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:EVF right out of 2015 :( much lower Rez and refresh rates than the competition

While the Rez is low, Thom Hogan had this on his blog today: 

"Meanwhile the EVF has changed on the Z9 as well. While still having 3.69m dots, it also is faster, allowing for blackout free reproduction at 20 fps, and far brighter than any previous mirrorless camera EVF. Nikon keeps referring to the EVF as "live", implying some sort of Genlock capability. Plus, the EVF has a new Starlight View mode (to -9.5EV with f/1.2 lens)."
http://www.ecotonephoto.com

Last edited by Scotty on Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by George DeCamp on Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:02 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00147
Scotty wrote: "
[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Meanwhile the EVF has changed on the Z9, as well. While still having 3.69m dots, it also is faster, allowing for blackout free reproduction at 20 fps, and far brighter than any previous mirrorless camera EVF. Nikon keeps referring to the EVF as "live," implying some sort of Genlock capability. Plus, the EVF has a new Starlight View mode (to -9.5EV with f/1.2 lens)."[/font]
Also watch video above

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:55 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
bobsmith wrote:
E J,

Who are you comparing the EVF to? I did not think Sony was higher….. but I don’t follow Sony very closely.
The Sony a1 has a 9.44 million dot OLED EVF with a 0.9x viewfinder magnification.
The Canon R3 has a 5.76 million dot EVF

Many of the new cameras are in the 5.76 class, including much less expensive cameras than the Z9.

Scotty wrote:

While the Rez is low, Thom Hogan had this on his blog today: 

"Meanwhile the EVF has changed on the Z9 as well. While still having 3.69m dots, it also is faster, allowing for blackout free reproduction at 20 fps, and far brighter than any previous mirrorless camera EVF. Nikon keeps referring to the EVF as "live", implying some sort of Genlock capability. Plus, the EVF has a new Starlight View mode (to -9.5EV with f/1.2 lens)."
60FPS according to DPR.  Some of the better EVFs are twice as fast meaning the image will lag the subject by less.  The best that is physically possible at 60FPS is a 17ms viewfinder lag.  Zero blackout is amazing and those that have experienced it on cameras like the Sony a9 and a1 series, would never want to go back so Nikon shooters will certainly appreciate that.

A dark mode viewfinder mode is great, also something that the Sony cameras have had from the very beginning, but the implementation on the Sony cameras leaves a lot to be desired as it only allows you to compose that way, it does not allow you to focus (manually or AF).  Hopefully Nikon does not have this limitation.

by Swissblad on Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:07 am
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
Regardless of the nitpicking - I for one am truly glad that Nikon have released a new flagship camera  as worthy successor to the D3-D5 lineage.

Having used Nikons for the better part of 35 years - there is little appeal to switch brands - regardless if the grass appears momentarily greener on other pastures.

Our experience with Sony pro sound equipment (DAT) was less than satisfactory and left us in the lurch in crucial moments .....once bitten - twice shy . :(

Now all we can do is wait for this technology to trickle down to more affordable bodies.

by Karl Egressy on Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:19 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Weight is an important factor.
One of the major appeals of mirrorless cameras was weight reduction.
Z9 is not in this category, it is heavy and bulky.
Aging photographers won't like it IMO.

by adamsti on Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:12 am
adamsti
Forum Contributor
Karl Egressy wrote:Weight is an important factor.
Not this guy. I do not want a tiny camera on the back of my 500 f/4. It handles terrible. And unfortunately at 56 I am aging. :)
http://www.timadamsphotography.com

by photoman4343 on Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:40 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I do not have a degree in physics or any other scientific field. Can anyone explain in simple English what frames per sec are available on a Z9 for what image quality selection? And what does this mean for its buffer? And what card is needed to take advantage of each situation?

Joe
Joe Smith

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:54 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Hey Joe
Scroll down on this link to see the answer:

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-produ ... s-Overview

I believe it only takes CFexpress type B/XQD cards.

Joe

by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:51 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Perhaps someone can answer this question I have about the Z9. The higher frame rates of 30fps and 120fps(reduced file size) can only be taken in jpg mode. That is a huge limitation, and for nature photography, it doesn't seem like it will be of much use. However, my question is, why is the format jpg? A jpg has to be processed from the original data(raw), so it seems that it should be slower to create a jpg from the image? Or is the limitation the pipeline to write large raw files to the card?

by Karl Egressy on Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:18 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
adamsti wrote:
Karl Egressy wrote:Weight is an important factor.
Not this guy. I do not want a tiny camera on the back of my 500 f/4. It handles terrible. And unfortunately at 56 I am aging. :)

Well, aging is a relative term. I meant photographers over 75 won't like the almost 3.0 lbs. weight of the camera.

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:22 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:Perhaps someone can answer this question I have about the Z9. The higher frame rates of 30fps and 120fps(reduced file size) can only be taken in jpg mode. That is a huge limitation, and for nature photography, it doesn't seem like it will be of much use. However, my question is, why is the format jpg? A jpg has to be processed from the original data(raw), so it seems that it should be slower to create a jpg from the image? Or is the limitation the pipeline to write large raw files to the card?
There’s a lot more info to write with RAW so, yes, write speed is a limiting factor. JPG benefits sports photographers who must transfer images quickly to beat the competition and is good enough for their purposes. It also allows them to capture the exact moment they need.

Joe

by Dan Kearl on Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:11 pm
Dan Kearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:22021
Scott Fairbairn wrote:Perhaps someone can answer this question I have about the Z9. The higher frame rates of 30fps and 120fps(reduced file size) can only be taken in jpg mode. That is a huge limitation, and for nature photography, it doesn't seem like it will be of much use. However, my question is, why is the format jpg? A jpg has to be processed from the original data(raw), so it seems that it should be slower to create a jpg from the image? Or is the limitation the pipeline to write large raw files to the card?
As Joe says, for sports photographers it will be very nice... I saw a video where they imaged a baseball batter swinging and hitting a pitch and at 120 frames a second, they got the ball on the bat in 1 frame.... very much worth it for them.
I think there are rare times I need even 20 fps even for birds, going home and dumping 2000 frames to weed through it is not my cup of tea, but it would be nice at certain times and I am happy Nikon has a winner it appears.
I will wait for the Tech to trickle down for now.
The most important thing is autofocus.. I just want the frames I shoot to be in focus, I don't need 1000's of them.
I will wait on to hear about that..

Last edited by Dan Kearl on Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

48 posts |