fbpixel

Moderators: E.J. Peiker, Greg Downing

All times are UTC - 5 hours

  
« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 19 posts | 
by Swissblad on Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:07 pm
User avatar
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
Posts: 1715
Joined: 17 Jun 2016
First views on DP Review - looks like a winner for Nikon.
 

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:54 pm
User avatar
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Posts: 8301
Joined: 28 Jan 2012
Location: American Southwest
Member #:01817
From Nikon:

Nikon 800 pf

Price

And still no Arca style dovetail on the foot!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso
 

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:23 am
User avatar
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Posts: 86272
Joined: 16 Aug 2003
Location: Arizona
Member #:00002
Looking at the specs, the only item that disappoints me a bit is the 16.4 feet minimum focus distance.
 

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:45 am
User avatar
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Posts: 8301
Joined: 28 Jan 2012
Location: American Southwest
Member #:01817
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Looking at the specs, the only item that disappoints me a bit is the 16.4 feet minimum focus distance.


I thought the same thing until I realized that there aren't many things I would use an 800mm lens for at that distance or even closer!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso
 

by George DeCamp on Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:08 am
User avatar
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Posts: 3811
Joined: 20 Aug 2003
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
Member #:00147
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Looking at the specs, the only item that disappoints me a bit is the 16.4 feet minimum focus distance.


Would be nice if shorter distance but right in between 600FL and 800/5.6 so that's not bad!
 

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:16 am
User avatar
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Posts: 86272
Joined: 16 Aug 2003
Location: Arizona
Member #:00002
SantaFeJoe wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Looking at the specs, the only item that disappoints me a bit is the 16.4 feet minimum focus distance.


I thought the same thing until I realized that there aren't many things I would use an 800mm lens for at that distance or even closer!

Joe

The Canon RF 800mm f/5.6 has a MFD of 8.5 feet…
 

by Swissblad on Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:27 am
User avatar
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
Posts: 1715
Joined: 17 Jun 2016
E.J. Peiker wrote:
SantaFeJoe wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Looking at the specs, the only item that disappoints me a bit is the 16.4 feet minimum focus distance.


I thought the same thing until I realized that there aren't many things I would use an 800mm lens for at that distance or even closer!

Joe

The Canon RF 800mm f/5.6 has a MFD of 8.5 feet…


At only 3x the price.....never mind weight..... ;)

That said, it looks like a very odd design - as if somebody has just slammed a permanent 2x converter on a 400mm f2.8.
 

by hullyjr on Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:36 pm
hullyjr
Forum Contributor
Posts: 502
Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Location: Grayslake, IL, USA
I'm definately sold on this lens for my type of bird photography. There is nothing to touch this in any of the native mirrorless full frame mounts. Olympus's 150-400 is an excellent choice for m43. Maybe Canon's 400/4DO + 2x is close but still more expensive and slightly slower.

All that is missing is a mirrorless D500, a baby Z9! Please.....
Jim Hully
Grayslake, IL
Images now at https://www.flickr.com/photos/138068378@N06/
 

by Dan Kearl on Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:49 pm
Dan Kearl
Forum Contributor
Posts: 1461
Joined: 06 Mar 2019
Member #:22021
"All that is missing is a mirrorless D500, a baby Z9! Please....."
Not sure that is going to happen anytime soon.. you still can't get a Z9
and I think the 800mm was meant for full frame. 1200mm on a D500
would almost be too much. A lot of atmosphere...
Nikon would dominate the market if any of this stuff was actually available...
 

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:09 pm
User avatar
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Posts: 86272
Joined: 16 Aug 2003
Location: Arizona
Member #:00002
Swissblad wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
SantaFeJoe wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Looking at the specs, the only item that disappoints me a bit is the 16.4 feet minimum focus distance.


I thought the same thing until I realized that there aren't many things I would use an 800mm lens for at that distance or even closer!

Joe

The Canon RF 800mm f/5.6 has a MFD of 8.5 feet…


At only 3x the price.....never mind weight..... ;)


Not sure there's a correlation between MFD and price  :mrgreen:
 

by neubigod on Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:13 pm
neubigod
Forum Contributor
Posts: 15
Joined: 08 Nov 2008
hullyjr wrote:
I'm definately sold on this lens for my type of bird photography. There is nothing to touch this in any of the native mirrorless full frame mounts. Olympus's 150-400 is an excellent choice for m43. Maybe Canon's 400/4DO + 2x is close but still more expensive and slightly slower.

All that is missing is a mirrorless D500, a baby Z9! Please.....




Olympus 150-400 close focusing is 51".
 

by DChan on Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:48 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Posts: 2183
Joined: 09 Jan 2009
neubigod wrote:
hullyjr wrote:
I'm definately sold on this lens for my type of bird photography. There is nothing to touch this in any of the native mirrorless full frame mounts. Olympus's 150-400 is an excellent choice for m43. Maybe Canon's 400/4DO + 2x is close but still more expensive and slightly slower.

All that is missing is a mirrorless D500, a baby Z9! Please.....




Olympus 150-400 close focusing is 51".


Shorter and lighter with a built-in 1.25TC. But it costs about $1k more. To me, being able to focus close is always a good feature to have.
 

by photoman4343 on Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:27 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Posts: 1923
Joined: 01 Feb 2004
Location: Houston, TX
I just cannot get interested in any new Nikon Z lens no matter how good it might be as I still do not have a Z 9 body to use it on. Why should I buy or order anything more from a company that cannot fulfill camera orders placed five to six months ago? This may not be "fair" to this new lens, but it is a fair criticism of the company offering the lens for sale.
Joe Smith
 

by Scott Fairbairn on Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:18 pm
User avatar
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Posts: 5052
Joined: 13 Jan 2005
photoman4343 wrote:
I just cannot get interested in any new Nikon Z lens no matter how good it might be as I still do not have a Z 9 body to use it on. Why should I buy or order anything more from a company that cannot fulfill  camera orders placed five to six months ago? This may not be "fair" to this new lens, but it is a fair criticism of the company offering the lens for sale.


Nikon always seems to have had this problem. Not a winning long term strategy. I think it hurts them further with the performance of the other Z cameras. 
 

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:44 pm
User avatar
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Posts: 8301
Joined: 28 Jan 2012
Location: American Southwest
Member #:01817
Steve Perry’s video review of a pre-production model:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/9313738346/video-steve-perry-goes-hands-on-with-the-new-nikkor-z-800mm-f6-3-vr-s-lens-in-florida

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso
 

by Swissblad on Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:09 pm
User avatar
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
Posts: 1715
Joined: 17 Jun 2016
Always appreciate Steve's reviews!

Here is his supplement on the new 800mmPF.
 

by Scott B on Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:53 am
Scott B
Forum Contributor
Posts: 64
Joined: 30 Mar 2016
I agree with E.J. on MFD I would use the closer focus distance often, but it appears to be an amazing lens for the price. I could convert from Canon to Nikon with most of my favorite lenses for the price difference between this lens and the recent Canon 800mm.
 

by Swissblad on Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:21 pm
User avatar
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
Posts: 1715
Joined: 17 Jun 2016
Scott B wrote:
I agree with E.J. on MFD I would use the closer focus distance often, but it appears to be an amazing lens for the price.  I could convert from Canon to Nikon with most of my favorite lenses for the price difference between this lens and the recent Canon 800mm.


Interesting comparison between the Canon and Nikon lenses on Canon Rumours.
 

by david fletcher on Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:04 am
User avatar
david fletcher
Moderator
Posts: 30048
Joined: 24 Sep 2004
Location: UK
Member #:00525
Swissblad wrote:
Scott B wrote:
I agree with E.J. on MFD I would use the closer focus distance often, but it appears to be an amazing lens for the price.  I could convert from Canon to Nikon with most of my favorite lenses for the price difference between this lens and the recent Canon 800mm.


Interesting comparison between the Canon and Nikon lenses on Canon Rumours.


Now I understand where your earlier comment thinking the Canon looks like a 400 2.8 with a x2 extender bolted on.   :)  

Regardless of that, the price and weight will be huge drivers for many decisions yet to be made. 
Make your life spectacular!
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:  
19 posts | 
  

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group