Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:51 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
There is no such thing which is why I have purchased numerous camera backpacks over the years.  Or maybe I just haven't found the right one.  There is a bag for every purpose.

Based on my good experience with the Think Tank Glass Limo, I started to explore more of the Think Tank line of backpacks particularly the Street Walker model. There were two I was interested in, the Street Walker PRO and the regular model. 

Like anyone, I did my research online first, even contacting the vendor for advice.  I told them what camera and gear I was planning to carry, a DSLR with a battery grip and a smaller lens like the 70-200 2.8L + 1.4x or 100-400L IS.  They recommended the Street Walker PRO because of the battery grip.  They said the non-Pro version would put a strain on the zipper.  

So, I ordered the Pro model.  Nice bag but still felt a bit big to me.  I'm not going to order the non-Pro because apparently, it is not recommended for gripped cameras.

I still kept doing more research and saw in one video that someone had a gripped camera in the non-Pro bag.  I'm starting to have my doubts.  One person told me that he had both bags and he used the non-Pro model for home use and the Pro for travel.  Made sense.  When you read the dimensions of the 2 bags, it doesn't look like there is much of a difference in capacity.  I wouldn't want to end up buying a backpack too small for a gripped camera.  I already have the Pro.  Still, it kept nagging at me.  You have to try it to rule it out.  See for yourself which is the more appropriate bag.

So, I contacted the vendor again and asked, 'is it really worth trying the non-Pro model as the dimensions seem very similar to the Pro.  Doesn't seem like much difference.  The vendor rep said, 'the non-Pro is a much smaller bag'.  Much smaller?  Hard to see the difference even in the Think Tank demos on Youtube.  But when I was told that there is a noticeable difference, my curiosity had to be satisfied.  I will just return it if not what I want. 

So, I purchased the Street Walker non-Pro.  Was I ever surprised.  You need to see the bags side by side and I don't see any videos out there doing that.  The non-Pro version is much better for my needs.  Definitely less bulky and fits what I want in a much more compact form.  Now, I see why the other fella said he had both models.  One is definitely more compact and will do for everyday use.  I may even take it traveling.  Now I see why the vendor rep said the bags are noticeably different in size.  But they were wrong telling me it was not for a gripped camera.  

Street Walker Pro vs non-Pro

This view says it all.  Difference between the Street Walker Pro and Street Walker. 
Non-Pro with Canon 7D MK2, 1.4x, Canon 70-200 2.8L IS III and lens hood extended.  Wimberley Lens foot attached. Fits nicely.  Zips up comfortably with no strain on the zipper.  I think it will even fit a 1DX + grip. 
Pro version.  Same gear.

by OntPhoto on Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:26 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
If I had to do it again, I would have just purchased the StreetWalker and not the StreetWalker Pro.  The Pro may be roomier but not all that much, for me.  But the Pro is much bulkier.  The non-Pro version is all I need with less bulkm and a smaller footprint on your back. I mostly carry the 100-400L IS, 70-200 2.8L IS or Canon 400 5.6L.  All with camera attached and tele-converter in some cases.

I have been using the StreetWalker (non-Pro) this winter on recent long walks and it feels very comfortable on the back.  Mind you, a thick down-filled coat helps with cushioning the shoulder straps.  I can walk for hours with this backpack and it feels like nothing.  This is with the chest strap on, waist strap on and shoulder harness adjusted to the right height.

by Des on Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:58 pm
Des
Forum Contributor
I have been using the Streetwalker Hardrive for a good number of years travelling around the world. When one of the straps tore, I started looking for an alternative as many new bags have since been introduced. After looking for a couple of months, I realise that for my needs, there really is no better bag than the Thinktank Streetwalker Hardrive, so I bought another! That was 3 years ago...
Regards,

Des

captivatingnature.co.uk

by ChrisRoss on Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:51 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
Streetwalker bags are very good, I have the hard drive model. These days I only use it for travel be it in the car or by plane, not that I've been on one for a while. For walking I now use a belt system with one of Think tanks digital holster bags. The largest model will take a pro body with a 300mm f4 or 400 f5.6 with hood extended or similar sized lens I have a couple of other pouches on the other side for smaller lenses and accessories and I've now added a lens pouch that I use to carry my travel tripod. Also have a water bottle carrier on it.

Advantages are that all weight is on your hips, camera is accessible without taking off a pack, I can have it out ready to shoot in a couple of seconds. You can change lenses without removing a pack. In hot weather you don't have a pack on your back, so it's a lot cooler. I have the harness that goes with the belt which basically acts to prevent the belt slipping down. Never go back to a backpack system.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by OntPhoto on Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:30 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Des wrote:I have been using the Streetwalker Hardrive for a good number of years travelling around the world. When one of the straps tore, I started looking for an alternative as many new bags have since been introduced. After looking for a couple of months, I realise that for my needs, there really is no better bag than the Thinktank Streetwalker Hardrive, so I bought another! That was 3 years ago...
Been very busy this winter and spring so just catching up on posts.

I am glad you found a bag that works well for you.  I have gone through so many backpacks over the years, maybe 15 bags is a good estimate.  Everything from side holsters to small backpacks to large ones where you can carry multiple lenses along with the 500mm. Our tastes change as our needs evolve and we get smarter.  :)  I know some who carry everything and the kitchen sink when they first start out.  Can't miss a shot so must carry everything. Then you learn what is essential, what's important to you and start to whittle down the load.  That is one reason I prefer the StreetWalker to the StreetWalker PRO.  Less is more sometimes.

by OntPhoto on Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:40 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
ChrisRoss wrote:Streetwalker bags are very good, I have the hard drive model.  These days I only use it for travel be it in the car or by plane, not that I've been on one for a while.  For walking I now use a belt system with one of Think tanks digital holster bags.  The largest model will take a pro body with a 300mm f4 or 400 f5.6 with hood extended or similar sized lens I have a couple of other pouches on the other side for smaller lenses and accessories and I've now added a lens pouch that I use to carry my travel tripod.  Also have a water bottle carrier on it.

Advantages are that all weight is on your hips, camera is accessible without taking off a pack, I can have it out ready to shoot in a couple of seconds.  You can change lenses without removing a pack.  In hot weather you don't have a pack on your back, so it's a lot cooler. I have the harness that goes with the belt which basically acts to prevent the belt slipping down.  Never go back to a backpack system.
ThinkTank makes the Turnstyle 20 V2, a sling bag that I like to use when going light (or when trying to be discreet).  I can take camera out without taking the bag off - it just slides from my back to the front.  I do this when changing lenses or taking off or putting on a tele-converter.   And the built-in rain cover has come in handy many times this spring.

by ChrisRoss on Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:13 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:
ChrisRoss wrote:
Advantages are that all weight is on your hips, camera is accessible without taking off a pack, I can have it out ready to shoot in a couple of seconds.  You can change lenses without removing a pack.  In hot weather you don't have a pack on your back, so it's a lot cooler. I have the harness that goes with the belt which basically acts to prevent the belt slipping down.  Never go back to a backpack system.
ThinkTank makes the Turnstyle 20 V2, a sling bag that I like to use when going light (or when trying to be discreet).  I can take camera out without taking the bag off - it just slides from my back to the front.  I do this when changing lenses or taking off or putting on a tele-converter.   And the built-in rain cover has come in handy many times this spring.
It's one way of doing it, but nowhere near as convenient, i can just flip the lid on the holster and lift the the camera out without looking - no fiddling or fumbling.  The videos they have on the site don't show it off to it's full advantage which is only achieved when you place it on their belt system.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

7 posts |