fbpixel
  
« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:24 pm
User avatar
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Posts: 85931
Joined: 16 Aug 2003
Location: Arizona
Member #:00002
Very interesting article with some graphs that show the full range of first and third party lens support for each of the major full frame mirrorless camera systems.  It shows just how much of a lead Sony has in this regard due to many more years and by having an open and licensable lens mount opposed to a proprietary lens mount like Canon and Nikon.  The L mount system is also reasonably well populated due to Sigma being part of the L-mount alliance:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/6196822450/full-frame-canon-nikon-panasonic-and-sony-mirrorless-lens-guide-2021
 

by imagenes_vivas on Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:16 am
User avatar
imagenes_vivas
Forum Contributor
Posts: 255
Joined: 31 Aug 2003
Location: Barcelona, Spain
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Very interesting article with some graphs that show the full range of first and third party lens support for each of the major full frame mirrorless camera systems.  It shows just how much of a lead Sony has in this regard due to many more years and by having an open and licensable lens mount opposed to a proprietary lens mount like Canon and Nikon.  The L mount system is also reasonably well populated due to Sigma being part of the L-mount alliance:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/6196822450/full-frame-canon-nikon-panasonic-and-sony-mirrorless-lens-guide-2021


I agree with you that it's interesting if we talk exclusively of original mount mirrorless lenses. But in the Sony an L system graph they include many "designed for DSLR" lenses. But not in the Canon and Nikon graphs. 

There are a lot of Canon and Nikon photographers (like me), working with original brand DSLR lenses in our mirrorless cameras, that we are happy of how well these DSLR lenses work and the infinitely wide of focal lengths available. When this July I made the change from DSLR to mirrorless I was a little worried to work that way with the EF lenses, but now I almost forgot that I'm using an adapter. All my EF lenses work flawlessly on the R5 (although if in the future I decide to buy new lenses, I will prefer to invest in RF mount lenses).

I agree also with you that it's a pity that Sigma does not make its new lenses for the RF and Z systems. Do you know if it's a patent issue that maybe can be solved in the future?
 

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:57 pm
User avatar
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Posts: 85931
Joined: 16 Aug 2003
Location: Arizona
Member #:00002
imagenes_vivas wrote:
I agree also with you that it's a pity that Sigma does not make its new lenses for the RF and Z systems. Do you know if it's a patent issue that maybe can be solved in the future?


Sony licenses their mount to third party manufacturers.  Canon and Nikon do not so third party manufacturers have to reverse engineer them resulting in delays and also potential compatibility issues on future cameras requiring firmware or even chip upgrades in the third party lenses.
 

by Mike in O on Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:04 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Posts: 2673
Joined: 22 Dec 2013
E.J. Peiker wrote:
imagenes_vivas wrote:
I agree also with you that it's a pity that Sigma does not make its new lenses for the RF and Z systems. Do you know if it's a patent issue that maybe can be solved in the future?


Sony licenses their mount to third party manufacturers.  Canon and Nikon do not so third party manufacturers have to reverse engineer them resulting in delays and also potential compatibility issues on future cameras requiring firmware or even chip upgrades in the third party lenses.


Canon has also been suing 3rd party lens makers for patent infringement.
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:  
4 posts | 
  

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group