All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:01 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
https://www.dpreview.com/news/8768191379/canon-launches-30fps-mirrorless-camera-with-eye-control-and-advanced-af

Plus a 100-400 at f8? No thanks.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:45 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I still can't get my head around ever wanting a big camera like this again or one that's just 24mp but that, of course, is just me and other's opinions will vary greatly.  My 100mp medium format cameras are smaller.  I am curious though as to how it fares in real world use performance - not just the claims of Canon's own reps and their Shooters of Light...

BTW, don't get hoodwinked by Canon's -7.5Ev AF capability claim.  They spec it with an f/1.2 lens where just about everyone else does that spec with an f/2 lens so you have to add 1 1/3 stops so it's really just a shade better than -6 which is roughly on par with several other cameras out there.

by Brian E. Small on Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:57 am
Brian E. Small
Forum Contributor
Member #:00479
E.J. Peiker wrote:I still can't get my head around ever wanting a big camera like this again or one that's just 24mp but that, of course, is just me and other's opinions will vary greatly.  My 100mp medium format cameras are smaller.  I am curious though as to how it fares in real world use performance - not just the claims of Canon's own reps and their Shooters of Light...

BTW, don't get hoodwinked by Canon's -7.5Ev AF capability claim.  They spec it with an f/1.2 lens where just about everyone else does that spec with an f/2 lens so you have to add 1 1/3 stops so it's really just a shade better than -6 which is roughly on par with several other cameras out there.

My thoughts exactly E.J.  My very first thought was really, 24 MP??  What is this 2009 we're living in..........................

by hullyjr on Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:13 pm
hullyjr
Forum Contributor
My biggest surprise of these announcements? That the non-L 100-400mm comes with a hood!
Jim Hully
Grayslake, IL
Images now at https://www.flickr.com/photos/138068378@N06/

by Jeff Pearl on Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:29 pm
Jeff Pearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:02142
I saw an R3 review on camera labs. https://www.cameralabs.com/canon-eos-r3-review/
 My first impression was it was large, and seemed to be competing with Sony A9II. It didn't look like anything I would be interested in buying. I think I would prefer the A9II over the R3.

by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:00 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
The size seems to be something that the Canikon can't let go of. A lot of Nikon's new lenses are far larger than say Sony's and when you look at how compact an A9II or A1 is compared to the Canon, it's not a contest to me, but I guess some people like the large camera and built-in grip.

by Doug on Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:39 am
Doug
Forum Contributor
I had hoped that the days of big bloated bricks were behind us but CaNikon seem fixated on that form factor. I'm very thankful that Sony is leading rather than following.
Doug Herr
Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

by Ed Cordes on Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:42 am
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
I certainly don't understand this camera.  I have been shooting my R5 for more than a year now and still love it.  It is smaller than the R3 and a bit lighter than my old 7D2.  Certainly smaller than the 1D4 I sold years ago.  RE the 24 MP sensor - Why?  Is there an advantage to stacked sensors that add resolution and allow huge cropping if needed?  Seems like a step backward to me, but maybe I just don't understand it all.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by Robert Royse on Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:56 pm
Robert Royse
Forum Contributor
If this was 45mp or more I could possibly consider selling my R5 for it since it seems to offer some advancements that would be desirable such as the improved electronic shutter with variable speeds, but I wouldn't consider this camera right now for myself. What I'd really like to see from Canon right now more that a new camera is a lens that could directly compete with the Sony 200-600 or the Nikon 500 f5.6 that offers the great compromise between length, speed, portability and price that those lenses do.
Bob Royse
http://www.roysephotos.com

by Brian E. Small on Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:27 am
Brian E. Small
Forum Contributor
Member #:00479
Robert Royse wrote:If this was 45mp or more I could possibly consider selling my R5 for it since it seems to offer some advancements that would be desirable such as the improved electronic shutter with variable speeds, but I wouldn't consider this camera right now for myself. What I'd really like to see from Canon right now more that a new camera is a lens that could directly compete with the Sony 200-600 or the Nikon 500 f5.6 that offers the great compromise between length, speed, portability and price that those lenses do.
Hey Bob,

We've got room for you on Team Sony  ;-)

by rajandesai on Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:25 am
rajandesai
Forum Contributor
Member #:01263
Brian E. Small wrote:
Robert Royse wrote:If this was 45mp or more I could possibly consider selling my R5 for it since it seems to offer some advancements that would be desirable such as the improved electronic shutter with variable speeds, but I wouldn't consider this camera right now for myself. What I'd really like to see from Canon right now more that a new camera is a lens that could directly compete with the Sony 200-600 or the Nikon 500 f5.6 that offers the great compromise between length, speed, portability and price that those lenses do.
Hey Bob,

We've got room for you on Team Sony  ;-)
Ha Ha! I agree. 
I switched to canon from Minolta. 
Now I am happy to be back to Sony. 

by hullyjr on Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:26 pm
hullyjr
Forum Contributor
I agree, especially for Canon or Nikon to produce mirrorless versions of 200-600, 600/5.6PF/DO. I have Nikon 500/5.6PF and IMHOit is the best birding lens when you do not want to tied to a tripod or shooting from a stationary position. I won't consider Sony for personal reasons relating to bad customer service with their audio equipment. My son twists my arm for Playstation but that is about it!
Jim Hully
Grayslake, IL
Images now at https://www.flickr.com/photos/138068378@N06/

12 posts |