All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by dbolt on Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:38 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Member #:00842
Task Manager/Performance sometimes reports up to 70-90% memory usage when busy processing files in my PC with 32GB memory installed. It idles at ~15%. My question is: If I add another 16GB, will processing speeds increase significantly, or does the computer process at the same rate until it calls for more memory and no more is available?
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA
http://dougboltphotography.com

by Mark L on Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:41 pm
Mark L
Forum Contributor
If you are hitting 90% memory utilization you would benefit from additional memory.  However, a crucial data point is exactly what the computer is using the memory for.  That is to say, if all you are doing is running PhotoShop with a bunch of large images with many layers and you hit 90% you would benefit by additional memory.  On the other hand, if you are running a bunch of different programs at the same time you could manage your memory by closing those that are not essential.  Another consideration can be how old your machine is and what graphics it is using.

I have a 6 year old machine that initially had 16GB of DDR4 3000, 14 memory.  When I started using a camera with a 61 MP sensor I was really lagging so I added an additional 32 GB of the same memory.  That eliminated my memory issues.

Recognizing that I didn't exactly answer your exact questions, I hope that I have helped provide some further background for you to think about your situation.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:21 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Most definitely, if youa re getting that high, there are times when system processes will take you beyond 100% which then slows the system dramatically. Most systems can't go from 32 to 48 without slowing down the original 32GB. You would want to go from 32 to 64 in all likelihood. That will make a big difference.

by dbolt on Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:08 am
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Mark EJ,

Thanks for your comments. Both were helpful.
I generally reboot before starting to edit photos. I will probably add an additional 32G in time. I'm still stinging from purchasing the new PC. Where i see extended periods of high memory usage is during batch processing De-Noise and other such programs.
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA

by Mark L on Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:49 am
Mark L
Forum Contributor
Make sure that the new memory is the same speed and latency as the existing memory so that you don't slow things down or generate conflicts.  I would suggest buying the same brand and model as the existing memory.  

by dbolt on Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:41 am
dbolt
Forum Contributor
I took a photo of the existing memory, so I should be able to duplicate what the box is running now. But, thanks - good advice.
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA

6 posts |