All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 17 posts | 
by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:42 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
After 40+ years of nature photography, I'm calling it quits and selling off all my serious gear. I would, however, like to have a pocketable camera for hiking. So something that is a bit wide to short telephoto with some degree of macro would be ideal. I've looked at the Sony RX-100 Mark 7, does anyone have other suggestions? I don't want to go smaller than a 1" sensor.
Thank you
Scott

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:47 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
This is one that a lot of people like a lot:

Sony RX10

Maybe not exactly pocketable, though.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Charlie Woodrich on Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:23 pm
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:This is one that a lot of people like a lot:

Sony RX10

Maybe not exactly pocketable, though.

Joe

My wife has the RX10 M4.  It's extremely versatile (24-600) , and captures some great images.

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:36 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Yes, those are too large. Something along the size of the Rx100 series would be ideal.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:01 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
RX10 is definitely not pocketable. I'd go with one of the RX100's - whichever one's lens you like best.

by DChan on Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:11 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
A camera with phase-detection AF that can fit literally inside your pocket? You already found THE one.

by bradmangas on Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:09 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
Having owned one of the earlier Sony RX models all I can say from my personal point of view is that I am not a fan of Sony compact cameras. From the ergonomics to the menu system Sony P&S cameras are not what I consider a user friendly camera.

If I were to do what you are doing I would probably go with a Panasonic Lumix DC-LX100 II.

I owned a Sony RX V for less than a year have no plans of every buying a Sony camera again.

by Karl Egressy on Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:27 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
I used to own one of the RX100 but was not happy with it.
If I were you I would have a serious look at the Sony RX 10 IV. You can always get a small carrying case and call it a pocket.
A friend of mine had one, sent me some Bird images and I was impressed.
Now his older son has it as a gift form Dad and my friend shoots with a Fuji X-T4.

by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:05 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
I'm definitely not looking for a big camera, I'll have a look around or wait and see if anything new comes out. If there are any brick-and-mortar stores left, I'll see if I can try some out. Sony leaves a lot to be desired on the ergonomic front.

by Jeff Pearl on Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:59 am
Jeff Pearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:02142
I have the Sony RX 100 mark 7 now. It's been working fine so far, but I still edit some of the photos in Topaz. Mark Galer has a nice video about it which convinced me to buy it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9rOUUPWVQI

Before that, I had a Panasonic ZS-70 which gave me more reach - 24-720. camera labs has some reviews on point and shoots you might want to review. https://www.cameralabs.com/panasonic-lumix-tz95-zs80-review/

I've heard that the Sony A7C is a nice compact lightweight camera but not really a pocket camera. If you're ever in Ashburn VA area, which isn't far from Dulles Airport, Ace Photo has a nice well stocked brick and mortar store there. https://acephoto.net/cameras/sony-alpha-7c-mirrorless-digital-camera-with-fe-28-60mm-f-4-5-6-lens-silver-ace63224/

Last edited by Jeff Pearl on Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

by hullyjr on Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:06 am
hullyjr
Forum Contributor
How about Panasonic's DC-LX100 II or Canon's GX5 II? No experience with the former but I've used the Canon for a couple of years and enjoyed using it. I like that it has more telephoto reach that most compacts (or phones), and the ergonomic are typical Canon. On the downside, AF is no better thany 10 years ago and while the colors looks great when exposed correctly, they can turn ugly if pushed.
I have yet to find a compact that does decent macro at the telephoto end. Those macro labels on compacts all tend to be applicable to the widest lens settings which for me just look gimmicky.
Jim Hully
Grayslake, IL
Images now at https://www.flickr.com/photos/138068378@N06/

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:19 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:I'm definitely not looking for a big camera, I'll have a look around or wait and see if anything new comes out. If there are any brick-and-mortar stores left, I'll see if I can try some out. Sony leaves a lot to be desired on the ergonomic front.
I think you will be waiting a long time, maybe forever.  These cameras simply do not sell well anymore and given the semiconductor shortage which will go well into 2023, there's really no point.

by jnadler on Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:51 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
If I get to this point, I would be very happy with just the Iphone 12.  Since a point and shoot would not be used typically for birds and animals but mainly scenics, travel, and people, no need to even have a regular camera for me.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:06 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
jnadler wrote:If I get to this point, I would be very happy with just the Iphone 12.  Since a point and shoot would not be used typically for birds and animals but mainly scenics, travel, and people, no need to even have a regular camera for me.
iPhone 13 (or whatever they call it) is less than 2 weeks away and a significantly upgraded camera is rumored.

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:37 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
jnadler wrote:If I get to this point, I would be very happy with just the Iphone 12.  Since a point and shoot would not be used typically for birds and animals but mainly scenics, travel, and people, no need to even have a regular camera for me.
iPhone 13 (or whatever they call it) is less than 2 weeks away and a significantly upgraded camera is rumored.

I agree, I think I'll just get the next iPhone, I'm sure it'll be perfect for my purposes. However, when I look at the camera ratings at DXO, I'm tempted to get a Huawei or Xiaomi as their phones seem to be leaps and bounds ahead of iPhones. Xiaomi would be the better choice of the two since the restrictions on Huawei phones make them a non-starter.

by jnadler on Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:16 am
jnadler
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:

I actually use the Fuji XT30 as my oversized point and shoot when I do want higher quality scenics. (My R5 is my everything camera)

But again, for casual scenics and people shots, I will be purchasing the Iphone 13 anyways so that will be my third camera option. I will shoot Raw with it when desired.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:15 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
A relevant article:
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2021/0 ... i-learned/

17 posts |