Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:54 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I have a monopod that isn't comfortable to carry over the shoulder.  I googled and youtubed but don't see many options.  That Aquatech wrap looked to be a good option but see it is discontinued.  I prefer the padding type over the one that is shaped to fit over the shoulder.  Why so few options?  I could make one myself (it won't look neat but maybe is functional like warp some foam over and tape it) but I prefer something already made.

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:58 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
This one is available:

Lightware Monopod Pad

It’s not hard to make your own. Armaflex is my preferred padding foam and I use fleece material to cover it. If you can sew, or have someone to sew for you, make a tube by sewing the appropriate size material inside out and then flip it right side out. I make a channel to run an elastic tie at top and bottom. I do that for all my tripods.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by signgrap on Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:11 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
For inexpensive padding you can go to Home Depot and get pipe insulation providing they have a size that fits the large tube of your monopod.
Dick Ludwig

by david fletcher on Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:06 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
signgrap wrote:For inexpensive padding you can go to Home Depot and get pipe insulation providing they have a size that fits the large tube of your monopod.
Thumbs up there.  Also, Steve Perry likes to use them on a car window as a stabiliser when photographing from a car.  

Not mentioned by Steve, but that might be a very useful tool on safari when using a vehicle, rather than bean bag.   Patent sent in...LOL
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:09 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Armaflex, as mentioned above, is available at Home Depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Armaflex-1- ... /100569382

Most other insulation is too rigid. Armaflex is rubbery. A participant in one of my workshops actually introduced me to it and I never looked back.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

Last edited by SantaFeJoe on Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Carol Clarke on Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:12 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
signgrap wrote:For inexpensive padding you can go to Home Depot and get pipe insulation providing they have a size that fits the large tube of your monopod.

Another vote for this!  It works very well.  :) 

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by OntPhoto on Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:35 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will have a look at the home-made solutions. But I so much wanted to just pay AquaTech for one of their ready-made ones. It looks great too. I am not sure why they discontinued it. Late to purchase by a couple of years.

by OntPhoto on Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:38 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:This one is available:

Lightware Monopod Pad

It’s not hard to make your own. Armaflex is my preferred padding foam and I use fleece material to cover it. If you can sew, or have someone to sew for you, make a tube by sewing the appropriate size material inside out and then flip it right side out. I make a channel to run an elastic tie at top and bottom. I do that for all my tripods.

Joe
I will look into that Lightware model in the link.  I will You Tube it to see what it looks like wrapped around the monopod (enough padding etc.)

Last edited by OntPhoto on Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:49 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
It comes in many wall thicknesses and inside diameters. A specialty plumbing and insulation company should be able to get it or stock it. We have a place in Albuquerque that I get special sizes (even sheets) from. Click on the specifications tab on this page:

https://www.armacell.us/products/aparmaflextubes/

You can find a distributor in Ontario on this page:

https://www.armacell.us/contact/find-a-representative/

There are several. Carrier Enterprise Canada in Ottowa (two locations) are sellers.

Joe

by photoman4343 on Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:05 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Another vote for pipe wrap. I get mine at a local Ace Hardware store. If you want it to look like camo, cover the pipe insulation with camo tape.
Joe Smith

by OntPhoto on Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:14 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I think even the Ligtware monopod wrap has been discontinued.  Last sold about a year ago.  This from an Adorama rep.  DIY it is.

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:23 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:I think even the Ligtware monopod wrap has been discontinued.  Last sold about a year ago.  This from an Adorama rep.  DIY it is.
Lightware has it in stock, but only one.

https://lightwareinc.com/product/mp100-monopod-pad/

Phone number is (303)744-0202 in Colorado.

Joe

by OntPhoto on Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:58 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the feedback everyone.  Without any commercial monopod wraps available for sale, I went the cheap DIY route.  Works great although not pretty.  Also, I can't just unwrap it whereas with something like the AquaTech wrap, you can easily take it off.  But duct tape is cheap.  :)

Purchased something called Diono Universal Harness Soft Wraps made to pad seat-belts around the shoulder area.  $7 CAD. Velcroed the pair end to end which wraps around itself for more cushion and then duct taped it in place.  I have tried it in the field and it works.  I still need to try it with a 500 f4 II although I seldom use a monopod with that big lens (mostly tripod or handheld from time to time. 

by Bill Chambers on Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:50 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
I was tired of using the expensive wraps that were too thin & cheap pipe insulation that was also too thin to offer REAL comfort on my shoulder.  I looked around and found some thick insulation and have put it on my Gitzo Series 5 tripod (which has thick legs), my older Bogen Tripod, and on my Monopod.  It works GREAT on each one.  I also used a HEVY DUTY tie wrap at the top & bottom of each piece of insulation to make sure they never move or twist.  I purchased it on Amazon.  Link and picture below.

https://www.amazon.com/Duda-Solar-Nitri ... 891&sr=8-1
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by OntPhoto on Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:50 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:I think even the Ligtware monopod wrap has been discontinued.  Last sold about a year ago.  This from an Adorama rep.  DIY it is.
Lightware has it in stock, but only one.

https://lightwareinc.com/product/mp100-monopod-pad/

Phone number is (303)744-0202 in Colorado.

Joe
I used to order all sorts of things from the USA. I would ship it to a border service and drive across to pick it up.  I can still have it shipped over but shipping costs can be higher than what I prefer.  

The USA border is still closed for land crossings from Canada (for people living in Canada).  However, you can cross over to Canada from the USA with the proper proof of vaccination and a recent test result.  I can't wait for the borders to reopen but have no idea when it will happen especially with the 4th wave starting up in Canada. The 4th wave is a lot more serious in the USA in certain States. I am fully vaccinated.  

15 posts |