« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:22 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I just received the ThinkTank Turnstyle 20 sling bag.  Very happy because it will fit a dslr with battery grip attached.  Contrary to what I had been told, it fits nicely.  This even from a ThinkTank rep.  

I tried 2 setups.  Canon 7D MK 2 and battery grip with 100-400L IS (original model) attached.  Canon 6D and battery grip with Canon 70-200 2.8L IS iii attached.  

Zipper closes nicely with either setup. 

Tried it with 6D and battery grip, 70-200 2.8L IS iii And 1.4x.  Adding the 1.4x increases the length of the overall setup so makes the narrow end of the bag a bit tighter.  Still fits but zipper just slightly more tight but closes without much effort.  Very doable. 

It is always best to try it out for yourself.  I might never had bought the Turnstyle 20 except I had a chance to try one out recently.  It must have had some of the dividers left in or I didn't put the gear in properly because I felt the zippers were a bit harder to close.  Not so when I tried it at home.  I removed all the dividers inside so there is more room.

As to comfort, I will only know once I have used it in the field for awhile.  Of course the heavier the gear, the more of the weight you'll feel on the shoulder strap.

Photos to come.

by OntPhoto on Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:54 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I've used it in the field carrying a 6D and battery grip and 70-200 2.8L IS III (with Wimberley lens foot) and 1.4X III attached.  It fits comfortable inside the bag.

The feel over the shoulder is not as comfortable as a backpack as the sling shoulder strap needs getting used to.  Adjusting the fit of the bag on the back helps.  I will get a strap pad which will make it more comfortable.  I just put one of my ZPacks strap pad on it and it feels a bit better.  

Needs to be field testedGetting iffy results.  I think the strap on the bag was designed to evenly distribute the weight.  Adding a small pad to it may add too much of the weight of the bag on that raised area of the strapBack to just using the plain strap until I can find a more comfortable strap pad.

No photos yet of this setup as I have been very busy.  Maybe by this weekend. 

by OntPhoto on Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:05 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
ThinkTankTurnstyle 20.

Canon 70-200 2.8L IS III + Canon 1.4x III +  Canon 6D with battery grip and Wimberley lens plate.  Fits inside the sling bag comfortably.  Zips up easily.  

I stretched out the opening to show the content inside the bag better.  The back swings easily to the front so you can access the contents inside.  

Sometimes I just leave it in the front position to adjust things like taking off or putting on the 1.4x. When it gets dark, I take off the 1.4x and place into soft lens pouch which fits inside on top of the camera+lens. Great sling bag for $140 from ThinkTank Canada. 

3 posts |