All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Jim Zipp on Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:35 pm
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
I recently picked up a Sony A1 and the 200-600 lens.  Sold my Nikon bodies and long glass but still have some wide angle zooms I plan to sell and buy new Sony versions.  In the meantime, do the adapters work well for strictly landscape shooting?  Would never try it with long glass where I need fast autofocus etc. 
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

by Phil Shaw on Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:07 pm
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
Previous Nikon/Sony adapters have had a poor reputation. There is a newer one though - the MonsterAdapter that the company promises will bring autofocus on Nikon AF-I, AF-S, and AF-P lenses with confirmed operability on a range of Sony cameras (their text, not mine), though I have not seen any rave reviews, or even that it is as yet a commercial product.

I waited and waited for a decent Nikon/Sony adapter but earlier this year, I decided that there was a risk of the secondhand price for the Nikon F mount lenses falling and falling some more, so, reluctantly, I sold all the Nikon lenses and my D850 that I had been holding onto (I loved that camera and especially my 180-400/f4). My advice would be to sell all your Nikon F stuff as soon as possible because it will be a considerable time before they start to acquire value as antiques :).
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:38 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Just sell them and get the Sony or Tamron or Sigma native lenses - they are all very good. Using an adapter is a pain and they are notoriously unreliable with Nikon glass specifically due to most Nikon lenses having an electromechanical aperture mechanism. Only Nikon E lenses use electronic aperture control.

The best price to performance ratio native lenses for Sony are the Tamron 17-28, 28-70, and 70-180 f/2.8 lenses. Super compact, all take the same filter size and exceptional optical performance, and are priced right.

by Jim Zipp on Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:55 pm
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
E.J. Peiker wrote:Just sell them and get the Sony or Tamron or Sigma native lenses - they are all very good.  Using an adapter is a pain and they are notoriously unreliable with Nikon glass specifically due to most Nikon lenses having an electromechanical aperture mechanism.  Only Nikon E lenses use electronic aperture control.

The best price to performance ratio native lenses for Sony are the Tamron 17-28, 28-70, and 70-180 f/2.8 lenses.  Super compact, all take the same filter size and exceptional optical performance, and are priced right.
Thanks Phil and E.J.
E.J., actually the two lenses I have are the Tamron 2.8's that you pointed me to and have been very happy with.  I'll actually planned on just selling them and then occurred to me maybe for fixed subjects the adapter might work but would feel better with the Sony or for Sony lenses.  Thanks,
Jim
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

4 posts |