« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:00 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Hopefully, this will help photographers to get equipment repaired by independent shops:

New Proposal for Right to Repair

Note: This hasn’t happened yet.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by photoman4343 on Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:38 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
As a Nikon shooter, I would like local shops to make repairs. However, there are many issues associated with this matter that have been debated during my 50+ adult years as a businessman and as a consumer. I could argue either For and Against on this matter with equal amounts of passion and facts.

Given that, my gut tells me "keep government out of it." When a consumer makes a purchase choice, it is his responsibility to make sure he gets what he wants. If he wants Apple (or Nikon, etc) stuff with their (restrictive) policies, so be it.
Joe Smith

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:19 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
photoman4343 wrote:As a Nikon shooter, I would like local shops to make repairs. However, there are many issues associated with this matter that have been debated during my 50+ adult years as a businessman and as a consumer.  I could argue either For and Against on this matter with equal amounts of passion and facts.

Given that, my gut tells me "keep government out of it." When a consumer makes a purchase choice, it is his responsibility to make sure he gets what he wants. If he wants Apple (or Nikon, etc) stuff with their (restrictive) policies, so be it.

There's certainly an argument for keeping government out of things, but at some point, you have to ask yourself, "What is the purpose of the government?" Is it to protect and serve the people that elect them, or pursue their own goals?
It drives me nuts when I pay good money for something that is unrepairable in a short period of time. I have an expensive elliptical machine at home that is 7-8 years old, and a part broke and is no longer available. So I have to junk it and buy a new one. I've managed to get a local machinist/welder to repair the part, but it's such a waste of resources to just toss stuff out after a few years. 

by photoman4343 on Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:30 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Scott, I share your pain! I had to throw away an Apple I pad when the lightning port stopped working. Apple told me there was no fix possible, with them or anybody else. My decision was to not buy any more Apple products.
Joe Smith

by Andrew_5488 on Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:36 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
photoman4343 wrote:As a Nikon shooter, I would like local shops to make repairs. However, there are many issues associated with this matter that have been debated during my 50+ adult years as a businessman and as a consumer.  I could argue either For and Against on this matter with equal amounts of passion and facts.

Your gut is wrong.

You don't even make any sense. When you buy a computer or camera you don't have a choice because most if not all
manufacturers have the same approach. Use our inadequate and expensive service or go pound sand.

It's not like I don't like Nikon I can buy Sony because Sony has exactly the same policy.

by Rocky Sharwell on Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:51 am
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
photoman4343 wrote:Scott, I share your pain!  I had to throw away an Apple I pad when the lightning port stopped working. Apple told me there was no fix possible, with them or anybody else. My decision was to not buy any more Apple products.
Have heard this before from Apple but ignored it and found an independent repair place
Rocky Sharwell

by Scotty on Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:16 pm
Scotty
Forum Contributor
My experience mirrors many of the others.  Wildfire burned down our house along with 66 others homes in 2012.  Got a brand new KitchenAid refrigerator in 2013 (paid around $1,800) and last summer the fridge portion would only cool to around 50 F (freezer was fine).  After spending about 3 weeks with various repairmen (basically they thought fan was just frozen up) finally came to conclusion that the mother board was fried. Come to find out that Kitchenaid no longer makes the board. Fridge was hauled to the dump, incredible waste of resources. Hell, if I would of bought the extended warranty, it was only for three years, so glad I didn't suck in for that. Now have a LG but no faith in it either.
http://www.ecotonephoto.com

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:28 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
More news:

https://petapixel.com/2021/07/21/ftc-ap ... -movement/

https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/docume ... tement.pdf

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:30 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Scotty wrote:My experience mirrors many of the others.  Wildfire burned down our house along with 66 others homes in 2012.  Got a brand new KitchenAid refrigerator in 2013 (paid around $1,800) and last summer the fridge portion would only cool to around 50 F (freezer was fine).  After spending about 3 weeks with various repairmen (basically they thought fan was just frozen up) finally came to conclusion that the mother board was fried. Come to find out that Kitchenaid no longer makes the board. Fridge was hauled to the dump, incredible waste of resources. Hell, if I would of bought the extended warranty, it was only for three years, so glad I didn't suck in for that. Now have a LG but no faith in it either.
Same situation here with a KitcheAid - board fried, no longer made.  Fortunately my repair guy was able to find a used one on eBay for $700!!!!  So far so good, that was about 5 years ago but I hold my breath everyday especially in these 110 degree plus summer months.

by Langsey on Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:41 am
Langsey
Forum Contributor
If it is repairable, it may take awhile to get the parts. I have a Whirlpool clothes washer that needed repair (not the control board). It took 3months to get the part. Luckily it was still working. It was on its last legs. The washer was about 4-5 years old.
John Langsenkamp
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm]NSN 0077[/url]

10 posts |