All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Ed Cordes on Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:05 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Last night Gail and I were on our deck enjoying the warm evening well after dark.  As we were going in I decided to see just what modern tech could do for us photogs.  The attached shot was made Hand Held with my R5 and RF 100-500 @ 100 in crop mode.  Only light was from the low voltage yard lights. The shutter speed was 1 sec, F 4.5 and are you ready for this - ISO 51,200 - Yes over fifty one thousand ISO.  I used Topaz DeNoise to smooth it out.  So, if there were an interesting critter in our yard after dark I could at least get a shot of it if there were any light at all.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:42 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
What amazes me most is not the quality of the image or high ISO but, rather, one second handheld!!,

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by DChan on Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:54 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Would like to see the full-size raw file.

Looks to me it's over-exposed. More likely so if you were shooting auto is my guess.

by Ed Cordes on Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:54 am
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
DChan wrote:Would like to see the full-size raw file.

Looks to me it's over-exposed. More likely so if you were shooting auto is my guess.
Npt shooting auto but Av with +2/3 EV.  Only took one shot to just see what would happen. I wasn't even serious about getting it right. Like I said just playing.  While the foreground is a bit bright due to the yardlight the background has more detail than I expected.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by Scott Fairbairn on Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:17 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Yes, it is amazing what digital cameras have allowed us to do, I still remember using ISO 50 or 100 film with 600f4, 1.4x and extension tubes. I used to pray for the sun to give me enough light to photograph birds, now I'd rather there was no sun. lol

by OntPhoto on Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:20 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
The resized image looks good for ISO 51,200. I don't know how much the light helped. I have taken a few images at ISO 51,200 (Hi 2 on the 7D MK2) in darkness with no lights. I too expose to the right in such situations.

While I can't do an exposure at 1 second, I can handhold it at a slow enough shutter speed with the 70-200 2.8L IS III. I would also like to see a portion of the full-sized raw. Just to see but the resized image looks really good. But the lights, not sure how much it helped. What was the ambient light at the time (there is some brightness in the back, not sure what that is).

by OntPhoto on Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:12 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Since I recently started to use the Canon 6D (version 1) which I hear is comparable to the R6 for low-light high-ISO, ISO 51,200 on the 6D is very good.  Impressively good.  MUCH better then the 7D MK2 (duh).  

With the 7D MK2, I did have to play around with an image to hide the noise at ISO 51,200.  Not too much with the 6D.  With the image posted above, the 6D can handle very well with same results, I'm sure.

7 posts |