All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Karl Egressy on Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:03 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
It might be a silly question but I ask it anyway.
Due to the slowness of post processing of my computer (few years old) I elected using my Sony a7R4 in crop mode most of the time.
Does it make any difference?
I think that it shouldn't since I crop the image in the camera instead of during PP. but I might be wrong and miss something.
Thanks,
Karl

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:07 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
File sizes are smaller in crop mode, so should be much faster than cropping FF in post. The cropped image from FF would process the same as in camera crop, though. On the following link, you can see the file sizes for FF and APS-C crop.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-7rm4/specifications#specifications

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by jwild on Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:32 am
jwild
Forum Contributor
It certainly has some advantages, when you use your camera in crop mode, but if you use it all the times, then you may be under utilising your expensive camera equipment !

by Karl Egressy on Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:19 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the comments. I still don't have an answer if cropping the picture in the camera versus cropping it in PP. makes a difference in terms of image quality. I believe it doesn't. I would like to se a confirmation or rejection of this special issue. My logic says that cropping won't effect the quality as I use the same sensor, hence same quality. Am I wrong? Please explain. Thanks.

by Scott Fairbairn on Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:34 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Karl, if you stand 20' from your subject and shoot full-frame, then take another shot in crop mode and crop the FF image to match, there should be no difference. Now if you fill the frame with your subject shooting in full-frame mode, and then back up and do the same in crop mode, you will notice a difference.

by Lensmaster on Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:33 pm
Lensmaster
Forum Contributor
For birding I use the full frame even though I will be cropping as it gives more view to keep the bird in the frame for BIF shots.
Rob.

by KK Hui on Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:31 pm
KK Hui
Member #:00536
Don't we all know this ...
https://fstoppers.com/originals/should- ... sor-490862

Steve Perry‘s verdict? Use a full frame camera until it’s clear that you’ll be cropping quite a bit of the image. Of course, many of us can only afford one or the other. If that’s true for you, it’ll come down to what you’re using the camera for and your budget. For example, if you’re a landscape photographer using a wide angle lens, a full frame would be the way to go. But if you’re needing a longer throw—something that’s likely to need a telephoto lens—it’s better to go with the crop sensor body.

In the end, you’ll need to assess what size frame you usually shoot, and then balance performance and the amount of detail captured with what you can afford.
KK Hui  FRPS
Fellow of The Royal Photographic Society
Personal Website | Portfolio @ Flickr

Lifetime Member NSN 0536

by Karl Egressy on Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:48 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Lensmaster wrote:For birding I use the full frame even though I will be cropping  as it gives more view to keep the bird in the frame for BIF shots.
Rob.

Thanks Rob. I do the same for BIF.

by Karl Egressy on Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:50 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:Karl, if you stand 20' from your subject and shoot full-frame, then take another shot in crop mode and crop the FF image to match, there should be no difference. Now if you fill the frame with your subject shooting in full-frame mode, and then back up and do the same in crop mode, you will notice a difference.
Thanks Scott. It makes sense.

9 posts |