Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
by Wildflower-nut on Sat May 29, 2021 11:33 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I've been using the black rapid system to carry my 100-400 mounted on a canon body.  I've also used their system to carry two bodies with the 24-105 and 100-400.  On a recent trip I was introduced to the RRS strap system.  What seems the best these days?  Suggestions of what I should be looking at?

by SantaFeJoe on Sat May 29, 2021 1:30 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I like this one, but it is a bit pricey. I have found mine on Craigslist and other places cheap.

https://store.naturescapes.net/spider-c ... system-v2/

It is super solid, secure and strong.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by ricardo00 on Sat May 29, 2021 2:29 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
Wildflower-nut wrote:I've been using the black rapid system to carry my 100-400 mounted on a canon body.  I've also used their system to carry two bodies with the 24-105 and 100-400.  On a recent trip I was introduced to the RRS strap system.  What seems the best these days?  Suggestions of what I should be looking at?

There are quite a few systems these days so the first question is, do you prefer having it held on your chest, slung over your shoulder or hanging on your hips?  Personally I still prefer it slung over the shoulder to be ready to shoot though for people who are more active (ie. getting in and out of a kayak, climbing up hills, going through tight spaces, etc), I can see a big advantage to having it tightly strapped to ones chest like with a Cotton Carrier system (or in a backpack).
PS.  I also still use the Black Rapid strap so will be interested to hear other's recommendations as well.

by Stephen Feingold on Sat May 29, 2021 3:29 pm
Stephen Feingold
Forum Contributor
I use both a Black Rapid shoulder belt and a Spider holster to carry two bodies with lenses, or use the holster for an extra lens or body with Arca plate.
If carrying only one rig, I may chose either the belt or holster depending upon what part of myself hurts less.

by photoman4343 on Sun May 30, 2021 10:14 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I use Black Rapid Straps for my cameras and lenses with arch swiss L brackets or lens plates. I attach a mini Arca Swiss quick release clamp to the Black Rapid strap and then attach the QR clamp to the lens plate or L bracket.

For cameras without such plates or brackets I use the Peak Design camera strap, widest size, I like the way the strap can be removed when not needed and then easily attached when needed. I attach the connectors to the strap lugs built into the camera body. Check out their product line on their web site. They make high quality stuff.

I prefer to use the straps across my body to relieve any stress on my neck and back.

I use the straps in my car to make sure the camera/lens does not fall off the car seat when driving.
Joe Smith

by Wildflower-nut on Mon May 31, 2021 10:13 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
ricardo00 wrote:
Wildflower-nut wrote:I've been using the black rapid system to carry my 100-400 mounted on a canon body.  I've also used their system to carry two bodies with the 24-105 and 100-400.  On a recent trip I was introduced to the RRS strap system.  What seems the best these days?  Suggestions of what I should be looking at?

There are quite a few systems these days so the first question is, do you prefer having it held on your chest, slung over your shoulder or hanging on your hips?  Personally I still prefer it slung over the shoulder to be ready to shoot though for people who are more active (ie. getting in and out of a kayak, climbing up hills, going through tight spaces, etc), I can see a big advantage to having it tightly strapped to ones chest like with a Cotton Carrier system (or in a backpack).
PS.  I also still use the Black Rapid strap so will be interested to hear other's recommendations as well.

I prefer over the shoulder.  I also have think tank straps that attach to their backpacks shoulder straps in the front which I've used in places like Antarctica where I'm on foot and a long way from support (car or boat) for an extended period.  The long lens in on a tripod and second camera hanging off thinktank straps.  Camera is held center to chest for rapid use.  Backpack holds a few accessories I might need as well as food water clothes.

I've got a cotton carrier recommended by a tour leader but have not used it.  Great for wading but holds camera no higher than thinktank system described above.  Big difference cotton carrier holds tight to chest whereas thinktank free to swing a little.

If I don't need the pack, I prefer over the shoulder hence the black rapid.  Have both the two camera system and the one camera system.  the two camera didn't work too well for me if you only had one camera hanging from it.  Really needs the second to counter balance.  Also like black rapid shoulder pads. 

For my short lens I use a tamrac strap that is not longer made with quick releases.  Can go over neck and hang in front of chest.  Can also go over shoulder to the side but strap a little short for that.  Mostly a function of weight and how far I'm going.

by Gary Irwin on Mon May 31, 2021 11:15 am
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
I don't know what's best, but I use Peak Design's wide strap tied to an arca-swiss saddle plate that I attach to the lens foot of my 200-600 & a1. Works well.
Gary Likes Nature.

by Wildflower-nut on Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:37 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Gary Irwin wrote:I don't know what's best, but I use Peak Design's wide strap tied to an arca-swiss saddle plate that I attach to the lens foot of my 200-600 & a1. Works well.

I assume the peak designs wide strap is what they call the slide.  not sure what an arca swiss saddle plate is.

by photoman4343 on Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:33 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Yes, the widest strap is called the Slide. I believe the Arca Swis saddle plate is a combination of the anchor mount and the standard plate. See links and video link below.

I would contact the company wth any questions about how to attach/use arca swiss stuff.

https://www.peakdesign.com/products/slide

https://support.peakdesign.com/hc/en-us ... -Setup-Use

https://www.peakdesign.com/products/anchor-mount

https://www.peakdesign.com/products/standard-plate-v3
Joe Smith

by Ed Cordes on Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:48 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Obviously a personal choice based on use and preference. When I use a strap I use Black Rapid and have for several years. However, lately I have been using no strap at all except when safety of equipment is crucial or I am hiking a distance. When shooting locally, or mostly from a car I forego any strap.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:08 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
I've used all kinds of Black Rapids from the beginning, I think. But my favorite is the "Women's" design. I don't know why it has to be just for women-it's REALLY comfortable. It doesn't slide around as much as the other straps, imho.

https://www.blackrapid.com/nicole-ellio ... lackrapid/

I am curious though, about the Peak design slides. One advantage I see, is a 2 point hold instead of Black Rapid one point. (I use the bottom lug that goes in the tripod mount.)

Questions with the Peak Design:

Do those little anchor connectors flop around and slap/make noise on the camera when not in use?
Do they ever get accidentally disconnected?

Black Rapid has a clip that is very secure though it takes a moment to screw it together and put on the safety clip.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Wildflower-nut on Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:43 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:I've used all kinds of Black Rapids from the beginning, I think. But my favorite is the "Women's" design. I don't know why it has to be just for women-it's REALLY comfortable. It doesn't slide around as much as the other straps, imho.

https://www.blackrapid.com/nicole-ellio ... lackrapid/

I am curious though, about the Peak design slides. One advantage I see, is a 2 point hold instead of Black Rapid one point. (I use the bottom lug that goes in the tripod mount.)

Questions with the Peak Design:

Do those little anchor connectors flop around and slap/make noise on the camera when not in use?

Black Rapid has a clip that is very secure though it takes a moment to screw it together and put on the safety clip.

I'm like you.  I'm not sure what makes this for women.

by Mark L on Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:44 pm
Mark L
Forum Contributor
I use the Peak Design strap.  The little connectors do not make noise or otherwise bother me, bang on the camera when the strap is not connected (much of the time for me).  I have never had the connectors come off, get lost, etc.  You can put the quick connectors onto whatever part of the camera you wish (I have one on the left side camera lug and one on the slot in my RRS L plate at the bottom of the right side of the camera below the handgrip).  

by Gary Irwin on Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:54 pm
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
Wildflower-nut wrote:
Gary Irwin wrote:I don't know what's best, but I use Peak Design's wide strap tied to an arca-swiss saddle plate that I attach to the lens foot of my 200-600 & a1. Works well.

I assume the peak designs wide strap is what they call the slide.  not sure what an arca swiss saddle plate is.
I use the DC-38Q because it allows you to slide the saddle plate along an arca-swiss compatible foot to the ideal balance point.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1153080-REG/desmond_dac_38_quick_release_clamp.html

If you have a lens foot with an integrated quick release that's also an option (my Kirk replacement foot for the Sony 200-600G supports this quick-release) but it can't be adjusted for balance which is critical to me so I don't use this option.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1404104-REG/really_right_stuff_qd_strap_swivel_d_loop_qd_strap_swivel_d.html
Gary Likes Nature.

by Gary Irwin on Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:58 pm
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Questions with the Peak Design:

The Peak Design connector lanyards are stiff, covered in a waxy nylon sheath and do not flop around.
Because of that they tend to stay in place.
Gary Likes Nature.

15 posts |