« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Bill Chambers on Sun May 09, 2021 11:34 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
I was shooting this morning with the GFX50S and experienced several camera failures.  I searched on the internet for any reports of similar failures but saw none, so I'm hoping someone here may have some info or has heard some news about such failures.

Shooting conditions:  Temps in the 60's, low humidity (for Florida), dry.

AFTER FIRST FAILURE, I REMOVED BATTERY AND INSTALLED FRESH BATTERY.  AFTER SECOND FAILURE, I AGAIN SWITCHED TO ANOTHER FRESH BATTERY AND REPLACED BOTH CARDS AS WELL, JUST TO BE SURE THEY WERE NOT CAUSING THE ISSUES.  All batteries were Fuji batteries, all cards were Lexar 64GB Pro 1667x UHS-II SDXC cards. Max speeds for these cards are 250 read/120 write.  All shots were taken using mechanical shutter.  Camera has latest firmware update, version 4.2.

Shooting in Manual mode, after the first failure, I tried many different combinations in ISO, shutter speeds, apertures, metering modes, but failures continued.  Failures were intermittent, which can drive you crazy.

Failures:
1st - I was using AE Bracketing (9 shot bracket) and camera froze on image # 7 with shutter open.  Tried to cancel exposure, no joy.  Tried to cut camera off, no joy.  Finally took battery out to shut camera off.

2nd - Tried same scenario again, failed again, this time on image # 6.  Both failures occurred during longer exposures.  Had to take battery out to shut off camera again.

Tried again and and camera worked ok, 9 shot bracket occurred with no issue.

Different composition:
Using Focus bracketing, camera froze between image 11&12 of a 17 image bracket.  Again, required battery removal to shut camera off.

Used Focus bracketing twice more with no issues, then it failed again during 4th effort.

Switched in Still Image (Single image shutter activation) - suffered no failures using this mode.  Used this mode for most of the morning after the previous mode failures, but did switch back to Focus Bracketing twice more, with on failure.

Obviously, I will be contacting Fuji as camera is just 4/5 months old and only has 5-6,000 activations but I was also hoping someone here  might have some information as well.

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: I talked with Steve S. at Fuji Pro Support this morning.  He wants me to run some tests using 9 shot exposure bracketing.  He is wondering if the buffer is filling up and freezing things.  I don't believe this is the case because 1) my cards meet the Fuji compatibility charts without a problem, and 2) the camera freezes completely and doesn't allow the cancellation of the bracketing process or shutting down the camera.  I waited over a minute during one failure and the buffer certainly should have emptied during that time.  Nevertheless, I will run the tests he requested just to be sure. 
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Kerry on Mon May 10, 2021 3:02 pm
Kerry
Forum Contributor
Bill:

No idea what the problem is as I have no personal experience with any of the Fuji cameras, but I'm wondering if you tried running any test sets using the electronic shutter to see if you could routinely and reliably complete a set of frames that way.

by Bill Chambers on Mon May 10, 2021 3:04 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Kerry wrote:Bill:

No idea what the problem is as I have no personal experience with any of the Fuji cameras, but I'm wondering if you tried running any test sets using the electronic shutter to see if you could routinely and reliably complete a set of frames that way.
Hi Kerry.  No, I didn't think to do that yesterday, but that's a good idea.  I'll include that in the bracketing tests and let you know.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Tue May 11, 2021 6:04 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It may be a shutter issue. Put the camera in electronic shutter mode and see if it still happens to help diagnose...

by Bill Chambers on Tue May 11, 2021 9:23 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:It may be a shutter issue.  Put the camera in electronic shutter mode and see if it still happens to help diagnose...
Will do.  Thanks!
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

5 posts |