Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Wildflower-nut on Fri May 07, 2021 10:24 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Any suggestions for a ball head for light weight short lenses on light tripod?  general purpose?  I used to use an arca z1 for heavy stuff (preferred the Markins q20 as it was lighter) although now for big super telephoto lenses I use an unique ball or 4th generation gimble.  I feel like it is a sacrilege to say so but I confess I don't the RRS heads.

by Anthony Medici on Fri May 07, 2021 11:38 am
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
I use the smaller Unique ball head for both the heavy and the light tripods. A small right angle clamp/rail combination or a square camera plate solves the direction issue with my older Unique head. That's not needed with the current 35XC.
Tony

by E.J. Peiker on Tue May 11, 2021 6:06 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
In order to help, it would be beneficial to know what on the RRS heads you don't like so that I don't recommend one that has the same issue...

by Wildflower-nut on Tue May 11, 2021 9:50 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:In order to help, it would be beneficial to know what on the RRS heads you don't like so that I don't recommend one that has the same issue...
I've had b-55 and b-40.  I'd have to look but I think I've had a b-30.  The big problem for me is that you really have to crank to lock compared to arca swiss, markins, or kirk (I've had them all).  I had a first model acratech too, a linhoff, etc... many years ago.  Pretty much you name it I've had it among the older models.  It looks like I can still get markins but have to order directly from Korea. 

I've got both sizes of unique ball but have not really used the small one.  The large one has served well on trips where I need to travel light with a super telephoto and is my go to head for that.  I didn't mind the fact that it could tip down if you didn't balance the equipment correctly (now "corrected" by spring).  Of course I remember before gimbals where we used a large gitzo pan head for this and it too had to be balanced right.  I never had the base plate fall out of a gitzo interpro studex because I failed to tighten it either but that too has been "fixed".  I've no problems with unique ball other than the cross clamp coming apart.  I carry a spare now.  I used to have to carry a spare knob for the original Arca swiss ball head that was plastic after breaking one in Denali.  I like it better than the flexshooter pro although having the ball lock not under the lens is a big plus.  Really don't know why may be just in my mind. 

by E.J. Peiker on Tue May 11, 2021 11:09 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It seems like you are pretty familiar then with many of the brands.  Something to consider is something like the Benro G2.  Another one that seems to be highly rated but I've never used is the Vanguard Alta BH-300.  FLM and Induro are others to consider and are generally very good.

by MargaretC on Tue May 11, 2021 12:42 pm
MargaretC
Forum Contributor
Wildflower-nut wrote:Any suggestions for a ball head for light weight short lenses on light tripod?  general purpose?  I used to use an arca z1 for heavy stuff (preferred the Markins q20 as it was lighter) although now for big super telephoto lenses I use an unique ball or 4th generation gimble.  I feel like it is a sacrilege to say so but I confess I don't the RRS heads.
I have always shied away from RRS ball heads because of their weight, though my husband has had some issues with his Markins head (10i).
Mine has been pretty trouble free, but I noticed that they aren't easy to get anymore...

Have you looked into FLM, ProMediaGear (heavy, though), or Colorado Tripod Company?  I would be tempted to try one of the FLM heads, as they seem to have a good weight rating and are also pretty light. I like lever clamps, which may also be an issue.

by Wildflower-nut on Wed May 12, 2021 10:57 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
The only problem I've had with Markins is their locking up in cold weather (below to well below freezing). There website speaks of the problem and suggested wiping ball with WD-40. Works like a charm. Still in winter, I lean towards arca z1. The big advantage of the Markins is weight.

Thanks for the suggestions. I need to look at these newer brands.

7 posts |