All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by Rhett on Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:48 pm
Rhett
Lifetime Member
Member #:01389
Can someone recommend a new gimbal head?  I've been using a Wimberley vII for years, but I'm hoping to find something lighter.  I saw the fluid head thread, and heard some mention of the Gitzo, but I'm curious as to what else is available.  I need it to support up to an 800 with a Pro Body.  

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:38 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
A lot of people really like the Mongoose 4th generation M-3.6.1 because of its’ light weight and construction. It does have some play when used with an 800mm lens, but with VR/IS it’s probably not as much of an issue as some may think. There are a few people I have read about that love it with an 800mm lens, but YMMV. The weight savings is incredible, as is the cost!!! Here’s an old thread:

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=205304

The low mount arm is probably good to have, as well.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:43 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Also take a look at the UniqBall - while a ball head, it operates like a gimbal head in that it does not allow side to side flop but allows full freedom up and down and side to side rotation. It's what many of us use these days for a highly stable solution that is much lighter and packs much smaller than a true gimbal head. Absolutely no problem with an 800 on the larger version of this head.

by ivan rothman on Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:52 am
ivan rothman
Forum Contributor
UniqBall is good but even better is the new Flexshooter Pro head.  It works the same way as the UniqBall but with new spring balance design it is better.  In fact, I feel it is as good if not better than my Wimberley.  It is a ball within a ball allowing it to be a ball head or a gimbal head.  It acts as a leveling base.  It weighs only 1.6 pounds.  It works beautifully with my 600mm f4.  Now comes with option of a lever release rather than a screw to lock lens plate.   Also has option of using an accessory called the Twin Shooter which allows attachment of 2 camera/lens combinations which still functions very well as gimbal head and allows switching back and forth from long lens to more intermediate lens, or having one camera set to video.  

by EGrav on Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:37 am
EGrav
Forum Contributor
Flexshooter Pro is definitely better than the Uniqball.
I will be selling my gimbal and ballhead now.

Last edited by EGrav on Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:12 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
I have the flexshooter pro and use it instead of a gimbal now.

by Steve Metildi on Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:41 pm
Steve Metildi
Lifetime Member
Member #:00266
Another vote for the Flexshooter Pro that is sold on NSN.  Since I got one last summer I haven’t used my Wimberley and have since sold two RRS ballheads and a Mongoose head.  It easily has supported a 800mm f/5.6 and 600mm f/4.  The Flexshooter is great for travel as you will only need to pack one head versus a gimbal and a ballhead. 

Steve

Last edited by Steve Metildi on Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by rajandesai on Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:44 am
rajandesai
Forum Contributor
Member #:01263
I got my FlexShooter Pro more than a year ago from the developer directly and haven't touched Wimberley since. I love it.
It is good to see that it is now easily available here.

by OntPhoto on Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:53 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
What are the advantages of the FlexShooter Pro over the traditional Wimberley WH200 cradle mount? Is it mostly just weight? I use the SideKick.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:22 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
OntPhoto wrote:What are the advantages of the FlexShooter Pro over the traditional Wimberley WH200 cradle mount?  Is it mostly just weight?  I use the SideKick.
also packing size

by OntPhoto on Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:32 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:What are the advantages of the FlexShooter Pro over the traditional Wimberley WH200 cradle mount?  Is it mostly just weight?  I use the SideKick.
also packing size
Yes, that has always been an issue with the full-sized WH200 and many switched to the SideKick for travel.  A lot of competitors since then.  Will have to give the FlexShooter Pro a try

by ivan rothman on Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:58 pm
ivan rothman
Forum Contributor
Advantage of the FlexShooter Pro is not just size and weight, although that is one big advantage. FlexShooter is 1.6 lbs vs over 3 lbs for the Wimberley. And you also don't need a leveling base for the FlexShooter which helps even more with weight.
But also the FlexShooter is a perfectly good ball head as well as a gimbal head so that you don't need to bring a 2nd head for wide angle shooting.
And finally, I love the Twin Shooter adapter for the FlexShooter, which lets me mount 2 cameras both pointing at the same subject - so I'll be going back and forth between my 600mm and my 80-400mm depending on size of subject and when I want to do whole body or head shots. Or I'll have one camera set up for video.

by mlgray12 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:02 pm
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Member #:01023
ivan rothman wrote:UniqBall is good but even better is the new Flexshooter Pro head.  It works the same way as the UniqBall but with new spring balance design it is better.  In fact, I feel it is as good if not better than my Wimberley.  It is a ball within a ball allowing it to be a ball head or a gimbal head.  It acts as a leveling base.  It weighs only 1.6 pounds.  It works beautifully with my 600mm f4.  Now comes with option of a lever release rather than a screw to lock lens plate.   Also has option of using an accessory called the Twin Shooter which allows attachment of 2 camera/lens combinations which still functions very well as gimbal head and allows switching back and forth from long lens to more intermediate lens, or having one camera set to video.  
Ivan put me on to the Flexshooter Pro while in Canada while shooting at Greg and Alan's Loon WS. It was really good even with my old 400mm f/2.8 - but now I  have ditched my 400mm f/2.8 and 600mm f/4 and my old Wimberly gimbal not even a good head for my  500mm f/5.6 PF that replaced all my old big glass plus it works for all my shorter lens as well as mounting camera. Lightened up tripod, head and even ditched my D850's for lighter D7. Z-lens also tend to be lighter and better than their f-mount brothers
Michael L. Gray
Wildlife and Conservation Bum

13 posts |