All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:16 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
As we start to travel again, finding solutions to common travel issues is always a good thing.  If you are one of those people that always find travel tripods too short or hate extending the center column, here's something that can help a lot.  Leofoto makes the Leofoto TFS Tripod Replacement Foot Spikes.  These are three inch long spikes that screw into any tripod leg that has the capability of taking off the feet or come with short spikes.  What is unique about these is that they come with rubber feet as well so you have the benefit of spikes or traditional rubber feet while extending the height of your tripod by about 3 inches.  This can often be the difference between a comfortable shooting height or having to crouch down.  It can be the difference between needing to extend the center column or not.

I discovered them in a YouTube video from Hudson Henry recently and they look like a solution to my problems with most travel tripods.  Since they easily screw on or off, they also do not make the packing length of your tripod any longer.  The only caveat is that in carry on luggage, there is the potential of 3" spikes causing some issues at security so it may be prudent to pack them in your checked luggage, not your carry on.  Note that I have no affiliation with Leofoto - just thought some might find this useful in future travels.

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:23 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Note: Not all tripods have the same threads on the bottom tube. I have tried some that came with one tripod on another brand and they did not fit. Maybe LeoPhoto makes them in different thread sizes. This page says they are 3/8” UNC thread.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Gary Irwin on Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:59 am
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
I use these spikes on my Innorel RT90C tripod for video work. They are top-quality and highly recommended. I'm finding spikes to be essential for stability if you're often setting up on soft surfaces.
Gary Likes Nature.

by DavidSutton on Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:16 pm
DavidSutton
Forum Contributor
You could also try looping a bungee cord around your foot and a hook screwed into the base of the centre column. I've found it allows the centre column to be extended some 4 to 5 inches without flexing. Wouldn't want to try it with video though as you are now literally tied to one position behind the camera.
David Sutton

4 posts |