Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Wildflower-nut on Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:24 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
How are people tagging their files with location. Seems like we stepped back by not having a GPS in the camera as we did with the 5Div. Personally, I'd given up 8k for a GPS.

GPS log or direct connect from iPhone
GPS using canon expensive GPS attachment in hot shoe
GPS using an external GPS device to create a log

In what was the old days and looks like it will become the current days, I used a Sony GPS and matched them up in downloader pro. It is something I've not had to do since the 5Div came out.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:39 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Fixed your post to eliminate the visible HTML tags created by cutting and pasting HTML formatted text ;)

by Wildflower-nut on Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:31 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Fixed your post to eliminate the visible HTML tags created by cutting and pasting HTML formatted text ;)
Thanks.  Didn't realize it.  I'll remember it in the future.

Still have not been able to get a discussion going or any comments on this topic.  Don't like the idea of using the iPhone and draining its battery.  Not big on canon's GPS attachment (out of stock anyway) at $250.  I hate to go back to using a separate GPS device to create a log and then using software to match them up.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:17 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I think your only semi-automated option is to have your phone linked to your camera wirelessly unless you have the costly add-on module. It's mind boggling how much camera manufacturers charge for GPS modules. The actual GPS chip and antenna cost them about $5.

by Wildflower-nut on Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:59 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:I think your only semi-automated option is to have your phone linked to your camera wirelessly unless you have the costly add-on module.  It's mind boggling how much camera manufacturers charge for GPS modules.  The actual GPS chip and antenna cost them about $5.

I've concluded that you are right.  Some people have reported unreliability with the canon app so that will be a try and see.  Also I have to remember to turn it on and off to preserve the battery as well as make sure photos are tagged.   Canon's GPS module is out of stock and $$$.

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:05 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Wildflower-nut wrote: ....... Don't like the idea of using the iPhone and draining its battery.........
It’s easy enough to carry an external power pack for your phone. Many different capacity batteries are available and don’t cost much. This is just one example:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/energizer-max-5000mah-ultra-slim-high-speed-universal-portable-charger-for-apple-android-google-samsung-usb-enabled-devices-gray/6412337.p?skuId=6412337

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

6 posts |