All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 19 posts | 
by George DeCamp on Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:53 am
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00147
Not much info just a teaser, seems to be their new thing.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/z9iscoming.page

Due this fall.

by George DeCamp on Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:56 am
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
https://www.nikonusa.com/en/about-nikon ... ement.html

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:16 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Fixed the link in the original post as that one was specific to you from an email ;)

Not much info other than that it will do 8K video.  I do wonder why they would make it a D6 style body and not substantially smaller?  I realize that there is a note that says that the final camera may look different but this certainly suggests it will be a behemoth compared to pretty much all other mirrorless cameras.

by Brian K. on Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:15 am
Brian K.
Lifetime Member
Member #:00115
E.J. Peiker wrote:Fixed the link in the original post as that one was specific to you from an email ;)

Not much info other than that it will do 8K video.  I do wonder why they would make it a D6 style body and not substantially smaller?  I realize that there is a note that says that the final camera may look different but this certainly suggests it will be a behemoth compared to pretty much all other mirrorless cameras.
They will probably use the added bulk as a heat sink. :)
[b]Brian D. Kennedy[/b]
[b]NSN 0115[/b]
http://www.bdkennedy.com

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:16 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
It does say it will have a new sensor and image processor.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:10 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
SantaFeJoe wrote:It does say it will have a new sensor and image processor.

Joe
Speculation would be to follow history which would mean the Sony 50mp BSI, stacked sensor that's in the a1 but with a Nikon specific color array...

But I'm guessing that they would want to keep sensor specs under wraps for now with the EOS R1 likely also coming in the same timeframe.  Don't want to tip your hand too much.

If the Tokyo Olympics do happen, we'll have a pretty good idea then what's coming as bit Canon's and Nikon's flagship will be in disguise in the hands of some of the photographers.  It seems to me though that both companies would want to actually release, in limited quantities, to the sports press pool, this camera prior to the Olympics...

by George DeCamp on Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:51 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:Fixed the link in the original post as that one was specific to you from an email ;)

Doh.....thanks E.J.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:10 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Interesting, in the days before mass social media, this thread would have spanned 3 pages and had several dozens of comments by now...

by Dan Kearl on Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:43 am
Dan Kearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:22021
I will be interested in the Prosumer model to follow for less money... I do think Nikon will have a winner.
I think chasing camera brands is mostly for fanatics and people with money. The people who think that Sony was
never going to be challenged and sold all there stuff to switch will be unhappy until Sony makes an even better camera which they will but in the meantime, Nikon shooters who stayed and have the 500pf will be very happy. I think lens are important and Nikon has always had a decent range of nice lens which is why I have stuck and the differences between the major brands are really minor in the long run....

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:11 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Dan Kearl wrote:Nikon shooters who stayed and have the 500pf will be very happy. I think lens are important and Nikon has always had a decent range of nice lens which is why I have stuck and the differences between the major brands are really minor in the long run....
The 500PF and all other legacy F-mount Nikon lenses will need to be mounted with an adapter which reduces their AF performance.  Super telephoto lenses suffer the most from this and the 500PF does not have the dual linear motors needed with a mirrorless system to maintain DSLR like AF performance.  It may still perform perfectly adequately but it is not the ideal set-up for fast action.  On the other hand, AF accuracy once it is truly focused is higher since AF is done on sensor rather than off sensor negating the need for focus calibrating a lens to a body for optimal focus.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:26 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Interesting, in the days before mass social media, this thread would have spanned 3 pages and had several dozens of comments by now...
This article kind of sums it up:

https://fstoppers.com/gear/nikon-z-9-announcement-shows-whats-wrong-camera-gear-marketing-554018

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:11 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Interesting, in the days before mass social media, this thread would have spanned 3 pages and had several dozens of comments by now...
This article kind of sums it up:

https://fstoppers.com/gear/nikon-z-9-announcement-shows-whats-wrong-camera-gear-marketing-554018

Joe
Exactly, it's a nothing announcement about nothing.  Everybody already knew that there will be a higher end camera one day.  I think Sony does a better job at this basically saying nothing until something like an a1 that nobody was expecting hits us in the head.  It's purely a move to try to curb the huge exodus from Nikon that's happening right now to cameras like the a1 and R5, and an incredibly poorly executed one at that.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:30 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:...... I think Sony does a better job at this basically saying nothing until something like an a1 that nobody was expecting hits us in the head. .......
Sony is not entirely innocent:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/0893220010/sony-confirms-a7s-iii-launch-event-will-take-place-on-july-28

Joe

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:41 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:...... I think Sony does a better job at this basically saying nothing until something like an a1 that nobody was expecting hits us in the head. .......
Sony is not entirely innocent:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/0893220010/sony-confirms-a7s-iii-launch-event-will-take-place-on-july-28

Joe
Big difference in announcing the date and time for an event to introduce a new camera that is two weeks out compared to something that is completely unspecified and purely designed to stop the exodus.

by ricardo00 on Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:31 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
George DeCamp wrote:Not much info just a teaser, seems to be their new thing.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/z9iscoming.page

Due this fall.
  Yep few details and much speculation.  I was thinking/hoping it might be a lighter way for me to get the low light capabilities of the D6 but from one report the low light ability of the Z9 are not that impressive?  Guess because of the smaller pixels?  Or is this due to the stacked CMOS sensor?

by Gary Gulash on Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:10 pm
Gary Gulash
Forum Contributor
Ricardo00 do we even know if it will be any lighter, looks pretty hefty in the one photo showing the built-in vertical grip. Or as E.J. refers to it, a behemoth.

by ricardo00 on Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:28 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
Gary Gulash wrote:Ricardo00 do we even know if it will be any lighter, looks pretty hefty in the one photo showing the built-in vertical grip. Or as E.J. refers to it, a behemoth.
  Nope we don't know its weight but I would be very surprised it it weighed more than a D6.  According to the pic comparisons on Nikon Rumors, it looked smaller than a D6.  E.J. said a behemoth in comparison to other mirrorless cameras, not in comparison to something like a D6.

by Gary Gulash on Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:35 pm
Gary Gulash
Forum Contributor
Hey Ricardo, I hope you are right. A slightly larger mirrorless (compared to competition) that includes a battery grip and great Nikon haptics would be welcome. Might just be that goldilocks size for some people.

by ricardo00 on Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:49 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
Gary Gulash wrote:Hey Ricardo, I hope you are right.  A slightly larger mirrorless (compared to competition) that includes a battery grip and great Nikon haptics would be welcome. Might just be that goldilocks size for some people.
 Yep Gary I wouldn't mind having a mirrorless camera that is about the size of my D500 and close to its weight.  And the bigger battery sure would be great to have with a mirrorless from my understanding how fast they burn through batteries.  So will be awaiting more of the specs as they become available.

19 posts |