E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Minor update but it does claim some improved eye-AF:
https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/index.html

by Khoe on Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:42 am
Khoe
Forum Contributor
E.J. I have a couple of question on this subject. I have a Z6ii and wondering if this update is necessary at this time? I'm really not into video that much, more photography. Does this update include fixes for the black out in continuous shooting mode? I have heard an update for this is coming. I really don't want to send it in now and then have to send it in later for that update as well. Hate being without camera for that long even though I have a backup D500. 

Interested in your thoughts on these updates and upcoming updates. Sorry in advance if you have already covered this subject, I did go back to look but maybe not far enough.

Thanks,

Boyd

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:26 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Khoe wrote:E.J. I have a couple of question on this subject. I have a Z6ii and wondering if this update is necessary at this time? I'm really not into video that much, more photography. Does this update include fixes for the black out in continuous shooting mode? I have heard an update for this is coming. I really don't want to send it in now and then have to send it in later for that update as well. Hate being without camera for that long even though I have a backup D500. 

Interested in your thoughts on these updates and upcoming updates. Sorry in advance if you have already covered this subject, I did go back to look but maybe not far enough.

Thanks,

Boyd
Hi Boyd, I would always do them about a week after they are released.  Quite often there are undocumented behind the scenes bug fixes included.  The reason for waiting a week is to be sure that some new bugs didn't get introduced - might as well let others (like me ;) ) be the beta testers :D

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:41 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Khoe wrote:..........
I really don't want to send it in now and then have to send it in later for that update as well. Hate being without camera for that long even though I have a backup D500. ......

Thanks,

Boyd
You don't need to send it in. It is a download.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Kerry on Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:26 pm
Kerry
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
Khoe wrote:..........
I really don't want to send it in now and then have to send it in later for that update as well. Hate being without camera for that long even though I have a backup D500. ......

Thanks,

Boyd
You don't need to send it in. It is a download.

Joe
Took the words right out of my mouth; you can implement the firmware update yourself.  No need to send the camera to Nikon service (or anywhere else).

The update for the Z6ii, along with instructions for carrying our the process, can be found here.

The Z7ii firmware update can be found here.

by Khoe on Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:06 pm
Khoe
Forum Contributor
Thanks EJ, Joe and Kerry.

Forgive me but this is the first time I have ever done an update and just want to make sure I do it right. I have read instructions but they are not crystal clear to me. I have a Mac system, can I just hook camera up to computer via the cord and it will download right to it? Yes I have a formatted memory card in camera now, will it go straight to there? Or do I put download on a jump drive, but then how do I get it in the camera?

I apologize in advance.

Boyd

by Kerry on Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:12 pm
Kerry
Forum Contributor
Khoe wrote:Thanks EJ, Joe and Kerry.

Forgive me but this is the first time I have ever done an update and just want to make sure I do it right. I have read instructions but they are not crystal clear to me. I have a Mac system, can I just hook camera up to computer via the cord and it will download right to it? Yes I have a formatted memory card in camera now, will it go straight to there? Or do I put download on a jump drive, but then how do I get it in the camera?

I apologize in advance.

Boyd
Hi Boyd.

The short answer to your question (re connecting the camera to your Mac) is no.  You'll need to copy the firmware file directly to that formatted memory card via a card reader.  Here are the written instructions from the Nikon website:

==============

1. Download F-Z6II-V110M.dmg.

2. Double-click the F-Z6II-V110M.dmg icon to mount a disk image containing a folder named “Z6IIUpdate”, which in turn contains the following file:

3. Z6_2_0110_01.bin (the camera firmware)

4. Using a card reader, copy “Z6_2_0110_01.bin” to a memory card that has been formatted in the camera.

Note: Be sure to copy the firmware to the root (top-most) directory of the memory card. The camera will not recognize the new firmware if it is placed in a folder under the root directory.

5. Insert the memory card into the slot currently selected as the primary slot on the camera and turn the camera on.

6. Select Firmware version in the SETUP MENU and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the firmware update.

7. Once the update is complete, turn the camera off and remove the memory card.

8. Confirm that the firmware has been updated to the new version.

=================

An even more extensive set of instructions, complete with guiding images, can be found here.

by Khoe on Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:37 pm
Khoe
Forum Contributor
Thank you Kerry. It took a couple of try's but I got it done.

Boyd

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:09 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here’s a link to info on easily updating the firmware on a Nikon camera:

https://camerajabber.com/tutorials/how- ... -firmware/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

9 posts |