Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 16 posts | 
by jnadler on Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:52 am
jnadler
Forum Contributor
With 75 percent of my photography subjects being smaller songbirds, I have always used Canon crop sensor bodies with my Canon 500mm and 1.4 extender. Even then, varying degrees of cropping might occur. I still use a 7D mk2.  With a growing interest and time spent on mammals in lower light, the noise factor even with Topaz cleanup is not ideal. Time to consider a full frame but sticking with Canon due to lenses owned. Of course, the choice comes down to R5, R6, and 5D mk IV.  A friend just acquired the R5 and sent it back due to an assumed sensor misalignment issue. Not sure this is a real issue or web chatter not real.  The R6 20 megapixels for cropping bothers me. The 5D frames per second is not an ideal mammal camera. So there is no clear answer for me.  I appreciate suggestions.

by Mike Veltri on Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:31 am
Mike Veltri
Forum Contributor
jnadler wrote:With 75 percent of my photography subjects being smaller songbirds, I have always used Canon crop sensor bodies with my Canon 500mm and 1.4 extender. Even then, varying degrees of cropping might occur. I still use a 7D mk2.  With a growing interest and time spent on mammals in lower light, the noise factor even with Topaz cleanup is not ideal. Time to consider a full frame but sticking with Canon due to lenses owned. Of course, the choice comes down to R5, R6, and 5D mk IV.  A friend just acquired the R5 and sent it back due to an assumed sensor misalignment issue. Not sure this is a real issue or web chatter not real.  The R6 20 megapixels for cropping bothers me. The 5D frames per second is not an ideal mammal camera. So there is no clear answer for me.  I appreciate suggestions.
I shoot with the R5, and have never seen a post about the sensor being out of alignment. I was shooting pro Canon bodies for the last ten years, and I really don't miss the 1Dx Mark II. If you are considering the two cameras, you should do some research about the two cameras as there are differences between them. My 600 II with the adapter produces sharper images with the R5 than the Mark II did.

All my EF glass worked perfectly with the R5, but I have now sold off most EF glass for RF glass, as I don't like having to use an adapter. :)

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:10 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Bottom line, the R5 is the very best camera Canon has ever made and is the most versatile.  Even considering a 5D4 at this point is a  mistake IMHO.  it's a horrible sensor by any standard after about 2012, the Canon R lenses are so much better than the EF lenses and quite frankly, the DSLR is over.  Just calling it how I see it ;)

by jnadler on Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:41 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Bottom line, the R5 is the very best camera Canon has ever made and is the most versatile.  Even considering a 5D4 at this point is a  mistake IMHO.  it's a horrible sensor by any standard after about 2012, the Canon R lenses are so much better than the EF lenses and quite frankly, the DSLR is over.  Just calling it how I see it ;)
Thanks E.J.  I had a feeling the R5 will be my best move.  Now I need to decide whether to acquire Infinity Photo or subscribe to Adobe.  I do use layers for almost every photo processed, always considering the bird and background as separate photos to process.

by WJaekel on Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:16 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Bottom line, the R5 is the very best camera Canon has ever made and is the most versatile.  Even considering a 5D4 at this point is a  mistake IMHO.  it's a horrible sensor by any standard after about 2012, the Canon R lenses are so much better than the EF lenses and quite frankly, the DSLR is over.  Just calling it how I see it ;)
Hmm, I always appreciate your expertise, E.J., but rating the sensor of the 5D IV  being "horrible after 2012" seems too harsh, IMHO. I also would vote for the R5 by today's standards and especially agree as for its versatility though I personally still value the OVP of my 1-series DSLRS for some kinds of fast moving wildlife. The R5's sensor overall is better than the one of the 5D IV - especially considering the higher resolution, but I wouldn't judge the 5DIV which still serves well for a lot of photogs being horrible sensor-wise.

The 5DIV is not worse at higher ISOs demanded here for low light conditions - and not that bad at lower ISOs compared to the R5 with ES, at least.

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Chart/P ... S%20R5(ES)

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/ ... OS%20R5_14

ML is the future but DSLRs have reached a very high standard, too - and there's also a lot of marketing for pushing people to switch to MLs given the satured market for DSLRs. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Just my two cents - I have both the 5DIV and R5, btw. :) 

Wolfgang

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:55 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Wolfgang, my point is that every full frame sensor on the market has outperformed the Canon 5D IV sensor for dynamic range. Yes the 5D IV was the best Canon sensor until the R5 but compared to other ones, it underperformed. Even today, at base ISO, the R5 sensor only matches the performance of the 2014 a7R sensor for dynamic range. As for noise, you have to look beyond the charts but actually look at the quality of the noise, the older Canon sensors have a lot of banding in the noise which is very difficult to get rid of compared to a more uniform distribution of noise.

Regardless, we agree that the R5 is the best choice :)

The R5 EVF is pretty decent but EVF action shooting does take a bit of getting used to, the a1's is next level and might change your mind on EVF use...

by rajandesai on Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:12 am
rajandesai
Forum Contributor
Member #:01263
If anybody is having trouble finding R5, canon direct store has it in stock. Not sure how long though.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:17 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
rajandesai wrote:If anybody is having trouble finding R5, canon direct store has it in stock. Not sure how long though.
I believe that demand is far outstripping supply at the moment.

by jnadler on Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:59 am
jnadler
Forum Contributor

E.J.  

Would it be worth considering awaiting a rumored R7 to have a crop sensor for birds in a more advanced body?

by Robert Royse on Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:28 pm
Robert Royse
Forum Contributor
I replaced my 5d4 and 7d2 with an R5 several months ago and at this point I couldn't consider ever going back. All my EF lenses work much better with it. The focusing is so much more accurate and focusing points are available across the frame into the corners. Your 500+2x will accurately focus anywhere in the frame for example. It has breathed new life into my 800, especially with the 1.4x attached.

The only DSLR I kept is my old 1D4 which is a reliable workhorse that is worth more to me than what I would get for it at this point. I do wish that the R5 had a APS-H 1.3 x crop mode which would be a very useful 26mp or so. The APS-C 1.6x crop is about 17mp if that is enough for you.

The R5 has the largest full frame sensor I have ever used and really shows the weakness of your lenses, but most of my EF lenses are up to the task. The only new lens I felt I had to get was at the wide end. Canon doesn't really offer anything there that I really want right now, but I'm loving my new 14-24 f2.8 Sigma ART on it.
Bob Royse
http://www.roysephotos.com

by jnadler on Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:32 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
Robert Royse wrote:I replaced my 5d4 and 7d2 with an R5 several months ago and at this point I couldn't consider ever going back. All my EF lenses work much better with it. The focusing is so much more accurate and focusing points are available across the frame into the corners. Your 500+2x will accurately focus anywhere in the frame for example. It has breathed new life into my 800, especially with the 1.4x attached.

The only DSLR I kept is my old 1D4 which is a reliable workhorse that is worth more to me than what I would get for it at this point. I do wish that the R5 had a APS-H 1.3 x crop mode which would be a very useful 26mp or so. The APS-C 1.6x crop is about 17mp if that is enough for you.

The R5 has the largest full frame sensor I have ever used and really shows the weakness of your lenses, but most of my EF lenses are up to the task. The only new lens I felt I had to get was at the wide end. Canon doesn't really offer anything there that I really want right now, but I'm loving my new 14-24 f2.8 Sigma ART on it.

Ordered the R5!

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:14 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
jnadler wrote:

E.J.  

Would it be worth considering awaiting a rumored R7 to have a crop sensor for birds in a more advanced body?
You can always wait for the next thing - there's always something better on the horizon...  

by jnadler on Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:58 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
jnadler wrote:

E.J.  

You can always wait for the next thing - there's always something better on the horizon...  

Day one of R5 play. Impressive camera.

by DChan on Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:35 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
jnadler wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
jnadler wrote:

E.J.  

Day one of R5 play. Impressive camera.

Have you taken any long exposure shot with it??

by gary woods on Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:00 pm
gary woods
Forum Contributor
Robert Royse wrote:I replaced my 5d4 and 7d2 with an R5 several months ago and at this point I couldn't consider ever going back. All my EF lenses work much better with it. The focusing is so much more accurate and focusing points are available across the frame into the corners. Your 500+2x will accurately focus anywhere in the frame for example. It has breathed new life into my 800, especially with the 1.4x attached.

Robert, have you had any issues with using your usual processing work flow with Adobe RAW and Photoshop when you went from your 7d2 to the R5? Any trouble with the colors for instance, or anything else you had to adjust?
Gary Woods
http://www.woodshots.com

by Robert Royse on Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:54 pm
Robert Royse
Forum Contributor
gary woods wrote:
Robert, have you had any issues with using your usual processing work flow with Adobe RAW and Photoshop when you went from your 7d2 to the R5? Any trouble with the colors for instance, or anything else you had to adjust?
The R5 files look great to me. I still use ARC in Photoshop to process my photos and am doing nothing different in particular. There was zero learning curve. With that said, I never used the 7D2 very much. I haven't done very much bird photography lately. The past few years I had mostly been using the 5D4 and occasionally the 1D4 for other things.
Bob Royse
http://www.roysephotos.com

16 posts |