Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by pablo on Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:49 pm
pablo
Forum Contributor
Prior to my switch to mirrorless, I had a Vello  Freewave Aviator to control my Canon 600EX-RT with a DSLR.  The Vello setup was complicated but worked until when I was in Yellowstone on a winter program.  Refused to work. The ability to position the flash without any cables was great for adding a little fill to macro situations.  I put the flash on a small ground tripod using a cold shoe. Want to get that going again using my R6 and the 600EX-RT.  I see a number of choices from YongHuo and Godox to name just two.   All I want is to use fill flash in ETTL mode.  Suggestions?   I'd like to hear what has and has not worked.  Thanks.

by Brian K. on Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:14 am
Brian K.
Lifetime Member
Member #:00115
pablo wrote:Prior to my switch to mirrorless, I had a Vello  Freewave Aviator to control my Canon 600EX-RT with a DSLR.  The Vello setup was complicated but worked until when I was in Yellowstone on a winter program.  Refused to work. The ability to position the flash without any cables was great for adding a little fill to macro situations.  I put the flash on a small ground tripod using a cold shoe. Want to get that going again using my R6 and the 600EX-RT.  I see a number of choices from YongHuo and Godox to name just two.   All I want is to use fill flash in ETTL mode.  Suggestions?   I'd like to hear what has and has not worked.  Thanks.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?l ... sku=847537
[b]Brian D. Kennedy[/b]
[b]NSN 0115[/b]
http://www.bdkennedy.com

by pablo on Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:53 am
pablo
Forum Contributor
Brian,  thanks for the reply.    I am aware of the ST-E3-RT which handles 15 Speedlites in up to 5 groups for $295 plus tax.  Seems like using a sledge hammer to open an acorn.  I am hoping to hear from members about their experiences -good or bad-   using simple one Speedlite arrangements with  less expense.

by dbolt on Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:29 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Member #:00842
Pablo,

Have you considered setting the flash to manual (M)? Then, most any remote trigger will work. I was never satisfied with my success using eTTL settings. I'm now using three speedlites all set on M for birds on our patio.
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA
http://dougboltphotography.com

by pablo on Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:32 pm
pablo
Forum Contributor
What has been your experience with the remote triggers for reliability and durability?
I've seen a lot of negative ratings on the B&H site.

by pablo on Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:11 pm
pablo
Forum Contributor
What has been your experience with the remote triggers for reliability and durability?
I've seen a lot of negative ratings on the B&H site.

by dbolt on Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:45 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Member #:00842
Pablo,

I have several Yongnuo RF-602RX for the speedlites and a trigger I think was also from Yongnuo, but I can't find a nameplate.  These were the least costly I could find at the time (several yr ago), but they work.  I frequently use a 602 plugged into the electronic shutter release and a trigger in my pocket when I want to actuate the shutter remotely.  I have don't know if they support HSS.  I'm guessing, based upon the price and time of purchase, that they do not.
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA
http://dougboltphotography.com

by pablo on Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:03 pm
pablo
Forum Contributor
Here’s a big “thank you“ to Douglas Bolt for suggesting the YongNuo transceivers.  I spoke with rep at B&H, and his answers fit with what Douglas said.  Received a pair of YN622C II E TTL units. They work well with both EOS R and EOS R6.  There was some confusion with recommendation of setting the flash unit to SLAVE.  Doesn’t seem to matter, but the units seem sensitive to the voltage.  There are recommendations to avoid NiMH rechargeable batteries due to lower voltage.   Will see if alkaline are more reliable.  About $90, it  beats $250 plus for the Canon unit.

I did try to get the Vello Aviator to work. Unreliable and complex.  Like the YongNuo,  they worked more often set to master which is opposite to the manual.

Now I can ditch the cord for fill flash with my 500 mm, and with macro come spring.

8 posts |