« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:46 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Hi,
I'm looking at the Flexshooter ball heads. The load capacity of the mini is up to 21 lbs, which would seem to more than my intended uses(sony 200-600, TC + body) or even if I bought one of the big guns like the 400f2.8 or 600f4, the mini seems more than adequate.
Anyone using these heads and have an opinion on the mini versus pro versions? The price difference between the two is negligible but the mini is more compact and lighter.
Thanks!
Scott

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:50 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I'm not familiar with them but a head that can carry 21lb does not mean that it will be stable with that kind of weight, especially in wind. My personal rule of thumb is to get a rating that is at least 4x the maximum weight I would ever mount and preferably 5x.

by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:06 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:I'm not familiar with them but a head that can carry 21lb does not mean that it will be stable with that kind of weight, especially in wind.  My personal rule of thumb is to get a rating that is at least 4x the maximum weight I would ever mount and preferably 5x.

The price difference isn't enough to factor in the decision and you're correct. I use the same philosophy with tripods.

by rene on Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:57 am
rene
Forum Contributor
I’m using the full blown version of the Flexshooter ( Uniqball clone) with A9II and 200-600 and 100-400 with and without converter. I also the Flexbrudge so I can mount 2 bodies with 2 lenses side by side when working from a hide. If price difference is minimal I would go for the larger version.
Rene

by Wildflower-nut on Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:52 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I've got both size uniqball heads. I guess I never considered anything larger than a 100-400 for the small one.

by pablo on Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:56 pm
pablo
Forum Contributor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:I'm not familiar with them but a head that can carry 21lb does not mean that it will be stable with that kind of weight, especially in wind.  My personal rule of thumb is to get a rating that is at least 4x the maximum weight I would ever mount and preferably 5x.

The price difference isn't enough to factor in the decision and you're correct. I use the same philosophy with tripods.
I was taught by a seasoned equipment designer this truth:

There are only two things that you can build too heavy- submarines and airplanes.

by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:28 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Well, I went for the bigger one. Maybe overkill, but better sturdier than I need than barely adequate.

by Biff on Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:28 pm
Biff
Forum Contributor
Hi, I use the Flexshooter pro as my standard head, I can highly recommend it. I especially like:
- the low weight (e.g. compared to a large ball head from RRS) and the stability
- the function of the 2-way head when the silver screw is loosened
Sure, with a really heavy lens it is better to use a gimbal head.
You should also not use tripod adapters with the ARCA Swiss UniQ / C standard, such as those from Novoflex, which slip through. Adapters from RRS, Kirk, Wimberley, ... work.
If you only use the head as a classic ball head, you may miss a friction screw, which the Flexshooter doesn't have.

8 posts |